• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

so i went to the vet today and got raped

kyfe

TRIBE Member
not litterally but my ass is still sore from the constant ramming action my wallet received.

I take my dog to the vet today for her regular annual checkup, it took about 30 minutes, in which time she got 2 shots an overall checkup and what they call a wellness check(the vet suggested this was a good idea since she's 8 years old). I also needed to get heartworm medication because it's that time of year.

so i get out to pay the bill, it comes to 350!!!!!!:mad: :( :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek:

the breakdown is like this
$60 for the vet consult
$150 for heartworm meds
$94 for this wellness test which includes a blood and urine test.

so i passed on the heartworm medication since i know i can find it online for alot less. After i left i got to thinking, I have this fucking cup for my dog to pee in now how the hell am I going to get her to pee in it?

I am not impressed, I take my dog to the vet to ensure she is in good health NOT to be upsold everything under the sun and to feel guilty when I don't buy something. When we moved I stopped using our old vet for the same reason, it's a shame that my pets health is more about money than it is about their wellbeing, this is an industry that have become more of a business and less of a medical practice.

Sadly the only conclusion i have come to is that my dog will now visit the vet every second year instead of every year. If anyone knows of a vet that for a regular annual checkup won't cost more than $100 (NOT INCLUDING HEARTWORM MEDS) please PM me.

chooch

TRIBE Member
pfft...that is nothing!

try paying over $1,000.00 to help out my constipated cat, Mr. Bones!
$670 at the emerg and then $230 at his usual vet for a follow-up. oh, and while Mr. Bones was there on the table, the vet looked at his teeth and mentioned he had tartar....$21.00 for a "dental exam".

Don't know if i'll replace my pets if they go to the big cat-house in the sky.

edit: i had pet insurance but they won't cover Bones...he is over their age limit of coverage.

Last edited:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
why dont' you get pet insurance, and stop complaining. (not amied at you chooch)

blood and urine tests in a mid age dog can save you spending thousands later on if they catch something early.

I found out my cat was heading to kidney failure at 4 because of a blood test that cost about 40 bucks.. so a coule months of medicine to clear an infecttion versus whatever the cost two years down the road after the kidneys were permanantly damaged.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
most vets are like stealerships. i recommend asking the cost of all services before you agree to them.

funny how most people with pets have had at least one negative experience with a veteranian.
seems many of them care less about your pet than their bank account..

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
does pet insurance cover regular maintainence checkups? I'm pretty sure it only covers major medical and operations

I'm not complaining lucky1 about having to go to the vet I understand it's importance and I think you missed my point. Imagine if your doctor started charging you $200 for a checkup everytime and then proceeded to tell you that you need this and that and the other just to be safe even though there is nothing wrong.

When price exceeds value and service it is time to question if it's necessary. I wouldn't put a price on my dogs health and luckily I've never been in that postion, but preventative maintainence IMO doesn't need to exceed $150 for the vet to turn a decent profit alot of the staff there are students who are not paid to work. and there is very little overhead and many other revenue streams.

sadly vet economics has encouraged vets to run their clinics more like a business and less like a service.

according to my calculations this trip cost me more than $10/minute i was in the office

lucky1

TRIBE Member
150 dollars for a complete check up on a dog including shots and blood and urine annalysis is not that expensive. The 150 dollar medicine seems steep, I agree I wouldn't pay that..... for the uncondiitonal friendship pets give us a yearly check up is woth the money IMO

what kind of dog is this.. the bigger they are the more expensive right?

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member

this is Haley she is an Purebred English Beagle she weighs 32lbs

she likes long rides in the car and pizza,

sorry studs this one's spayed

Caz

TRIBE Member
ev said:
pet the dog down.. cheaper.

and if you're really wanting to save money... do it yourself.
you have a certain gentle grace that can't be bought, ev

<3

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i think the key is to find a vet that you love and trust and who shares similar views on how much is "too much."

easier said than done, i know. i just paid $375 for totally standard shit. ahhh the joys of having TWO dogs.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Funny how pets in North America are spoiled with proper food and vet visits. Take a trip to Jamaica...... even though you can see the ribs on some of the dogs......they manage to live a long time.

Pfffft....ain't no dog food in the islands.....it's called scraps from your table. Chicken bones included!

If I believed in reincarnation.....I'd come back as a North American pet!

Open the Tender Vittles please....

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Actually the cost for the check up and health analysis is 'pretty reasonable' in 'vet' terms... When you think the $60 included the shots.. and the blood and urine analysis is probably farmed out to a chem lab that does the tests..

The Heartworm meds?? Yeah, no.. You can get them for cheaper.

My former puppy (now long since passed :( ), had congestive heart failure and the vet was charging us thrice what a regular pharmacy charges (It is the same medication for ppl).. Stupid vet ran out of the meds, wrote us a prescrip and told us to go to the nearest pharmacy.... , where we discovered the disparity.

Needless to say we went back to the vet and yelled at them in front of a packed waiting room (We'd actually considered having him put down because we just couldn't afford the cost of all the medications).
After that, found a new vet 'Macdonald/Fraser Animal Hospital', which is wonderful, but still asked for a prescrip for any meds that can be bought at the pharmacy... He did finally pass away from congestive heart failure, but at least we could give him the long happy life he deserved!!

Our 'new' pup only goes to Macdonald/Fraser... Amazing vets who are really good with the animals..

Last edited:

kyfe

TRIBE Member
NemIsis said:
Actually the cost for the check up and health analysis is 'pretty reasonable' in 'vet' terms... When you think the $60 included the shots.. and the blood and urine analysis is probably farmed out to a chem lab that does the tests..

The Heartworm meds?? Yeah, no.. You can get them for cheaper.

My former puppy (now long since passed :( ), had congestive heart failure and the vet was charging us thrice what a regular pharmacy charges (It is the same medication for ppl).. Stupid vet ran out of the meds, wrote us a prescrip and told us to go to the nearest pharmacy.... , where we discovered the disparity.

Needless to say we went back to the vet and yelled at them in front of a packed waiting room (We'd actually considered having him put down because we just couldn't afford the cost of all the medications).
After that, found a new vet 'Macdonald/Fraser Animal Hospital', which is wonderful, but still asked for a prescrip for any meds that can be bought at the pharmacy... He did finally pass away from congestive heart failure, but at least we could give him the long happy life he deserved!!

Our 'new' pup only goes to Macdonald/Fraser... Amazing vets who are really good with the animals..

sorry about the loss of your puppy, where is macdonald fraser? like i have said I don't mind paying for the service but i must know the vet has a vested interest in my dog and doesn't just see her as a cash machine

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Wow I think $350 is getting off easy.

We have 4 cats and a dog and the vet bills get waaaay up there.

The biggest vet bill was $2700 for my kitty who swallowed an ear plug and needed emergency surgery on a long weekend.

Pets are expensive..but so worth it!

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
sorry about the loss of your puppy, where is macdonald fraser? like i have said I don't mind paying for the service but i must know the vet has a vested interest in my dog and doesn't just see her as a cash machine
Actually Fraser-Maconald.. Changed it's name and I didn't notice..:)
1632 Bloor st. W Between keele and Dundas.. Don't know if that's good for you, but they are great.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
my previous roommate & her boyfriend dropped $1200 + on their cats surgery after it ate almost an entire roll of scotch tape (no joke). They came up with half, I think her parents loaned her the rest, and to pay them back they threw a "benefit" called 'Paying for Pussy'