• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

So when did staff at Ontario Provincial parks start wearing bulletproof vests?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A few weeks ago I took a couple of days to camp out at Awenda Provincial Park and I was really surprised to see the staff wearing bulletproof vests, and this was during the week at a virtually unoccupied park. Is this a new thing?

The last time I was at a provincial park was when I was a kid and provincial park stuff tended to dress more like scout troop leaders instead of Toronto G20 shock troops.

I am sure there was just as much gun play in Provincial Park campgrounds back then as there is today.. What's up with this new militarization of Ontario Provincial Park staff? No wonder the daily rates are so high!

Kind of takes away from the family friendly sales pitch of provincial parks I reckon...

praktik

TRIBE Member
I imagine it has something to do with the plan to depopulate the earth, I'm sure the Bildebergers are behind it

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i noticed this too, but thought it was just a rogue police officer or something overstepping his jurisdiction. I think they are gradually being kitted out in tactical assault gear. It would bring me great safety in knowing my noisey site neighbour will be tasered and pepper-sprayed for playing Blake Shelton at unacceptable volumes.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
They carry guns too. Which make sense considering they often need to enforce regulations and have heated conversations with hunters who are often carrying firearms themselves.

Beings

TRIBE Member
Let's not worry until they start arming TTC drivers and School Crossing Volunteer's (or whatever they are). I am sure it is all for our safety.

acheron

TRIBE Member
remember we had to order TTC fare inspectors to not carry billy clubs a little while back. they still wear the vests though.

But of course transit in Toronto is a bloodsport...

djfear

TRIBE Member
It kind of makes sense when they're dealing with hunters. You don't wan to get shot for being mistaken for wildlife. This gives them protection in case of such an accident.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
A blaze orange vest is better protection than a bullet proof vest as far as mistaken identity goes. Those vests won't help much if they get hit with a hunting rifle.

Besides, we're talking car camping here right? I'd say most (but not all) car camping parks don't allow guns or hunting, and there are no hunting seasons during peak use periods anyhow. COs are the ones dealing with hunters

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
And FWIW, I had some folks steal stuff from my site at a provincial park once and once the warden made the bust the OPP took over from there.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Neither had I. Unwritten rule.
I had a hunch who It thought it was, purely based on how they looked when I did a drive around after I discovered it. The Warden asked me if I knew who it was and I told him I didn't have any proof but the guys round the way looked like they were up to no good- I also told him that I realize I looked like I was up to no good too but that was my hunch. I was right. They got taken away in OPP cars and I got all of my stuff back, including some stuff that I hadn't realized they'd taken!

derek

TRIBE Member
not new. depends on the park and region. sometimes they are the only 'law' around for miles.

Very Good Plus

I have noticed that same thing, and am not sure what the vests are for. It definitely makes the rangers feel less approachable.

Not a fan of this change either.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Very Good Plus

Also, I kinda feel for the rangers, those vests must make it hot as balls during patrol.

Wonder what the next security upgrade will be, MRAPs instead of pickup trucks?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
what a dumb rule. No hunting going on in provincial parks during the summer. If you need a bullet proof vest to ask me not to have a beer while i'm sitting and looking at a tree (even worse rule), then you need to re-evaluate your interpersonal skills.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Also, I kinda feel for the rangers, those vests must make it hot as balls during patrol.

Wonder what the next security upgrade will be, MRAPs instead of pickup trucks?
so new person, I am curious, did you rate Grundy Lake Prov Park once upon a time? I am asking because this person described the park warden as being "chill as balls". https://plus.google.com/101836970268070778271/reviews?hl=en&gl=ca

Obviously this review was the main reason for my visit to the park.