• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Snakes on a plane, no really...

Balzz

TRIBE Member
June 02, 2006

Pilot gets unwanted guest on flight
By John McCoy

Staff writer When Monty Coles lifted his Piper Cherokee into the air for a leisurely Saturday flight over the West Virginia countryside, he didn’t know a blacksnake had stowed away inside the airplane’s instrument panel.

“As far as I was concerned, everything was fine,” said Coles, a 62-year-old private pilot from Cross Lanes. “I did a very cautious pre-flight check on the plane because it has a fairly new engine. I didn’t find a single thing out of order.”

As Coles prepared to land for gas in Gallipolis, Ohio, the 4 1/2-foot snake revealed itself. “I was about 10 miles out of Gallipolis, 3,000 feet off the ground, and I’d just finished scanning the instruments,” he said. “I looked up and saw the snake’s head sticking out of a hole in the instrument panel.”

At that moment, Coles said his thoughts flashed back to his flight training 25 years ago. “Nothing in any of the manuals ever described anything like this,” he deadpanned. But [instructor] Benny Mallory gave me the best advice I ever got — ‘No matter what happens, fly the plane.’ ”

As the snake poked its head farther outside the panel, Coles tried to whack it with a handheld radio. “Batteries went flying everywhere, and the snake dropped down out of the instrument panel and landed at my feet under the rudder pedals,” Coles said. “I tried to open my door and kick it out, but it shot across the cabin floor and climbed up the door on the other side.”

While maintaining control of the plane with one hand, Coles used his other hand to grab the snake just behind its head. “There was no way I was letting that thing go. It coiled all around my arm, and its tail grabbed hold of a lever on the floor and started pulling,” Coles said. “I think it was as scared as I was. After all, it had never flown before.”
With one hand on the steering yoke and the other wrestling the snake, the by-then-desperate pilot radioed ahead for help.

“I asked for priority clearance to land,” he said. “They came back and asked what my problem was. I told them I had one hand full of snake and the other hand full of plane. They cleared me in.”
Coles landed the plane one-handed.

“Some of my friends were there and saw the landing,” he said. “They told me I should fly with snakes more often, because that was the smoothest landing they’d ever seen me make.”

After posing for a few photos with the reptilian intruder, Coles released it into some nearby weeds.

“That snake resides in Ohio now,” he said. “I wasn’t about to bring it home. I don’t mind snakes, but I sure like to know where they are.”
Coles said that, in retrospect, he’s fortunate to have made the May 27 flight alone. “I usually fly with my wife or with my little wiener dog, Killer,” he said. “If my wife had been in the plane, I wouldn’t have a wife, a plane or myself. I don’t know what might have happened if Killer had been in the plane, but it sure would have been a lot more exciting.”

quantumize

TRIBE Member
i'm sorry but i just keep imagining that game at chucke cheese where you have to whack the snakes as they pop up

annec

TRIBE Member
Great, now he's introduced a potentially non-native snake species into the wilds of Ohio. Snake not on a plane!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think that as August 18th approaches, we will see many more signs of the impending Snake Uprising.

Here's hoping that they tap Kane for the sequel.

See No Evil Snakes On A Plane!

Caz

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
I can't figure this picture out. On one hand it seems to be some sort of class draw-along type assignment, but why the subject matter? Especially in the states (Iowa) they wouldnt be drawing a plane with a reptile wrapped around it. Also, whats with the Da Vinci sketch to the top left of it? are they exploring art from the masters right up to mid 80's fantasy airbrushing? ow my head hurts

annec

TRIBE Member
Looks like their art teacher is an Internet message board junkie...and decided to incorporate the kids enthusiasm with their own.

Boo

TRIBE Member
annec said:
Great, now he's introduced a potentially non-native snake species into the wilds of Ohio. Snake not on a plane!
Like how the white man was introduced to North America and destroyed everything in its path.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
i just noticed that the girl next to him didn't understand the assignment and is obviously retarded.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Here's hoping that they tap Kane for the sequel.

See No Evil Snakes On A Plane!
They changed the final scene in SNE: now when the dog comes out and pees in the eye socket, a snake comes out afterwards.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
I think that as August 18th approaches, we will see many more signs of the impending Snake Uprising.
Flashy you were right!

Snake Bites Woman Walking Through Wal-Mart Garden Center
http://www.wftv.com/news/9305190/detail.html

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- All she wanted was a flower, but instead a woman said she got a snake bite.

Delaine Jarrell was looking through the plants in the garden center at a Jacksonville Wal-Mart on Wednesday, when a snake sunk its fangs into her arm and didn't let go without a fight.

"He finally broke loose and, thank goodness for sweat pants with elastic on them, because he tried to climb up my britches' leg,"
Jarrell said.

Jarrell went to the emergency room two days later when she noticed red streaks running down her arm.

Fortunately, the snake wasn't poisonous.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
let's see what idiocy the internet community will eat up today!
The funny thing is the movie actually didn't intend to gain its innerweb cult status. It was going to be a lame hollywood flick and SOAP was the working title to be later changed to something boring. When all the net buzz began, they actually reshot parts of the film to pander to the net following, actually getting SLJ to redo lines adding in "motherfucker", and add more ludicrous-level gore. So in this rare case, it's more hollywood eating it up rather than the other way around.

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
the teaser trailer is completely tongue in cheek, don't think it would even be that way had it not been for all the buzz.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
OTIS said:
The funny thing is the movie actually didn't intend to gain its innerweb cult status. It was going to be a lame hollywood flick and SOAP was the working title to be later changed to something boring. When all the net buzz began, they actually reshot parts of the film to pander to the net following, actually getting SLJ to redo lines adding in "motherfucker", and add more ludicrous-level gore. So in this rare case, it's more hollywood eating it up rather than the other way around.
It's sort of the same as having the "Juggernaut bitch" line in X-Men. Seeing the Snakes trailer before the movie was a really weird experience because it kind of felt like surfing Tribe at the Paramount.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories