1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

so my external soundcard fried????

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by kyfe, Oct 13, 2010.

1. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I have a presonus firebox that I use in my studio and when I travel abroad, when I was in Amsterdam preparing for a gig I plugged in the adaptor and it stopped working.

for those unfamiliar it is powered via firewire but in order to start it up you need to use an adaptor because laptops don't produce enough power to initally start it, which is why you need to use the adaptor. The unit will not work with powering via firewire

now I need help, I took it apart and nothing looks toasted so I figure it's a transformer or something on the motherboard and I'm guessing I might be able to replace it or get it fixed.

Any idea where I could take it to have someone look at it?

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

unless its just the power supply itself that fried, it doesn't sound fixable. What kind of voltage are they using over there? Perhaps that blew it. I've also heard of rare occurrences where firewire can short out devices if unplugged at just the right angle - weird but apparently true.

First step though - try calling Presonus tech support

3. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

still not sure if it's just the adaptor as I don't have another one that fits ATM

they are 220 volts we use 110 volts, yeah I suspect it blew which is kind of a pisser because it's not really portable if I cannot use it around the world.

supposedly Presonus will have nothing to do with it but I'll shoot them an email

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

this is kind of a shitty situation. i personally think its wrecked.

fixed ;)

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

if this ends up being the case I'll report back

6. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

7. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

hey man thanks for the input, very much appreciated. I'll take a look around this weekend and reprot back.

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

took it in to ontario audio service (right next to Dj depot)
    at first blush it looks like the adaptor is not powering up so I've left the unit with them as they said they can repair the adaptor as they can be kind of difficult to replace.

one thing we discussed is the firewire issues with equipment, seems many short out due to static (not exclusive to presonus but more of a general firewire issue). Given that I had gone through customs and lugged it around for 2 days before finally plugging it in I think this may have been the cause.

just thought I'd mention it since I never even head of this firewire issue before. Supposedly USB doesn't have this issue

9. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

meh! get an audio 8 :)