• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

[[...snow addiktz 08/09...]]

Funzo

TRIBE Member
26 cms last night, spent a lot of the day hiking but it was worth it. We hiked up to some chutes from the hortsman T-bar and ski patrol followed us and wasn't going to let us drop. We had a good long talk and they let us go. Super steep, fairly narrow but only about 100 meters long. The snow was all pocketed so I dropped the first chute, my brother dropped the second and we just straight lined out of there into a massive bowl. After that we hiked into Grey Zone, but it was pretty tracked out. Still enjoyable though.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
26 cms last night, spent a lot of the day hiking but it was worth it. We hiked up to some chutes from the hortsman T-bar and ski patrol followed us and wasn't going to let us drop. We had a good long talk and they let us go. Super steep, fairly narrow but only about 100 meters long. The snow was all pocketed so I dropped the first chute, my brother dropped the second and we just straight lined out of there into a massive bowl. After that we hiked into Grey Zone, but it was pretty tracked out. Still enjoyable though.
How were the crowds for March break? I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend to use up the last few credits on my EDGE card.

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Sunday was busy for uploading, but by noon all the crowds had spread out more so it wasn't bad at all. Today was an average of 3 minute lift lines. There aren't all that many people visiting. More than early season for sure, but nothing like last year.

It's puking out again right now.

Funzo

TRIBE Member
5-10 cms tonight, 15-20 tomorrow, 20-25 Thursday, says the forecast.
Had an amazing day of cliff drops today (nothing huge, 10-15 feet), back to steeps and chutes tomorrow.

zoo

TRIBE Member
It was totally a last minute decision ... some of my friends will be there for a week, so I'm going to join them for a 4-day weekend. Jenn's staying home, she doesn't want to (downhill) ski. :(

I have to admit; with all the awesome places, people, and things to do in Jasper (x-country, downhill, and climbing), that Whistler isnt near as exciting as it was last year. I'm already thinking of when we can possibly come out to Jasper again!!

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
I have to admit; with all the awesome places, people, and things to do in Jasper (x-country, downhill, and climbing), that Whistler isnt near as exciting as it was last year. I'm already thinking of when we can possibly come out to Jasper again!!
the fukkin awesome peepz who live in jasper sort of make it significantly more radtastik of a place to visit.

ripped some sick pow at kicking horse on the weekend. so glad it finally snowed. some of the best snow i've ridden all season. god i love that resort. got to give next years devun walsh 158 a rip. dc chose the right asian kids to glue their laminates together cause their sticks pop! super fun.

enjoyed a demo day on monday at norquay with next year's burton, forum, ride, capita, and union on the menu. got to rip a burton custom v-rocker with burton cartels, burton method with burton exile est bindings, ride machete with ride contrabands, capita stairmaster with union cadet bindings, and finally the burton easy living with burton triad est bindings. full review to come, but here are some pix in the meantime.

burton supermodel, custom x, custom, deuce, x8, fix

ride dh2, machete with reverse camber

capita stairmaster

the burton method with burton exile bindings. i wouldn't say its worth the $1700 price tag, but it is the lightest and perhaps one of the most fun snowboards i've ever had the pleasure to ride. i thought for sure i'd break it in half. i was pleasantly proven wrong.

~*...snowmurai...*~

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Revelstoke - March 09

Some really steep glades:

North Bowl:

Bottom of North Bowl:

The Cabin: Bowling alley, board shop, bar, and art gallery!

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Whistler - Mar 09

Top of North Flute bowl:

Catalyst... I think this was Doom and Gloom... loved that spot too:

Flute Bowl:

This one is actually from Cypress Bowl, 17 cm of fresh:

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Thanks. The set-up is really nice. Very responsive and comfortable. The Sabbaths were great for hiking too... I call them my Crown Royal pimp boots. Probably gonna upgrade to a banana next season, I'll be in touch!

