• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

sochi2014

kuba

TRIBE Member
I can't believe the amount of press the Team Canada meeting has had over the last few days, and how they played road hockey, and how this and that and this. Jeez man the sports media in this country is super starved for ANYTHING hockey related when it isn't hockey season, isn't it?

To me, the olympics isn't a big deal. I don't care if a bunch of NHLers win a gold medal. Sure it would be nice to see them do it but if they don't, it's not that bad.

Sochi 2014 is going to definitely be the "gay games", as people are calling it. I'm interested to see just what/if any/crackdownt here will be by the Russian Government during the olympics. I heard that athletes and teams will be exempt from prosecution or arrest. If that's the case I hope someone stands up and makes a real big fat middle finger to the world for allowing the games to happen in such an ass-backwards place. Then again, if it happened in China with their glowing human rights record, it can happen anywhere.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
no there are many goalies ahead of him.

While I'd like to say I won't watch the olympics, chances are I'll watch the hockey and that's it. I would rather see this olympics run a major deficit than see the Russian gov't profit from them.

The violent acts against gays to the archaic laws they are passing are reason enough that they should fail

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
well these ones aren't going into the black, that's almost certain. Looking at the wikipedia entry, China said they made a profit of $146 milion off the Beijing Olympics but Japan actually burned their books after Nagano, the shame was so acute. Athens lost $14 Billion. Sydney, Vancouver and London were said to "break even".

For Sochi, Russia estimated to have spent $50 billion on the games- more than China spent on Beijing, which itself was truly a shameless display of national pride (but very well presented it must be said... most of the venues sit empty and unused now however, as is common with many post-Olympic buildings).

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
acheron, i'm with you. I think it's a huge racket most of the time and the money should be allocated or any money spent should be matched with the parallel funding going to poverty eradication and improving infrastructure, education, healthcare, and elminating debt.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I know, right? Whenever I hear Toronto city councillors buzzing about an Olympic bid I shudder.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tobywan

TRIBE Member
For Sochi, Russia estimated to have spent $50 billion on the games- more than China spent on Beijing, which itself was truly a shameless display of national pride (but very well presented it must be said... most of the venues sit empty and unused now however, as is common with many post-Olympic buildings).
Just heard the interview on Q with the director, and looking forward to watching the documentary tomorrow night on The Passionate Eye.

Putin’s Games - The Passionate Eye

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
So the Czechs named their Olympic hockey team today...

Petr Nedved is on the team! He's 42, that's older than Jagr (also on the team) for those keeping track.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Not sure why a struggling vet like Nash gets to go along for the ride, when a vet who still puts up good numbers and oozes character like Marty St.Louis is left behind. I would have liked to see Giroux on the team as well, probably over Carter.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
this is bullshit, fucking kevin lowe and tambellini. fuck the false prophets in edmonton. they are out to lunch. Yzerman should've booted those punk bitches. Mario and Wayne never would've let this happen. This team is toast.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Giroux off is a mistake, I like Nash and I think he'll excel in that environment. I also like the inclusion of Tavares

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Not sure why a struggling vet like Nash gets to go along for the ride, when a vet who still puts up good numbers and oozes character like Marty St.Louis is left behind. I would have liked to see Giroux on the team as well, probably over Carter.
I agree. They got it right if they take out Nash, Carter, and Kunitz and put in Thornton(5th in league scoring!), St. Louis(Art Ross winner!), and Giroux.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
thornton is too slow for the big ice
st louis should be on same with giroux, bye bye nash and kunitz

subban is gonna get a heap of penalties with the iihf rules
smith is playing like shit and lou has been hurt twice in the last little bit.

price and lou also have a penchant for folding like cheap suits under pressure and arent known for being very steady
how bernier wasnt even on the radar considering the numbers he is putting up getting 40 shots a game with absolutely no d in front of him is beyond me.

way to think outside the box rolleyes

Last edited:

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Nothing can compare but that applies for a lot of people. Don't forget he played in several World Championships as well.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
he is also old as hell
glad they put duchene on and tavares

they cant just keep going with the old boys club, that has been their downfall quite a few times.

and why the fuck is kevin lowe even near this team????? take a look at what his stewardship has done to the oilers ffs

bring the best team, not the most recognizable