• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

So I think I need glasses..

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
I can't believe it has come to this. My once 20/20 vision is a mere shell of itself. My vision is blurred when I try to look at things from a distance and even close up my vision isn't that sharp. I have major headaches if I am on my computer for over an hour. It doesn't help that my computer configuration sucks, meaning I have to sit close to the screen (I've rectified this with a wireless mouse and keyboard) So I figure I need glasses.

I don't know jack shit about getting glasses. I know OHIP doesn't cover eye doctors so I have to shell out. How long do these eye tests take, and how soon until I get glasses? I guess I want to be consoled about my once 20/20 vision eroding to the point where I need glasses.

This sucks...(no offense to those who wear glasses/contacts)...

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i have awesome vision...always have.
i dont know if its 20/20 ... i see well above average close up, or very VERY far away...drives my friends nutty that i can see road signs and license plates from so far away.
i think i would lose my marbles if my eyesight started to deteriorate...knock on wood.
depending on your works coverage, glasses can be partially covered, or completely..usually a pair every 2 years ...something like that.

kmac

TRIBE Member
It's about $100, it takes less than 10 minutes, and eye doctors are total hacks. Hope you pass your test!

I thought I need glasses but it turns out I am "very adept and intuitive" and notice floaters more than everyone else and my blurred vision is caused by "oily tears" and "dry conditions." His prescription? Put a wet cloth on my head.

Thank you, come again.

zoo

TRIBE Member
get your eyes checked at a "real" optometrist, don't go into a store and have them checked there, even if they claim to have a "certified optometrist"

i went to one store with a certified optometrist, and they wanted $80 for an eye test, F DAT! i went to another store without a certified opto, and the owner told me that he could give me a free eye test but that they would make sure to find something wrong so they could sell me glasses, and recommended that i go to a "real" optometrist first for a proper diagnosis

(you don't care but ...)

i've never been to an eye doctor, and the only time i had my eyes checked was for my drivers license, at which they told me i had 18/20 vision or something

i have no real problems seeing, i can see up close and very far, but i do get 'eye headaches' when i read for extended periods of time (i'm talking 5+ days straight of nose in books exam studying / reading from wake to sleep), and sometimes i find it difficult to -quickly- focus between close and far, like when i'm in a dark lecture room and i have to read an overhead projector screen that's 100+ ft away, then look down and read my notes ... that can be a strain ..

(conclusion)

i think i will hit an optometrist eventually just for the sake of, but i think that if you can see things alright like road signs, and can read books that are pretty close to your face, you probably don't need glasses.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
I'm doing the opt. thing tommorw. Timwe for new specs my self. any sales on before I go to my trust yet very pricy eyeglass depot?

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I know I need glasses but can't afford the appointment or the glasses yet. I just try to take breaks when I need to read all day but I usually get heachaches anyway.
*squints at screen*

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
if money is an issue, go to a place that has an eye doctor affiliated with it. they will usually allow you to deduct a portion of the cost of the eye test from your glasses purchase.
i.e. at hakim, you pay $70 for their eye doctor to do your test, and then get $50 of it rebated off your purchase of hakim Rx glasses.

if money is not an issue, find one that has a stand-alone office. do you have any benefits through work? you can usually claim at least a portion of the glasses, if not the eye test as well.

if you want some sick ass frames (not budget though) i recommend rapp optical on college near ossington. they will help you find ones that really suit your face, and they will push you to try stuff that seems kinda crazy but may be really great on you.
it will take about a week to get them back.

if you go to lenscrafters, they will make them in about an hour.

oh, and i recommend getting the thinner lenses, and get anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
i was one of those poor unfortunate four year olds with four eyes. but my eyes got better gradually and by the time i was 11 i didnt' need glasses anymore. then about 4 years ago i started noticing that when i was driving i had to practically be on top of the street signs to make them out. went to the optometrist and sure enough i am near-sighted again, but not too bad. got glasses, wore them, lost them at a frickin bar! argh! went to the opto again. my eyes are definitely worse now, but i still haven't bought the glasses. damned expensive! still... it's worth it. you don't want to fuck with your eyesight. or endanger yourself in the car when you are squinting up at the street signs, not looking at the road and then have to make a lane change last minute because you're about to miss your turn off.

