• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

So what's so good about Leslieville?

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
I need details! I'm moving down that way in a couple of weeks and would like to hear some first hand knowledge.

Alexd, you've lived down that way for a while now haven't you?

thx.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
It's friendly and properties rose 19% according to a real estate guy.

Hip restaurants, cool cafes, tons of film people live in this area and you're right near Little India.

I just ate Mahar for dinner and I am totally paying for it. Spicy!

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
any little veg and fruit markets around? I know there is a meat shop around the corner from where I'm moving (Degrassi St.)
Also, what's it like at night along that stretch of Queen at night? i.e. - does my girlfriend have anything to worry about?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
1. the tulip
2. close to the beaches but far enough away
3. close to downtown but far enough away
4. Ed Levesques for brunch
5. even bettar when the wind blows in a southward direction
6. antique stores
7. gadabout vintage store
8. Sour Cream & Apple Pies from Altitude Bakery
9. Near the Martin Goodman Bike path (beach - lakeshore)
10. close to Leslie St. spit
11. Tango palace coffee shop (they have the most squares and brownies of anyplace)
12. Close to Cherry beach bike path.
13. Price Choppers for cheap groceries
14. big Loblaws for really expensive groceries but hot girls work there
15. Jumbo video has huge selection
16. Film Buff (new) has dvds for film buffs and great icecream cones (thier double dark chocolate is awesome and only 2 bucks in a wafflecone)
17. I live nearby
18. Little India right next door
19. Greektown right next door
20. No huge condo buildings anywhere in sight.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
21. great vintage audio stores, RING and the other one
22. Carbon computing (mac heaven)
23. Colorgenics pro lab
24. tons of photo studio space to rent
25. Always hot models waiting for the streetcar at Queen & Carlaw
26. great local gym the Cardioloft
27. great yoga and pilates instructors (asanayoga)
28. the biggest raccoons evar

sugar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd

7. gadabout vintage store
21. great vintage audio stores, RING and the other one
My sister's good friend works(ed?) at #7, and her dad owns Ring.

Bonjour Brioche at Queen & Degrassi is SO good.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by sugar
My sister's good friend works(ed?) at #7, and her dad owns Ring.

Bonjour Brioche at Queen & Degrassi is SO good.
the ring guy looks like richard Branson. is the girl at gadabout named pandora?

sugar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
the ring guy looks like richard Branson. is the girl at gadabout named pandora?
Yup!
Known her since she was 12 :D

Does she still work there? Tell her I say hi!

jeffpayne

TRIBE Member
I think what's really got me excited about moving into the area is that I haven't spent any significant amount of time in the area. And for someone like me, who is on the fence trying to decide whether he want's to stay in Toronto, every time I go there it's a completely different undiscovered area of T.O. It's like I'm on vacation, sorta.

Great list Alex, I'm looking forward to rummaging through all the antique shops.

I had lunch at the Brioche last Sunday!! Fuckin' fantastic!! I lucked out by having that half a block away for sure.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by sugar
Yup!
Known her since she was 12 :D

Does she still work there? Tell her I say hi!
i don't know if she still does.... what a cool name though, brave anyways. she was kind of cute too if i recall - in an eclectic sort of way

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by jeffpayne
what's that? sounds perty
it is a dinner that serves some of the best steak in the city (at a reasonable price too). Its at Queen St. Eqast @ Coxwell. Expect lineups on the weekends for brunch.

Best value is the steak n eggs

(will give you a taste of how good their steaks are)

deevah

TRIBE Member
what's that? sounds perty
aside from steaks, their lamb shoulder is really good. My bf loves their spaghetti & meat sauce and their pies are usually pretty good too. But they never have peach pie :(

MoFo

TRIBE Member
any little veg and fruit markets around? I know there is a meat shop around the corner from where I'm moving (Degrassi St.)
Also, what's it like at night along that stretch of Queen at night? i.e. - does my girlfriend have anything to worry about?
If you're near degrassi, you have a No Frills and a Sobeys (or Valu-Mart, I forgit), right at Pape and Gerrard.
There's also Chinatown, only place you can get 3 stalks of romaine for $1 and cherry tomatoes for $1 for two pints compared to Loblaw's where they sell them for $2.99 a pint. Like, COME ON.

rod_g

TRIBE Member
Still haven't tried the famous Tulip steak dinner, my bro in law keeps trying to get me to check it out... mmmm shteak

Vise

TRIBE Member
Other places for good eats in the hood:

Chinese Bakery (forget the name, on Broadview just south of Gerrard, east side)
Batifole (french, on Gerrard east of Broadview)
Tomi-Kro (next to Gio Rana's on Queen)
Verveine (Queen & Pape)
Dangerous Dan's (Queen and Broadview)
Square Boy (Danforth & Jones)
Asteria (for takeout souvlaki, Danforth & Pape)
Allen's (Danforth & Broadview... best burgers anywhere!)

And apparently I'm obsessed with food... :D

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
just watch out for the duke haha old schoooool watering hole....many drunkys stumbling about :)

I grew up in that area - went to leslie public school and I still live relatively close by (queen and vp)....

close to the beach
close to downtown

and all the stuff everyone else is mentioning - i am gonna have to check out film buff for the 2 dolla icecream and I adore gadabout

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
The east end rocks. Here's why:

1. the big Asian grocery stores on Gerrard near Broadview have the cheapest seafood and produce... just keep your elbows up and check your temper at the door.
2. Bill's Lobster... awesome fresh fish, HUGE lobsters, cheap prices
3. No Frills at Gerrard/Carlaw... amazing ethnic food selection, way cheap prices (frozen asian dumplings... yum)
4. Pho 88.... the best lunch under 5 bucks you can eat. YUM Pho...
5. The MCC church at Gerrard/Logan
6. Famous Indian Cuisine in Little India... their $8.99 dinner buffet is soooooo tasty, not greasy, and they have the best butter chicken in the city IMHO
7. 20-30 minute flat bike ride to anywhere downtown
8. Fruit King on the Danforth @Logan.... great prices, great selection of fresh produce
9. 10,000 villages on the Danforth... beautiful, fair trade gifts - make your money make a difference!
10. Katsu sushi on the Danforth @ Pape... ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT sushi for like $14.... includes all hot Japanese like tempura too.... AWESOME!
11. the view of the city from Broadview at the top of Riverdale park
12. the Value Village on Queen East near Carlaw
13. Tina's Nails on Pape across from Gerrard mall (tell your gf to get her mannies/peddies there... CHEAP!)
14. You're in the city... but firmly out of it too. Peace and quiet.
15. Little India. Little India. Little India. (go often - eat street food. listen to the music. buy incense)
16. Riverdale park, Monarch park, Withrow park.
17. Mocha Mocha on the Danforth has a brown rice salad to die for. Try anything there, it's great. Expect lineups on weekends.
18. Walking across the Bloor viaduct.
19. The flower shop on Broadview just south of Danforth... the selection is so beautiful, the prices are good and you can make your own bouquets to impress your GF...
20. Walking around the Riverdale neighbourhoods and looking at all the big old brick homes.

And so much more... you'll love living in the east end. And yes, I consider it very safe and your GF shouldn't be worried walking around at all. Enjoy!

kuba

TRIBE Member
hit up gerrard and broadview for east-chinatown veggies.