• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

[[...snow addiktz 08/09...]]

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
This one I snapped through the window of their office... Interesting ;)

*ha* everyone is on the reverse camber train, so it makes sense to examine and copy the guys who did it first.

the view from my office right meow

fuck yayer! you're in for a good weekend, chrome binder.

~*...shreadlock...*~

AlyG

TRIBE Member
nice. you hiked blaster's ridge. the little bit of extra powder payoff you get at the top of catch basin is so worth the hike.

which resort had better snow on your trip? revvy or whitewater?

LOL, yah....that wasn't my pic :eek: At day 4 of big mountain boarding I was sticking to the groomers and the beer tap at the bottom of the hill! Apparently it was sick in the morning, but by afternoon the weather was so warm they had closed the area.

I would say Revvy was best as it was snowing hard and fresh while we were there.
First day of Whitewater was awesome and the best of both worlds though: warm weather and fresh, fluffy powder. Second day was sick-warm, with soft, wet spring conditions. Hence, my inclination to stick to the patio :D

I wasn't the only one though

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
closing weekend at the lake, they set up the landing pad

send the gnarliest shit you can think of without fear of hurting yourself. wikkid.

too bad the lineup was fukkin huge. we were still able to find some gnarly gnatural features to throw ourselves off of...and the warm weather and blue bird skies made the day even better.

sunday wasn't as sunny or warm. the peak was stuck in a cloud and it was snowing which made for zero visibility. figures it would snow on the last day of the season.

despite the lack of huge dumps, it was still a super fun season at lake louise. now its time to ride sunshine, for the first time this season.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Ugh. So the guy who's wife died after the two of them went out of bounds in Golden is suing the RCMP, Kicking Horse resort and a local search-and-rescue unit for "negligence" aka not saving them from their own stupidity.

I can appreciate that there was some miscommunication after an SOS sign had been spotted and a search was not initiated when no one was deemed to be "missing", but you can't lay all of this at someone else's feet. It was still their decision to ski out of bounds and to leave the areas where they had left the SOS signs in the snow.

What I still don't understand is how they were lost for almost 10 days. Couldn't they have just followed their tracks back? They went out of bounds from the ski resort so you'd think the way back would be obvious.

Also, one of the stories talks about them fighting off wolves, and since when do wolves attack people? That part sounds a little BS if you ask me.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I was following this on TGR at the time and if I remember correctly the general feeling was based on where they accessed the backcountry it was most likely by choice. If this is true then I'd hope the court can use this against him.

However there was some speculation that they could have 'accidentally' gotten to the back side. If this is true his case has a bit of merit. I've been to KH once and don't know how likely that scenario is though.

What about the RCMP's role? They were concerned enough to check if any rental gear was missing but that was basically the extent of their involment?

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Had a good day of spring riding on Blackcomb today. Fast snow, warm sun, lots (and lots) of beers. Nothing beats it.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Had a good day of spring riding on Blackcomb today. Fast snow, warm sun, lots (and lots) of beers. Nothing beats it.
Me too. Once the snow heated up it was awesome. Final run we traversed across the Blackcomb glacier and then ran it out. The glacier was amazing, best run of the day, but my legs are killing me from that long cat-track out.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
Ugh. So the guy who's wife died after the two of them went out of bounds in Golden is suing the RCMP, Kicking Horse resort and a local search-and-rescue unit for "negligence" aka not saving them from their own stupidity.

I can appreciate that there was some miscommunication after an SOS sign had been spotted and a search was not initiated when no one was deemed to be "missing", but you can't lay all of this at someone else's feet. It was still their decision to ski out of bounds and to leave the areas where they had left the SOS signs in the snow.

What I still don't understand is how they were lost for almost 10 days. Couldn't they have just followed their tracks back? They went out of bounds from the ski resort so you'd think the way back would be obvious.
there's no denying that their decision to venture into the backcountry unprepared was not the smartest of plans, but they did try to send a message for rescue which was not addressed until it was too late. i agree that you can't lay it all at someone else's feet, but how many times does an s.o.s. have to be spotted in the backcountry before search and rescue is dispatched? it was that delay which cost someone their life.

imho, both parties were responsible for what happened. gilles blackburn already paid for his mistake with the loss of his wife. its now up to the courts decide what the cost is for the rcmp/search and rescue.

while we were hiking out of the backcountry at whitewater, search and rescue was already contacted before our friends reported us missing. resort workers noticed that our truck was still in the parking lot after the resort had closed and immediately began investigating. i can't imagine 10 days out there with repeated attempts to send out an s.o.s. and receiving no response.

=========================================================
pix from the season taken by friends...

kicking horse in april

whitewater

lake louise

sunshine slush cup

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
there's no denying that their decision to venture into the backcountry unprepared was not the smartest of plans, but they did try to send a message for rescue which was not addressed until it was too late. i agree that you can't lay it all at someone else's feet, but how many times does an s.o.s. have to be spotted in the backcountry before search and rescue is dispatched? it was that delay which cost someone their life.

imho, both parties were responsible for what happened. gilles blackburn already paid for his mistake with the loss of his wife. its now up to the courts decide what the cost is for the rcmp/search and rescue.

while we were hiking out of the backcountry at whitewater, search and rescue was already contacted before our friends reported us missing. resort workers noticed that our truck was still in the parking lot after the resort had closed and immediately began investigating. i can't imagine 10 days out there with repeated attempts to send out an s.o.s. and receiving no response.
if you're smart enough to get yourself into trouble, then you're smart enough to know that no one HAS to save you. stamping an SOS into the snow is pretty much the most passive, pussy way to help yourself. the guy and his wife got what they deserve (i am not saying it isn't sad). and norm, i love you, but if it had been you i'd feel the same. we need to recognize that there are consequences to our actions and that the world isn't sanitized and made safe for us. the respect we have for the mountains stems from the fact that they are wild places and that they can, and will, kill you.

oh jess........so hot!

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
if you're smart enough to get yourself into trouble, then you're smart enough to know that no one HAS to save you. stamping an SOS into the snow is pretty much the most passive, pussy way to help yourself. the guy and his wife got what they deserve (i am not saying it isn't sad). and norm, i love you, but if it had been you i'd feel the same. we need to recognize that there are consequences to our actions and that the world isn't sanitized and made safe for us. the respect we have for the mountains stems from the fact that they are wild places and that they can, and will, kill you.
i agree with you, man. radical self reliance. no one else is responsible for you but you. you assume all of the risks going out there and have no one to blame but yourself if the mountain gets the better of you. the mountains are always in control and demand respect. but sometimes, as you have no doubt experienced, people need help regardless of how much or little planning they do.

do you think that waiting 10 days before responding to a rescue request is acceptable? isn't it their job to rescue those who need help when asked to? if not, why does search and rescue even exist?

this situation started with a bad choice and was compounded by another bad choice.

oh jess........so hot!

seriously. hawt girl who rips harder than most guys *drool*

Last edited:

catilyst

TRIBE Member
do you think that waiting 10 days before responding to a rescue request is acceptable? isn't it their job to rescue those who need help when asked to? if not, why does search and rescue even exist?
My understanding is that SAR can not legally initiate a search - they need to be formally dispatched by the RCMP.

My memory is not the greatest but I beleive I heard at the time SAR was basically asking theRCMP for the go ahead but never got it.

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Last day of Whistler riding today (Sunday). Should be an awesome day, we've got a BBQ and we'll have 1 beer each and enjoi the sunshine.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
For anyone still following this...

Thanks to that guy blaming everyone else for his wife's death, Golden Search & Rescue has now suspended operations. I just hope that no one ends up dying in the backcountry because of this...

Golden & District Search and Rescue suspended operations Thursday, citing legal issues and confusion surrounding jurisdiction.

Directors for the S&R society issued a statement Thursday making the announcement public.

"The complicated relationship between the authority with jurisdiction, the Provincial Emergency Program, the Search and Rescue Society and the SAR volunteer has recently been highlighted." the statement, signed by society president Joel Jackson, read.

"Recent events have left the directors of Golden and District Search and Rescue unclear as to the legal support provided by the authority with jurisdiction and the Provincial Emergency Program.
The rest of the article is here.

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
Norm or anyone else:

What do you know about Kimberley? Is it a big powder spot? What's the terrain like? Is the village fun?

If I was going to drive four hours for a long weekend trip to a resort this winter, is Kimberley worth the drive? how does it stack up to Whistler, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Fernie...

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
todiefor, kimberley is a fun little resort - no crowds, decent terrain and surprisingly good snow (when it falls). the village is your standard rcr fare with the convenience of ride in ride out accommodations. it is small, so don't expect anything epic from the mountain or the village.

if you are willing to drive four hours to chase powder, i'd suggest kicking horse over kimberley. the terrain is way more challenging and the snow is epic (when they get it). golden also parties harder than kimberley, so you'll have no problems finding a good time there.

if you're willing to drive an extra hour, revelstoke will most definitely satisfy your appetite for challenging terrain and sweet powder goodness...and you can enjoy a day of cat there for only $400.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
^^^ so sick! end of may turns in sunshine are the greatest.

burton 2010 launches august 3. i am tits deep in gettin' next year's product up and ready to sell online. even though i'm enjoying the summer weather, looking at new gear is getting me excited for the season. i'd start praying for snow, but living here i might actually get it before i actually want it :p

Funzo

TRIBE Member
30 hectares of Blackcomb burned on Thursday. CBC trees, Fragle Rock, Outer Limits and some other tree runs I can't remember should be interesting this season. I've never ridden in a burned out area yet, but according to my roommate it's awesome.

The whole valley is filled with smoke from the fires 30 mins. North of us now