• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

soccer party turns violent

quantumize

TRIBE Member
Soccer Party Turns Violent Following Portugal Win
Sunday June 11, 2006
Even in a celebratory atmosphere, even among friends, bad things can happen.

That was proven Sunday afternoon, when celebrations following Portugal's World Cup victory over Angola turned ugly in Toronto's "Little Portugal" neighbourhood.

It's not entirely clear why, but as many reveled in the victory a mob of about 40 people sparked a bloody brawl, throwing bottles at each other. The end result: two people were sent to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Though police say the incident wasn't actually related to the soccer game, the sudden mayhem proves a serious point about the dangers of large crowds surrounding the month-long World Cup festivities.

"We had a couple of officers that were injured as well from the mele," said Sgt. Jeff Zammit of the Toronto Police.

"A couple of them got punched in the face and spat on which is unfortunate too."

Things got so bloody, cops say stains were left all over the streets prompting fire crews to come in and clean up the mess.

"That's not supposed to happen, we should be celebrating, not fighting about it," said Portugal fan Maria Da Cruz.

Alcohol's being named as a potential factor in the clash, but with only two people in police custody and dozens more involved, it seems unlikely the causes will ever be known in full.

In the meantime, area residents and Portugal fans will have time to think about what went wrong, and how to stop it from happening again next time their team takes to the pitch.

"It obviously dampened the celebrations for the partygoers, but everybody when you sweep the street is here for a party, not problems," said Eduardo Everiano, another Portugal supporter.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact 14 Division at (416) 808-1400 or Crime Stoppers at (416) 222-TIPS.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_1088.aspx

i'm not sure if this was posted or not, but people need to cool the fuck out, its only a sport

acheron

TRIBE Member
I live in little Portugal and I poked my head out to listen for the honks and cheers after the game vs. Angola finished... Sure enough, it took about 5-10 minutes but it started up and continued well into the evening. I think the delay was due to people quickly settling their bar tabs so they could get to their red & green-festooned cars to go clog up Dufferin and Dundas.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

quantumize

TRIBE Member
All kidding ans soccer talk aside, I think people need to relax a little. People were honking until 3 in the morning lat night in woodbridge, I can't even imagine what your street sounds like if you live near ossington.

What ever happened to tact ?

acheron

TRIBE Member
It was bad enough during the Euro two years ago but this is the WORLD cup dammit... but christ yesterday was just the round robin, right? What's the point?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i was at dundas and ossington at 6:30ish yesterday and it was quite a scene.
about 20 angola fans were dancing in the middle of the street, blocking traffic on ossington, having a wicked time.
they were blasting music out of their SUV and hooting and hollering.
then a bunch of cops on horses showed up and chased them off. at first i thought the cops were being really heavy handed and power-trippy, but:
a) obviously there was some other bad shit going on in the area and
b) the drunken portugal fans were getting pretty agro and it seemed like some of them were looking for a fight.

too bad that people act like such jackasses sometimes, especially when sports and booze are involved.

moral of the story: i want to party with angola fans.

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
i was in the area for a bday dinner (but not for the brawl part) -- it was insanity. i actually felt really unsafe riding my bike down there, almost got taken out by a few flags hanging out of car windows.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
mutslaster said:
i actually felt really unsafe riding my bike down there, almost got taken out by a few flags hanging out of car windows.
Dude, that bike ride home was trouble! It didn't help that I was half in the bag, or that I decided to take Ossington up instead of one of the side streets.

Flag dodging everywhere.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
yeah citypulse had some headline yesterday saying that 2 people got stabbed. i take it thats the non-life threatening injuries that they're talking about in the article?

will, the centre of little portugal is dundas west and ossington. it extends up to college and over to dufferin and east to about manning.

Pyeddo

TRIBE Member
What ever happened to tact ?
amen....

England won on sat. morning... however i didn't see people going batshit crazy.. maybe a honk here or there at the flag outfront our place... but tact was definatly observed. If they win the group.. yea.. maybe some celebrating...

This is the first round, game one... and Porto fans are going ballistic. The best part? When Portugal loses and the Brazil flags come out... nothing like having 2 teams to cheer for and lots of room on the bandwagons

quantumize

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
moral of the story: i want to party with angola fans.
it does appear that different groups celebrate differently. I know trinidadians celebrated yesterday but I didnt see any trouble. I dont know why some groups cause such ruckuss and others just celebrate peacefully

I also dont see why the excessive celebration for a round robin win

Caz

TRIBE Member
Gotta love the dutch though. My team won 1-0 over Serbia yesterday and all we did was get blunted

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I went to my friends house party yesterday and she lives on college right by little Italy. It was all Portages(sp?) fans! one drunk skater kid standing in the middle of the road had to beep and cheer for him, so he would move out of the way. They should change little Italy signs with Little Protugal signs.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
portugese leaders hope canadians do not paint all portugese with the same brush of boorishness.

"these were a few bad apples among the vast majority of otherwise hardworking, peaceloving portugese"

"portugal is actually spanish for the word peace"

but caution was stressed that the mob was actually made up of youth from a variety of backgrounds including: portugese, brazillian, angolese and goan's.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Klubmasta Will said:
where is little portugal? is the food any good?

does 40 people really constitute a "mob"?

ps. car flags are gay.
1. dundas and ossington

2. the portuguese make nice crilled chicken

3. anything above 12 people with flags is a mob IMO

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
it wasn't even that great of a win, personally i was a little disappointed in my team. it's just a few people who like to get carried away with the celebration. using something like this as an opportunity to rag on the portuguese people as a whole is fucking ridiculous. i'm looking in pyeddo's direction you fucking racist.

TRO

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
but caution was stressed that the mob was actually made up of youth from a variety of backgrounds including: portugese, brazillian, angolese and goan's.

or from the islands *snicker*

I was right in front of that KFC for a good hour and it seemed like everyone was having a good time...I went there in my portugal jersey and a friend joined me who was an english supporter and he had on his jersey and no harm was done to him...

I think this incident was just little punk ass kids acting dumb...

by the KFC there were punk kids launching off fireworks during the game...

ohh well go portugal! (then brasil)

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I don't know about this, but my family went OFF. THE. HOOK. when Trinidad didn't get thoroughly destroyed by Sweden on Saturday (it was a zero-zero tie).

I don't think any of them got stabby, cappy, or cutty, though.