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
Thanks. The set-up is really nice. Very responsive and comfortable. The Sabbaths were great for hiking too... I call them my Crown Royal pimp boots. Probably gonna upgrade to a banana next season, I'll be in touch!
crown royal pimp boots *ha* perfekt name for them.

we got the rest of our lib order a month ago (fukkin stoners), so we're sittin' on a good number of 52 and 59 skate bananas. next year's lib will not be put on sale (demand>supply), so your best bet for a deal is this year's skate banana bought this summer if we don't blast through these before the end of the season. might go down 20points, possibly 30. i'll keep you posted.

lib is makin' the move to overtake burton's undisputed no.1 spot next year. can't wait to see how it plays out.

i'm giving next year's skate banana 56 a rip this weekend. i'll let you know how it compares to the trs.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
crown royal pimp boots *ha* perfekt name for them.

we got the rest of our lib order a month ago (fukkin stoners), so we're sittin' on a good number of 52 and 59 skate bananas. next year's lib will not be put on sale (demand>supply), so your best bet for a deal is this year's skate banana bought this summer if we don't blast through these before the end of the season. might go down 20points, possibly 30. i'll keep you posted.

lib is makin' the move to overtake burton's undisputed no.1 spot next year. can't wait to see how it plays out.

i'm giving next year's skate banana 56 a rip this weekend. i'll let you know how it compares to the trs.
You ever get to rip a Cygnus X1?
The technology in that board is fucking next level. I'd love to know how that thing moves

akiras

TRIBE Member
Come visit anytime! Had a great time with you guys and there is always fun stuff to get up to in Jasper, whatever the season :)

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Not a good day today at all. It was wet, windy, very poor vis in the alpine, and only 9cms of fresh. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Awesome shots Joe. That looks like Doom and Gloom, I think if you were looking up towards the peak you would have been sort of on the left side when you took that?

Norm - Libtech versus Burton? Wow, i wish Libtech all the luck. I'm not a boarder so wtf do I know but I don't have a lot of respect for Burton. They need more competition.

I was at Blue last night, and with them advertising that all their runs were open I left dissapointed. Mud and slush spots all over the place. If I remember correctly either Waterfall or the trail to the side of it had a massive area of mud.

Tree lines were only available in that top area. Not many people out made for zero lines at least. If it doesn't get significantly colder I don't think they can operate much longer.

Nice to be there after not going for about a month since I've been elsewhere though.

And 5x7 users, we have just over one week left of night skiing.

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
You ever get to rip a Cygnus X1?
The technology in that board is fucking next level. I'd love to know how that thing moves
yeah, that board is fukkin' experitech. its like a spaceship made into a snowboard. unfortunately, reps don't give out their most expensive board as demos. i'm guessing that their promo/demo budget is better spent buying 2 or 3 of their bangers than 1 of their luxury sticks.

Norm - Libtech versus Burton? Wow, i wish Libtech all the luck. I'm not a boarder so wtf do I know but I don't have a lot of respect for Burton. They need more competition.
its not like any other company can even come close to burton sales or offer nearly as much product, but cutting away at burton's market share is big blow to their bottom line. the demand for lib significantly increased when they introduced magnetraction and has now blown up thanks to banana traction. notice how pretty much every other snowboard mfg now offers a board with zero or reverse camber?

i'm on the btx wagon and fully back it. it makes the snowboard way more fun to ride and it holds an edge better than any other sidecut out there. ask anyone who owns or has ridden a btx stick and they will tell you its the shit.

i rode next years skate banana last night at c.o.p. it is softer than the trs, so it butters like a dream and annihilates trannies in the park. so much fukkin fun to ride. i'm going to see how she handles on a big mountain this weekend.

the technormous broknowlogy of btx is already available on lib, gnu, and roxy (all mervin). its also been licensed out to rossignol on the jdub magnetraction. perhaps a burton ics board with btx isn't too far off in the future? *ha* can't blame a brother for dreaming ;)

conversely, we sure do warranty a lot of lib boards. people who ride lib sticks bash the shit out of them. from topsheets delamming to blown out edges, these boards get put through a lot. perhaps the mfg needs to catch up to the tech. made by stoners near canada in the usa.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Looks like nights are closed now at Blue - I believe that's a week early.

Glad I checked their site, I was going to head up after work.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
Holy Shit, Saturday at Whistler was epic. Two feet of powder in the trees, spent the whole day in the trees below 7th Heaven, popping off huge rocks and landing in piles of powder. The rest of the mountain was a bit tracked out.