• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

so i called my roomate a dish Nazis !!

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
okay so i live in a house with 5 girls. For the most part things run pretty smoothly and we get along. But lately one of them likes to post notes all over the house particularly in the kitchen about what they think needs improving. I find this ridiculous b/c for most part our house is immaculate compared to 90% of student house and this girl is quite a neat freak (were talking martha stewart). I particularly found this irritating especially lately when i'm swamped with final projects and don't need the extra stress from her.

So i kinda flipped on her after she put a detailed note about more stuff she believes needs improving and called her a "Dish Nazis". I am not an unclean person but i'm not obsessive and it really doesn't bother me if someone leaves a pot in the sink and cleans it later if they have somewhere to be. I find it ridiculous that i have to change my lifestyle to her ridiculous expectations ..yet she seems to think it is disrespectful.

I know i could have handled the situation better but i'm seriously at witz endz...i feel everytime i do something in my house i have to watch my step or she will put a note up about what i did wrong. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation?? any suggestions about how to handle a dish Nazis??

Jess

xtollo

TRIBE Member
ah man, the politics of sharing a house. I'm a similar scenario with this psycho brawd who lives with me. Same shit, my place is clean clean clean, the second a glass isnt put in the cupboard, ohhh cricky!

What did I do? Let it ride? If she wants to be mental about it, let her. I just lock myself in my room and post on tribe instead of flipping out.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Suggestion

Don't take anything seriously unless your roommate talks to you in person. Leaving a note is not an effective way to confront a situation, especially if they apparently feel strongly about it.

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
i also had a roommate fond of leaving notes. it's generally a sign of cowardice and an inability to confront people face-to-face, rather than an indication that they don't feel strongly about something.

my only advice to you is not to antagonize the situation further by using terms like, say, "dish nazi," and then leaving it at that. have it out. try to discuss it, in person, and not to worry about avoiding yelling or screaming. sometimes a house w. that many people just needs a good yelling match to clear the air and then you can all go about your business-- because the fact is, you and her obviously have different ideas of what 'clean' is and that won't be reconciled.

Michkey

TRIBE Member
I've been in a couple of houses lately where there were various post its with various messages to various people in various states of frustration.

Why can't people talk to each other (and without calling them dish Nazis no less)?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Michkey

TRIBE Member
Something else to keep in mind:

Sometimes people pick apart the less important problems and traits of other people because they are too critical of themselves, and in turn criticize the actions trying to make themself feel better.

So, simply tell your roomate that she is an insecure control freak, that her notes are weak, and that she should look at her own loser life before commenting on your actions. That should help.

joey

TRIBE Member
my first job was a dishwasher and i used to yell at everyone all the time for not cleaning their dishes or for not stacking them properly, etc...

they called me the dish natzi..

they i kept on yelling and swearing and then everyone was scared and they just didnt talk to me anymore

i hate washing dishes

Rosey

TRIBE Member
what do you mean by "leaves a pot in the sink and cleans it later if they have somewhere to be."? how long is later?

for example one of my roommates pretty much never does his dishes right away, everything is left for a minimum of 3 days. that's fucking disgusting and really annoying because if you want to use our relatively small kitchen it has to be clean. there is no space to stack somebodies dirty dishes while you work.

the problem is that he cooks his dinner, leaves his dishes, doesn't come home for dinner the next day, does his dishes the day after when he has dinner (and leaves the new dishes in the sink :rolleyes: ). in between his meals, me and the other roommate have had to prepare 7 - 10 (combined) meals working around his mess. the point i'm making is that although you may feel you did your dishes 'the first chance you got' they may have been a real inconvieniance to somebody else.

i lived in a co-op house with 9 other people for three years. the ONLY thing that worked was for people to do their dishes immediately after they finished eating.

i guess i'm a bit of a dish nazi myself. :)

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
thanks michkey

that could be true. She does not seem to get out much and is very non confrontational!

I guess i don't like to constantly focus on silly actions of daily life and i have noticed that a lot little things bother her alot. I guess that is just my personality.

thanks
jess

Rosey

TRIBE Member
my personal routine has developed to the point where i clean as i cook, so by the time i put food on the plate, the pot that it's coming out of is only thing that is dirty. and i usually clean that before i eat. then do my plate/bowl after i'm done.

of course, that is the ideal. i often get distracted or forget to do the last pot/plate. it happens.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
what do you mean by "leaves a pot in the sink and cleans it later if they have somewhere to be."? how long is later?
long is not that later, maybe a couple of hours if i'm in rush and have to go to work. but we have a ton of dishes so i don't think that is her issue, i think she just doesn't like any sort of mess.

jess

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey
my personal routine has developed to the point where i clean as i cook, so by the time i put food on the plate, the pot that it's coming out of is only thing that is dirty. and i usually clean that before i eat. then do my plate/bowl after i'm done.

of course, that is the ideal. i often get distracted or forget to do the last pot/plate. it happens.

exactly!when the food is cooking instead of watching t.v. I clean the knives, bowls, utensils, counter, etc.That way when I'm done my food I can relax and enjoy a nice spliff while readin tribe!

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
Nazis should be taken very seriously!
I suggest you buy a gun ... preferablly a shot gun so you can fight off those fascist repressors!

stu

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I hate people who don't clean after themselves. In 2nd year of university we had a rule in the house, if the dishes aren't cleaned for a unreasonable period time, the dirty dishes will be on your bed. :)

Pete

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Word! to Destro.

BBB.

Zippin' up my full camo suit and putting on my night-vision goggles.

"WE GOT US A NAZI HUNT, FOLKS!"

(Sound of round being pumped into chamber.)

Next thing you know they'll be drying the dishes..

..IN THE OVEN!!!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories