1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

[[...snow addiktz 2010/2011...]]

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by that 420 guy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. that 420 guy

that 420 guy TRIBE Member

don't know 'bout you catz out east, but its sure is feelin' a lot like winter 'round these parts *brrrr* here's hoping for a long season filled with big dumps and fresh lines for everyone, regardless of where you call home.

here are the transworld snowboarding good wood winners for 2011

gone are the days of homogeneous cambered boards/skis with radial sidecuts. its amazing to see snow technology evolving at such a rapid rate. it doesn't mean that these new developments are better, but it sure does give you a lot more options for buying gear that specifically suits your style of riding.

if you haven't got your season pass yet, here are the closing dates to get the early bird prices.

blue mountain - nov1
    sunshine village - sept30
    lake louise - sept30
    kicking horse - oct11
    revvy - oct1
    whistler/blackcomb - oct11

fuck it trailer - forum

right brain left brain trailer - think thank

deeper trailer - tgr

hello world trailer - alterna action

the storming trailer - standard films

now you know trailer - sandboxland

new burton whammy bar bob marley collab
    <--- i must have this board...or this one--->

new burton road soda

for those of you heading out this way, kicking horse will be opening its 4th alpine bowl this season - super bowl - adding 15 new expert chutes. this is the bowl just behind terminator ridge. so sick!

my shred goals this year include finally riding castle mountain and powder king, a day of cat in valemont, delerium dive at sunshine, and riding 5 mile basin at whitewater without the 9hr hike out :eek: maybe one day i'll be able to afford a day of heli *sigh*

what trips do you have planned for the season?

let it snow. let it snow. let it snow.

2. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i'm pretty certain i'll make my way out to calgary this winter for a visit with friends/family and the mountains, so sunshine and lake louise are definitely on the itinerary

the usual crew (we used to be 4, but are now 6!) from onterrible are debating on our annual ski trip this year ...
    • 2 want to go back to revelstoke and maybe check out kelowna as well (skipping banff entirely) .. i feel like this is the most boring option of all
    • 1 wants to go to colorado .. this seems ok but not very exciting
    • 1 is undecided
    • one wants to go to jackson's hole before she dies (haha)
    • i want to do Big Sky, Jackson's Hole, and maaybe UTAH! (dry state whoo!)

anyone have any suggestions on where a group of 4-6 guys (plus girl) would want to ride/ski? everyone enjoyed whistler and banff tons, but revelstoke has been the group's favourite resort thus far (no lineups, fast groomers, endless glades, very long runs).
  3. that 420 guy

zoo, how many days are you planning for your trip? if you're flying into calgary and want to ride something other than banff/louise, maybe a trip south might work for your krew. you can hit castle mountain, fernie, and you can even go south of the border to hit big mountain in whitefish.

plus, castle mountain has an insane cat riding deal - a day of cat for $215 (+$35 beacon/shovel/probe rental if you don't already have gear). there is no lunch and only a single guide brings up the rear, but because you take the chair to the top and then get into the cat, you can clock 10-12 runs in a day (a normal day of cat is 4-7 runs because of the time you spend riding the cat back to the top). it only runs thurs-sat and is dependent on the snow, but if you've never gone cat riding before i highly recommend it. its a must for every snow addikt.

p.s. make sure you find me when you get out here. would love to ride with you again \m/^_^\m/
  4. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

If we're flying into Calgary, I'll definitely make sure we coordinate, hopefully this time I can keep up with you! I practiced quite a bit the tail end of the year at Marmot/LL/Sunshine/KH/Revy, and now can't wait to get back into it this December at BLUE! haha.