give in and get glasses my friend. it takes a little while to get used to them, btw, but you'll delight in seeing things more clearly, as well as not getting so many damned headaches.

fucking computer screens. it's dem dat caused it. you sit in front of your computer all day so your eyes get so adjusted to looking at things from only a few feet away that they start to have difficulty focusing on things far away. or at least, that's what happened to me.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by kmac
I His prescription? Put a wet cloth on my head.

LOL

would have been better if he said you were going blind as a joke... i would totally do that to people!

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
I have 20/20 vision and I am the only person in my family that does not wear glasses.

My parents wear em, mr brother, all grandparents, all aunts, uncles and cousins and second cousins... all except me... and everyone has worn them since they were young... weird.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
I have to say go to an Optometrist, get a proper eye exam to make sure you don't have glaucoma or anything else. Get a proper prescription, and have the glasses made in a lab somewhere. Forget the glasses in a hour type shit.

If it takes a week to get your glasses it usually means they are being made somewhere where quality counts.

Foxy Rae

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
I have 20/20 vision and I am the only person in my family that does not wear glasses.

My parents wear em, mr brother, all grandparents, all aunts, uncles and cousins and second cousins... all except me... and everyone has worn them since they were young... weird.
It is the same way with me and my fam

deevah

TRIBE Member
Check w/ your work insurance if you've got it - sometimes they cover the cost of eye exams in addition to cost of getting glasses/contacts

awesome, u get to go glasses shopping!

acetate, metal or titanimium? frames or framless? really up to you

prada/gucci/ralph lauren all offer stylish frames that suit most faces - they tend to fit better on ppl w/ narrower heads

the japanese offer some crazy frames but again, usually for smaller heads/faces. Fukui, Takeo Kikuchi

jai kudo has some fun frames as well

it'll just be a new accessory - trust me, it gets addictive ;)

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev

adopted
;)

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
speaking of glasses - my boy needs a new set of frames and i've told him we have to go to rapp... but does anyone else have any other non-Hakim suggestions to try as well as rapp?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl, i used to shop at Specs and Specs before i discovered rapp, however why not check out Eyez in Ottawa?

Eyez
11 Murray St.
Ottawa
Tel (613) 241-5799

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by grumblegirl
speaking of glasses - my boy needs a new set of frames and i've told him we have to go to rapp... but does anyone else have any other non-Hakim suggestions to try as well as rapp?
This is going to surprise you, but I've found the best frames at Wal-Mart. Now, that may be because I have a small face and Wal-Mart seemed to have the best selection of smaller frames. I'm sure your boy doesn't have a small head, I'm not saying that he does...but Wal-Mart is definitely worth a shot. I've had my glasses for 3 years now and I still love them.

Plus, Wal-Mart is pretty darn cheap. You can't beat that!

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Pro:

Seeing everything very clearly is well worth the glasses.

Con:

Once you get glasses you'll no longer have bad eye sight as an excuse for bringing home dirties

vinder

TRIBE Member
go to an opthamologist, not an optomestrist. an optometrist will just confirm your vision sucks and give you a prescription. an opthamologist (aka a real eye doctor) will be able to diagnose a much wider range of issues.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by grumblegirl
i used to go to a place at bay/bloor that had pimp frames, but they closed down. if you go to hazleton lanes (avenue/bloor) there is an optical store which has really nice stuff, but is super expensive.

i'd recommend going to pacific mall or market village (steeles and kennedy), as the asian malls always have really nice stuff at reasonable prices. or even the optical stores in dragon centre in chinatown (spadina/dundas).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories