• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

So I think i'm building a new computer.....

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
and I have no idea what i'm doing, but i'm figuring things out pretty fast. My sister's boyfriend, though, is experienced in this matter, and is helping me to construct it.

I was wondering a few things from this board. I am concerned about technical support, and I know that some of you are complete geniuses with computers.

I am moving to Sault ste. Marie in September. If it breaks on me up there, I dont know anyone to fix it for me. Do you think that one of you would be able to talk me through it? Do you think that this would result in a repair of an acceptable quality?

-and-

Can you give me advice on components, etc.? I'll be back on the board tomorrow around 11PM and I'll post what I have pretty much figured out by now. I suppose you're all curious of what I've got in mind.

Thanks in advance for the help :)
Peace & Love :)
Dave
alphastate~

seeker

TRIBE Member
in the past i have found the tribe g33k kru to be well-versed in the art of successfully helping users fix problems. :)

as for not having anyone to fix things when they're broke -- look in the mirror. if you're paying attention while building this box, you're on the track to being able to fix most of the problems you will encounter.

for extra help, check out the computer book section of your favourite book store. i have an older book by mark minasi that was a great help for me. this particular edition wouldn't be any good for you, but a newer one by this author probably would check for "PC Upgrade and Maintenance Guide" or a similar title.

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
Ok, so here's what I've been considering:

-Athlon XP 1800+ Processor $190

-ASUS A7N266 NVIDIA nForce w/ GeForce 2 Motherboard $216

-PC-2100 512MB DDR SDRAM (266MHz 184-pin DIMM) $209

-Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM Hard drive $205

-Panasonic CD-RW 24x10x40 $105

-AOpen HQ45 Aquamarine Transparent case w/ 300W PSU $72

-So, basically, what I need is cooling fans, a floppy drive (although I cant seem to find one for sale), my software (including the OS), and the sound gear.

For the Audio interface, what I want is an Echo Layla24 Or an M-Audio Delta 1010, but these run over $1000, so they are out of my price range for the time being. I will probably have to settle for something like an Echo Mia:

So, How am I doing? Does this sound like a good system, or are there problems with it? Any suggestions? Please?

Peace & Love
Dave :)
alphastate~

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
get a bigger drive. this is the ide I just got and its quite nice (8mb cache)

WD CAVIAR 120GB INT ATA/100 HD 3.5LP 9MS 8MB 7200RPM

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
the "G" in G4 means add 1 or 2 grand for a machine that is equal or slower.