Castle CAT sounds AWESOME! Thanks for that tip, this may be the reason to fly into Calgary instead of Kelowna!!
  5. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

YES! i Cant wait for snow. I'm so itching for some sweet turns.

i posted this in last years thread, but figure its better in here:

So with the season quickly approaching, its time to think about a new board.
    I'm thinking that something with magna traction might be the way to go. I'm looking for a fast all mountain/freeride board. Doesnt have to be a great jumper, but needs to excel on technical terrain, and at high speeds. My riding style is all about pinning it, everywhere on the mountain. I'm just shy of 6' and weight about 155. Currently I'm on a K2 Darkstar 157.
    Anyone have suggestions?
  6. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

Snow already on Whistler & Blackcomb!

Xopus: I've been riding Lib Tech's TRS with MTX for the last 3 years and couldn't be happier.
  7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

Furk Yayeah!
  8. that 420 guy

nice! i've taken a lot of boards out for a test drive in the last five years, and the libtech trs is the best all 'round do anything snowboard i have ever ridden. there's a reason why the trs continues to win good wood awards...its the fukkin' best! i've tried both the btx and the c2-btx versions of the trs, but i wasn't really able to see what the c2-btx could do because i was recovering from an injury. my riding for most of last season was limited to hauling ass regular and switch, no jumps or park play :( i can't wait to really try it out this season and see if the hybrid combination of camber and rocker actually lives up to the marketing hype.

this year's trs is a c2-btx.

the only negative feedback i've heard from others when it comes to boards/skis with btx is that the magnetraction works too well. some people like to slide out their turns and magnetraction makes it harder to do that. this is the first time i've heard of a product that does its job too well. i ride my trs btx more than any other board in my quiver and have sold more of this board to friends than any other.

9. jeffpayne

jeffpayne TRIBE Member

thinking of visiting friends in Kelowna and doing some riding at Big White before heading either up to Revy/KH or finally heading down to Whitewater.
    Although, my uncle just bought a nice place an hour from Denver, CO so maybe a trip to Vail is in order.

This winter is going to be tough for me. It's my first winter in Toronto in 5 years after living in Alberta and BC. Bah!
  10. AlyG

AlyG TRIBE Member

11. that 420 guy

12. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

My goals include actually going this year, perhaps more than once :p
  13. that 420 guy

have you got the kidlets out on the slopes yet?
  14. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

not yet. the plan is to get elissa out this year.
  15. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Getting comped a pass to Revelstoke Mountain Resort this year is pretty much a lock through work (tried last year but got on it too late). Definitely have some catching up to do after a crummy snow year and one SINGLE day out on the hill last winter.
  16. Re: Shoe

Re: Shoe TRIBE Member

How old? Mine were 3.5 and 5.5 when we started last season on snowboards. What a blast!
  17. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

They're predicting a La NiƱa weather cycle this winter.. finger's crossed!
  18. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

Elissa just turned 5 - we're going to put her on skis this year I think

Maya is 2.5, undecided on what we'll do with her, she's an active tough kid so she might be okay.
  19. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

my goal is to fit in my snoboarding gear :|

ok serious goal is to get strong and make it out more nthen once! (got sick last year and didn't make it out) My BF is learning, so we need to go lots so he can practice!
  20. that 420 guy

the source at camp of champs 2010

Next Level - Brothers Factory

In Color - Transworld

Bon Voyage - Videograss

NowHere - Absinthe Films *holy shit!*

only 39 more daze...

21. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

that absinthe film looks retardedly retarded.
    i cant wait to see it.
  22. that 420 guy

2010/2011 snowboard movie premieres in the t.dot

fuck it - forum
    October 14: Toronto, ON (CAN) at the Underground Cinema with Nic Sauve, Pat Moore, John Jackson, Andreas Wiig, and Niko Cioffi.

deeper - jeremy jones (tgr)
    Dec 2nd Toronto Steamwhistle Brewery
  23. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

Seeing this tomorrow in Vancouver. It looks ridiculous.
  24. that 420 guy

the best turns are earned
  25. Cri

Cri TRIBE Member

has anyone ever been to steamboat springs in colorado? or heard anything about it? Just curious what it is like..if there are a lot of trees or if it just mostly groomed runs..

thx :)