• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

So why does the World Cup look 100times better in HD than Stanley Cup Hockey in HD?

ian

TRIBE Member
I mean it looks WAY better. Brighter colours, sharper image. . .

All I do alll day is stare at the screen it looks so cool!

I've got some theories:

1) Farther away shots look good in HD?
2) Europeans have better HD equipment since they've had HD longer?
3) Daylight is better for HD then dark arena lights?

Does anyone know?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

beaker

TRIBE Member
i haven't seen it but it could also depend on who is broadcasting it. if it is going through satellite or digital cable, then there is a lot of additional compression added and maybe the hockey you saw was more heavily compressed than the world cup.

i've been told the best way to see hdtv is free-to-air if you can get it.

ian

TRIBE Member
Interesting. Thanks folks!

Back to watching the sport I know nothing about! I can't believe how good it looks on our TV though. My whole family lost their minds the other day when they came over to watch the game/father's day.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
The World Cup games in HD have been amazing. I often flip back and forth from non HD to HD and the quality difference is astounding....

Hockey was only so so.....

NFL is also fantastic!

Vise

TRIBE Member
ian said:
2) Europeans have better HD equipment since they've had HD longer?

Actually HD doesn't really exist in Europe in any cohesive form, they are lagging behind the rest of the world big time when it comes to HD. I'd say the reason it looks so good is a combination of of what is being broadcast (outdoors, natural light, grass) as well as the absolute best equipment being used.

With that being said, I wouldn't say the World Cup is the single best thing I've ever seen in HD... it does look great, but the Master's (golf) from 2005 comes to mind (as well as NFL football) as being even better.

vinder

TRIBE Member
i dunno about that. a couple years back the NHL did an exhibition game in an outdoor arena in winnipeg. the quality of that broadcast was up to par, if not better than what we're seeing in the world cup. when a player slammed on the breaks you could see individual crystals of ice in the cloud of snow that'd get kicked up, you could see every scrape and slash on the surface of the ice. it was pretty spectacular.

i think it's more the lighting in arenas that causes the picture to be not as sharp compared to football and soccer, as basketball doesn't always look that good either.