• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

So I have a friend....

Woody

TRIBE Member
who I just found out is shipping out to Afganistan tomorrow for three months to train the police there. He's also a member of the ETF here in Toronto as well as being in the reserves, which I think is part of the reason they asked him to go over there. While I know it's something that he has wanted to do for some time now, I am worried given the way things are over there (it is a "war" after all), that something very very bad is going to happen. I'm sure (and hope) it will all work out in the end, but who knows... Anyway, I don't really know why I wrote this, I guess I am just looking for people to send positive thoughts while he is there to maybe keep him safe....

*sigh* :(

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Woody

TRIBE Member
yes... I think he's been trying to head over there for a little while though, and the major stumbling block was that the police didn't want to let him go for a regular tour, hence them agreeing to a three month one. I think the average one is a year? or maybe 6 months, I don't really know....

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I think people underestimate how much working within that kind of field shifts one's priorities. While most civilians can't understand what would compel someone to want to go over there, in military circles, or elite tactical forces, such a thing is most often seen as a golden opportunity under the right circumstances.

It would be akin to working years training in computer programming, never getting to write software, then getting recruited to program for google or something similar.

Wish him luck, and a safe return.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
why would you want to go over into a situation like that? does this person honestly feel like they're going to make a difference over there? they'll prolly accomplish the same amount of good staying in T.O., running frogger-style back and forth from one side of the 401 to the other. same likelihood of success any way.

best of luck to your friend. sounds insane to me.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
I think people underestimate how much working within that kind of field shifts one's priorities. While most civilians can't understand what would compel someone to want to go over there, in military circles, or elite tactical forces, such a thing is most often seen as a golden opportunity under the right circumstances.

It would be akin to working years training in computer programming, never getting to write software, then getting recruited to program for google or something similar.

that's gay. big difference you're neglecting: this person could DIE.

further, what are they trying to prove to their superiors by going over there? that they have big balls, or are willing to follow orders, even when it means they're risking their life? to me it doesn't make sense.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
my point is that it would be different if we were talking about your life.

and i'm not a hippy. stephen harper is my dad.

deep

TRIBE Member
SweatyNuts said:
to me it doesn't make sense.

Like the man said. Some people have a different perspective on what's most important: themselves / their own well being or something bigger than them.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
i guess if it's just your life, then whatever. i just hope they don't have kids or a wife. then you're gambling with a little more.

deep

TRIBE Member
Sure. But I'm pretty sure the set of values also finds some consolation in a loved one dying to help others out. One of the kids who got blown up by the IED in Afghanistan - they had a picture of his funeral in the paper today. His father was wearing a Canadian flag tie, instead of publicly displaying his anguish towards the country or idea his first born son died for.

Woody

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:

Having been in the Military myself, I do understand what he is facing, which is primarily why I am worried. This is not a happy place to be, not that any war is, but this is particularly rotten. There is a reason that no one has really "won" anything over there before and I really think that it's going to get a lot worse than it is already.

As for why? Knowing my friend, it's not to prove anything to anyone, he is simply going over there because he feels it's the right thing to do. My friend is a very honourable person, and as long as I have known him, (which is a very long time) he has always strove to help people and to what he thinks is best. That's the whole reason he became a police officer in the first place...

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
deep said:
Sure. But I'm pretty sure the set of values also finds some consolation in a loved one dying to help others out. One of the kids who got blown up by the IED in Afghanistan - they had a picture of his funeral in the paper today. His father was wearing a Canadian flag tie, instead of publicly displaying his anguish towards the country or idea his first born son died for.

i guess i just don't agree that he can help the situation, or that canada should even be in there. again, only my opinion.

then again, i'm a hippie.

SweatyNuts

TRIBE Member
Woody said:
Having been in the Military myself, I do understand what he is facing, which is primarily why I am worried. This is not a happy place to be, not that any war is, but this is particularly rotten. There is a reason that no one has really "won" anything over there before and I really think that it's going to get a lot worse than it is already.

As for why? Knowing my friend, it's not to prove anything to anyone, he is simply going over there because he feels it's the right thing to do. My friend is a very honourable person, and as long as I have known him, (which is a very long time) he has always strove to help people and to what he thinks is best. That's the whole reason he became a police officer in the first place...

it's too bad there isn't any good to be done as a police officer here in the city.

Aeryanna

TRIBE Member
It sounds like a great thing your friend is doing by going over there to help in such a way. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make. Wish him luck and a safe return :)

OTIS

TRIBE Member
SweatyNuts said:
big difference you're neglecting: this person could DIE.

You think that's unique to that job? Or is it just that there more of a perceived risk with going to a war zone? Would you judge a lumberjack the same way if they made a career move to move onto bigger trees? It's a much riskier job than being in the military.

The point of my analogy was to draw a parallel between the career motives between two professions, not to equate their risk factor. It takes a bit of a paradigm shift away from reactionary logic to understand it.