• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Snow Removal in Toronto - Not as good as It used to Be?!?!

PAUZE

TRIBE Promoter
I may seem crazy here but, was snow removal in the 90's much more efficient than it is now? I leave for work at around 7am and the streets are pretty bad. I can recall in the 80's/90's a much better system where snow plows were out as soon as the snow started falling.

As well I noticed that most of the streets around my area (Davenport and Ossignton) are not even plowed clear on both sides. Since our last snowfall there is barely even enough room for a car to get by both ways.

I do have snow tires and thank god for that but I could swear streets were much cleaner a few years ago? Were there cutbacks/new rules that happened that I am not aware of?

acheron

TRIBE Member
They've been pretty on-point so far this season, actually. On my route to work I saw plenty of snowclearing going on, lots of sidewalks already done, plow teams doing major routes, etc.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I think back then we used to get a more steady stream of snow each week. now it just seems to dump a shit load all at once.

ian

TRIBE Member
I think back then we used to get a more steady stream of snow each week. now it just seems to dump a shit load all at once.
Sorry Dirts, you are not from Toronto anymore so you are not allowed to post here:p . However, the correct answer is indeed that it hardly snows in Toronto anymore.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I may seem crazy here but, was snow removal in the 90's much more efficient than it is now? I leave for work at around 7am and the streets are pretty bad. I can recall in the 80's/90's a much better system where snow plows were out as soon as the snow started falling.
In the 90's were you leaving your house at 7am? Maybe you just left the house a little later after the snow plows had a chacne to do more work.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Since the 1990s the federal government has downloaded a lot of responsibilities onto provincial governments who have dumped responsibilities onto municipal governments.

City halls everywhere are having to do more with less these days (or for Toronto it sometimes seems to be less with less).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PAUZE

TRIBE Promoter
Nah, I am going to post pictures next week to show you the snow still hasnt been removed. I will show you the contrast between my street and surrounding streets. It's pretty pathetic actually.

I leave for work now at 7 yes, but when I was younger the streets were still plowed clear.

Again, I will try to post examples next week.

sk8

TRIBE Member
I haven't lived in Toronto for years now, but I grew up there and I don't remember it being that great. We lived (and my parents still do) on a small side street with street parking and it was often impossible to get our car out without massive shovelling and rocking back and forth. Then if the plows did come it was extra impossible because they plowed the cars in. That army-calling snowstorm (when was that? 98-99?) their street wasn't plowed for like 3 days after...

Barrie does things a bit differently I find - main roads plowed first, then the side ones - so it's often later in the day for those (mine is usually afternoon). But this makes sense to me and should be the way it is. The big bonus is - ALL sidewalks are done by plows. We aren't responsible for the sidewalks at all.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Toronto was court ordered to clear laneways as well last year - according to the 311 site they do this by salting within 48 hours of the end of a snowfall - they can't plow because of the risk of blocking people's garages.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Its been good in my hood.

I live next to a school so the streets and sidewalks are priority.

Within 12hours of the snow fall our streets and sidewalks were plowed and salted.

BOOYA!

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
I just tried to google my old house with our big horseshoe driveway that I had to shovel. I loved shoveling that driveway. Twice a day. What's wrong with me?

PAUZE

TRIBE Promoter
Toronto was court ordered to clear laneways as well last year - according to the 311 site they do this by salting within 48 hours of the end of a snowfall - they can't plow because of the risk of blocking people's garages.

This was a huge problem in my old house on Shaw. Our parking was out back onto one of the laneways. The snow would get filled knee deep and they would expect us to clear it. We had at least 4-6 people stuck everyday!

deevah

TRIBE Member
my laneway hasn't been cleared or salted - it's bloody quicksand in there. I have to lean on the side that the snow removal hasn't been so good this year in the Roncey/Junction area