• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

So I bought a "Lenovo" ThinkPad

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
Hopefully someone will find this helpful, I was having a hard time finding solid reviews of ThinkPads after Lenovo took them over.

I have actually had the machine for about 10 weeks now. I will mention that I am a total ThinkPad snob, I use my notebooks all the time, beat the shit out of them, leave them outside in the freezing cold and ThinkPads have never let me down. It is a nice dark matte black - I wanted the titanium top, but could not justify it the cost.

The model I picked up was a Z60 14" wide screen, Pentium M 1.3 Ghz, 60g, 512 RAM, Combo drive (DVD +- RW). It still says IBM on it and looks a lot like the ThinkPads IBM was making.
Here are the pros:
- Keyboard. The keyboard is really really nice for a notebook. Nice and responsive keys, big and durable.
- Rounded corners as opposed to the old TPs with square edges. Looks sharp.
- really small and light weight.
- Nipple + touchpad, so I can use either.
- The Windows key is back!
- Metal hinges holding the screen to the base (love those).
- 1280 resolution on a 14" screen.

Cons
- The little light at the top of the screen sucks. It is dimmer than the one on my old TP.
- The battery sticks out of the back a bit (not really an issue).
- Windows has problems coming out of hibernation sometimes. I blame the machine, not the OS because this was not a problem on TPs of past with the same OS.

I have Windows XP Pro on it, with an Ubuntu Linux installation on a seperate partition. I cannot get the on board wireless to work with either Ubuntu or Fedora 5..this really pissed me off, and I tried it many different ways.

I think this would have retailed for $2000 or so, I got it slightly cheaper thorugh a friend. Overall, I am really happy with it and reccomend it for sure.

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

salad

TRIBE Member
TheRunningBoard said:
I think this would have retailed for $2000 or so, I got it slightly cheaper thorugh a friend. Overall, I am really happy with it and reccomend it for sure.
They were going for $1350 all over Pacific Mall about 2 months ago. My girlfriend was looking for one, but instead I got her an R51 (25% discount on that model from work).

octo

TRIBE Member
i'm thinking of getting a Fujitsu P 1510D. if anyone knows where i can get one cheap let me know. i know this has nothing to do with the lenovo but i figure someone who opens this thread might have a lead.

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
TheRunningBoard said:
Hopefully someone will find this helpful, I was having a hard time finding solid reviews of ThinkPads after Lenovo took them over.

I have actually had the machine for about 10 weeks now. I will mention that I am a total ThinkPad snob, I use my notebooks all the time, beat the shit out of them, leave them outside in the freezing cold and ThinkPads have never let me down. It is a nice dark matte black - I wanted the titanium top, but could not justify it the cost.

The model I picked up was a Z60 14" wide screen, Pentium M 1.3 Ghz, 60g, 512 RAM, Combo drive (DVD +- RW). It still says IBM on it and looks a lot like the ThinkPads IBM was making.
Here are the pros:
- Keyboard. The keyboard is really really nice for a notebook. Nice and responsive keys, big and durable.
- Rounded corners as opposed to the old TPs with square edges. Looks sharp.
- really small and light weight.
- Nipple + touchpad, so I can use either.
- The Windows key is back!
- Metal hinges holding the screen to the base (love those).
- 1280 resolution on a 14" screen.

Cons
- The little light at the top of the screen sucks. It is dimmer than the one on my old TP.
- The battery sticks out of the back a bit (not really an issue).
- Windows has problems coming out of hibernation sometimes. I blame the machine, not the OS because this was not a problem on TPs of past with the same OS.

I have Windows XP Pro on it, with an Ubuntu Linux installation on a seperate partition. I cannot get the on board wireless to work with either Ubuntu or Fedora 5..this really pissed me off, and I tried it many different ways.

Thanks for the review, I will keep it in mind when I am shopping for a new laptop, probably in the next six months or so.

For the linux wireless driver, if your thinkpad is using the "centrino" you might have to install the ipw2200 driver. It is not a part of the kernel because the driver is reverse engineered and not really legal in .us thanks to the DMCA. You can get the driver online, there should be a sourceforge page for the project.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
Hypnotoad said:
Thanks for the review, I will keep it in mind when I am shopping for a new laptop, probably in the next six months or so.

For the linux wireless driver, if your thinkpad is using the "centrino" you might have to install the ipw2200 driver. It is not a part of the kernel because the driver is reverse engineered and not really legal in .us thanks to the DMCA. You can get the driver online, there should be a sourceforge page for the project.

Thanks for the tip! This box actually has a card with some Atheros chip set. Apparently the MadWifi project (and drivers) works, but so far no luck :-( Quite frustrating.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

CiG

TRIBE Member
I like Thinkpads for most of the reasons you listed... Been using my R51 for about a year and a half now and I am addicted to the nipple... Thinkpads from now on for me...

oh toro

TRIBE Member
i had a z-series... it's alright, but lacks the innovation that was around when ibm ran the show... the t and x series were their best works. design-wise the z-series appears to be one of those designs where they had a footprint and they need to jam everything in. by sticking with the tradition of modular parts, compromises were made, particularly the battery. it's like that was the best they could do. with the stock battery in, it looks great (but lasts just slightly over an hour)... put in the "extended" battery and wtf??? it adds an inch to the footprint. it's like a poorly designed, slapped on addition to a house.

who signed off on that design? if you're going to do that, you may as well just increase the size of the entire unit, make it thinner, and put a larger screen on it. it's no wonder why there aren't any photos showing the extended battery attached. even more disappointing is the fact that the extended battery is somewhat of a misnomer as it lasts around 2.25-2.5 hours.

imo, stick with either the x or t series.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
I have been using Ubunto Dapper Drake for a while on this machine, and finally got the last problem out of the way - the onboard wireless. Working like a charm.

Notebook aside, anyone thinking about giving Ubuntu a whirl, it is worth it. It's like Debian on steroids. I used Red Hat / Fedora for the last 8 years, and didn't want to switch because I was so used to it. I am officially converted, and even going to put a production application on an Ubuntu server if all goes according to plan.

Last edited: