• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

So happy Eurocrap is over!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Apparently the reason there are so many superstisions and rituals in baseball is because players have so little to do during the game and there is the constant feeling they should be doing something with their time to effect the outcome of the game.

THEY BELIEVE IN MAGIC SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY'RE BORED!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

praktik

TRIBE Member
Superstition abounds in most sports - and has to do with the effect of success and super tight competition amongst successful athletes on psychology: Sport and Superstition - The Skeptical Community

Its like if there's an opportunity to that extra little edge - peeps will go for it.

Hence placebo bands on your wrist, superstitions in baseball, taping yourself with magic colored tape

Last edited:

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Superstition abounds in most sports - and has to do with the effect of success and super tight competition amongst successful athletes on psychology: Sport and Superstition - The Skeptical Community

Its like if there's an opportunity to that extra little edge - peeps will go for it.

Hence placebo bands on your wrist, superstitions in baseball, taping yourself with magic colored tape

Yes but baseball has the most superstition of any sport by far. Because they have the most time on their hands during games.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I think baseball attracts people who tend to the compulsive. (My boyfriend) Osuna does like 73 things every time he throws a pitch.

I am always surprised when people think it's boring though. I find it super dramatic and entertaining.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Gonna side with Athletes are Superstitious in General camp. Little routines and myth based belief systems abound across all sports.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Well, like I mentioned, I was a little-leaque pitcher in my tweens, but then, in my '20s, I went on to be a professional videographer/photographer for a time being, and, in the interest of making something boring interesting, I've analysed my thoughts and impressions, and they are these:

The *secret* to being a good baseball pitcher, and/or having a photographic eye are:

A)You know how to use peripheral vision. It makes you aware of not just yourself, and the *object*, but everything else around you in your field of view. This also involves *triangulation*, being able to mentally calculate and perceive distances and proximities from multiple angles. This still begs of the Nurture/Nature question. Is this Sense something than can be Learned, or is it innate?

B) You can perceive centripetal and centrifugal forces. This allows you to perceive and anticipate what’s coming next.

C) If possible, know your subject/object - what their natural inclinations are. This way you can anticipate/second guess something, and....act accordingly.

Just throwing this out there

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Well to be fair there is excited and then there is overexcited to the point where it's affecting other people in your community in a negative fashion.

Like that French fan who had to be consoled by that little boy. If you are getting to the point that you are crying because a team lost a sports game, you seriously need to get some therapy.

LMAO.

Yeah, I was in Mississauga where people were clearly drag racing. It was fucking scary.

I used to watch cricket matches and get angry when my country didn't win. My father said "it's just a game" and switched off the tv.
Pretty much when I woke up to how involved I was watching sporting events.

There are always these quiet cute Canadian boys, you do see them ensue RAGE when their hockey team loses.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Apparently the reason there are so many superstisions and rituals in baseball is because players have so little to do during the game and there is the constant feeling they should be doing something with their time to effect the outcome of the game.

THEY BELIEVE IN MAGIC SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY'RE BORED!

It is pretty ridiculous that the players chew tobacco in baseball. Fuck they might as well let em drink beer, and make things even more interesting.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
There was an article posted around the time of the World Series last year that referenced a study that showed that Baseball Athletes were the most superstitious by far of any sport especially during a game and it concluded that a lot of that was due to the idle time they have during a game and the constant feeling that they should always be somehow contributing to their team's success even when they weren't on the field.

ie Baseball is so boring even the players have to find shit to do to pass the time.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Congratu fucking lations guys, you got 2 pages in a complaint thread. took us a whole month to get 4 pages in the real Euro Thread.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
there was an article posted around the time of the world series last year that referenced a study that showed that baseball athletes were the most superstitious by far of any sport especially during a game and it concluded that a lot of that was due to the idle time they have during a game and the constant feeling that they should always be somehow contributing to their team's success even when they weren't on the field.

Ie baseball is so boring even the players have to find shit to do to pass the time.

lulz