• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

So what's so good about Leslieville?

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Fish n' chips is supposed to be a cheap meal in the UK for under £5..there's a FnC thread around on Tribe somewhere with most places under $10

Vise

TRIBE Member
I'm sure part of it is cash grab but I'm also sure part of it is also rising commercial rent costs in the area too.
It's called pricing to the market... aside from the vocal minority here that likes to bitch about food prices :)p) the Leslieville residents they are targeting can/will pay for quality. The chef consulting at Riverside Public House was previously at Grace so I'd expect this to be better than average pub food... and seriously, those prices are totally in line with the area. Shit, that is in line with chain places like Boston Pizza and Jack Astors. Some of you guys need to get out to eat more often, entrees $20 and under at a decent mid-range restaurant is totally acceptable IMO.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
It's called pricing to the market... aside from the vocal minority here that likes to bitch about food prices :)p) the Leslieville residents they are targeting can/will pay for quality. The chef consulting at Riverside Public House was previously at Grace so I'd expect this to be better than average pub food... and seriously, those prices are totally in line with the area. Shit, that is in line with chain places like Boston Pizza and Jack Astors. Some of you guys need to get out to eat more often, entrees $20 and under at a decent mid-range restaurant is totally acceptable IMO.
Dustin from Top Chef Canada?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
It doesn't have to be quality, it just has to give the perception of quality. You can tell it's really good because they had lots of time left over to make fish after the 10mins they spent on their menu

Vise

TRIBE Member
Top quality halibut?
Absolutely, Halibut isn't remotely a cheap fish for the best quality. Agree it seems out of wack at $20 but I don't suspect it will be a standard takeout version given the chef's background and profile of the place. Time will tell...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Ah. I always assumed halibut was the cheapest because it's always around $7 for a fish and chips. Like maybe if they used skate or flounder...

Ionno. Anything deep fried in a batter shouldn't cost that much as you can easily use a cheap meat and it's hidden by the batter and sauce. Like who uses good steak for a stew?

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Traditional English style is either Cod or Halibut but you can have fish and chips whit any fish early. I would imagine in Cajun country they have tasty catfish and chips.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Met up for a coffee with a friend at the Merc and we picked up 2 donuts at Paulettes to try out. Rootbeer + Banana something. Nothing special. Over $6 with tax for 2 donuts! That's probably the last time I am going there, but at least I tried them.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Did the chicken look good?

It was on trays in racks I guess it is pre-fried and they just fry it again just before serving. It looked like ordinary fried chicken pieces to me but I am no connoisseur of deep frying.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
It's dinner time and all of a sudden I am craving Taco Bell which I haven't eaten in ages. Think it is time for Leslieville to have our very own Taco Bell. Maybe in Gerrard Square's food court? LOL

coleridge

TRIBE Member
It's dinner time and all of a sudden I am craving Taco Bell which I haven't eaten in ages. Think it is time for Leslieville to have our very own Taco Bell. Maybe in Gerrard Square's food court? LOL
I think Taco Bell is too high brow for the Gerrard Square food court.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
I think Taco Bell is too high brow for the Gerrard Square food court.
Which fast food chain is more high brow KFC or Taco Bell? Very funny to read as there has been a KFC in the food court for several years, probably over a decade. Besides, don't Taco Bell and KFC have the same parent company?

Anyway, I just wanted to see a Taco Bell in Leslieville. It doesn't necessarily have to be in Gerrard Square's food court.