• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Smokin'

soulbrother 10

TRIBE Member
Hey smokers - School me. I've never smoked, so I don't get it.

In the face of clear evidence of damage to your health, the rising price of a pack of cigs and bans on puffing at work, in bars, clubs, restaurants etc. - what makes the old coffin nails worth it all - what's the rush, the kick, the attraction, the satisfaction, the payoff - of lighting one up sucking back that tobaccy smoke again and again?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
1. Having something in your hand to gesticulate with.

2. When you're out with someone who doesn't smoke, like a vegan or something and you blow smoke in their face and they give you this look like they are Lisa Turtle and you're Screech Powers and have just said something offensive about your bug collecton.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
i do it because my friends do it.

as an aside, i would also jump off a bridge if my friends were going to.

Caz

TRIBE Member
when i get cancer from well, everything else, I want to at least have had some fun first!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
soulbrother 10 said:
Hey smokers - School me. I've never smoked, so I don't get it.

In the face of clear evidence of damage to your health, the rising price of a pack of cigs and bans on puffing at work, in bars, clubs, restaurants etc. - what makes the old coffin nails worth it all - what's the rush, the kick, the attraction, the satisfaction, the payoff - of lighting one up sucking back that tobaccy smoke again and again?

possibly the worst messageboard to ask a question like this on.....

Soulster

TRIBE Member
serious answer: it's not that simple. most try it out of curiosity or because they think it's cool when they're young an impressionable or because they are doing something bad and it gives them a thrill...

then all of a sudden they're hooked and they find out how freakin difficult quitting is. i quit for four years and started back up again. i'm still trying to figure out why.

imo, the majority of the reason people start smoking, continue to smoke, and even have trouble staying quit is because of a lot of societal brainwashing to make you believe that a) smoking is cool/desirable and b) smoking is a lot harder to quit than you think c) smoking provides a source of comfort/stress relief or a crutch of some kind

i always say that if there is one thing i could go back in time and change in my life, it's trying my first cigarette. god help me if i have kids and they smoke.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:
serious answer: it's not that simple. most try it out of curiosity or because they think it's cool when they're young an impressionable or because they are doing something bad and it gives them a thrill...

then all of a sudden they're hooked and they find out how freakin difficult quitting is. i quit for four years and started back up again. i'm still trying to figure out why.

imo, the majority of the reason people start smoking, continue to smoke, and even have trouble staying quit is because of a lot of societal brainwashing to make you believe that a) smoking is cool/desirable and b) smoking is a lot harder to quit than you think c) smoking provides a source of comfort/stress relief or a crutch of some kind

i always say that if there is one thing i could go back in time and change in my life, it's trying my first cigarette. god help me if i have kids and they smoke.

replace "smoking" with any controlled substance and you've got an answer that works for everything.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
i am currently reading The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
in an environment where people are divided between smokers and non-smokers, the smokers are invariably the more interesting group to hang out with...

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
i am currently reading The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr, I'll let you know how it turns out.

good luck. it does work for a lot of people. it totally worked for my dad and he struggled with quitting smoking for decades. then again, it didn't work for me.

there's a point halfway through the book where he says "okay, you've just had your last cigarette as of now." and i refused to believe him and kept reading for another two chapters before i just put the book down and never picked it up again.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
yep.
all the 'bad' kids could be found in the smoke hole.
all the 'cool' staff could be found out smoking.

it is a social divide, and i am sorry soulbrother, you just don't make the cut.

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
Because I choose to, just like others choose not to.

I don't understand the intrigue of non-smokers to those who smoke. Do we constantly question why you don't smoke? No, because we don't give a shit.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Because you get high... and it's legal.

Ask most any smoker how that first stick of the day is. Their eyes will light up... and they'll tell you they wish every one could be like that.

I've been there. It was great. Today I smoke on special occasions, or if I've had one too many beers. I'd say it works out to about 5 smokes every month for me.

Was "quitting" hard. Sure. Because I understand the high and I like it.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
i smoked.. all my friends and I tried it in grade 9, mostly out of curiosity.. most of them dabbled with it.. but i'm the one who got "hooked" I don't know why i did.. addictive personaily? family history of substance abuse? genes.. could be a number of things... but after smoking for over 10 years I've now quit.. and my health feels so much better.. peole smoking around me the second hand smoke really bother me now... but I still cheat and have the occasional cig when stressed or drunk

CiG

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Today I smoke on special occasions, or if I've had one too many beers. I'd say it works out to about 5 smokes every month for me.

This is where I would like to be at... To be able to have a smoke here and there when I'm out...

Did you quit for a long time first, or were you able to have a smoke here and there right away without getting into the habbit again... ?

deep

TRIBE Member
I think there's an interplay between psychological and physical factors that people underestimate. Initially, smokers get into the habit for various psychological or social reasons. Later, these reasons become secondary for what is nothing more than chemical dependency. In the smoker's mind it can still seem like those initial reasons are the actual reasons why they smoke, however.

When smokers quit, the chemical dependency diminishes over the first 72 hours and next few weeks, but what remains are deeply ingrained psychological associations that need to be altered for a person to stay off cigarettes. Such as the idea that stressful events can be made tolerable by smoking, etc.

I'm not up on the research but I'm willing to bet that there are long term changes to nicotinic receptors in the nervous system of smokers, which in term affect their "need" for nicotine as compared to people who never smoked in the first place.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
CiG said:
This is where I would like to be at... To be able to have a smoke here and there when I'm out...

Did you quit for a long time first, or were you able to have a smoke here and there right away without getting into the habbit again... ?

Well this a dangerous line I tread. If you are a smoker or were it's so easy to fall back. Personally all I can suggest is recognizing the value and threat of a smoke. Knowing all the risks how often do you really want to have one? There will be lots of times you might feel like it, but you can only cave into that craving one in every 100 times (if that). The rest of the time you have to say to yourself... not today. Not this time. It's not worth it. When you do choose to have one, make it one or two not 10. Make it special. Hell, even make plans for it. Then you can look forward to it. Get excited.

Nicotene is one powerful drug. Treat it with respect.

If you buy a pack, give it away at the end of the night. Remove temptation from daily life. If you find you keep relapsing... then remeber I said this was a dangerous game. Quitting outright is truly better.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I'm still trying to hop on the non-smoking wagon.

haven't had a ciggy for about 3 or 4 days now. hope it keeps going. I'm just gonna tell people I still smoke, but don't want one.

hate telling people I quit cause I never do.

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
smoking extends life expectancy, as evident, to the link i previously supplied

The tobacco death toll - February 26, 2003 - Mercilessly, tobacco keeps harvesting an endless number of premature victims. Day after day millions of cigarettes are produced by criminals who KNOW that each and every one of their customers will DIE – and there is no escape, and no more unquestionable truth: if you smoke, you die. This is the case of the late John McMorran, of Lakeland, Florida. He smoked cigars, drank beer and ate greasy food –and now he has paid the dear price for a life turned that stands as an insult to the health crusaders. John was born June 19, 1889, in a log cabin in Michigan, and he was the oldest American living – but he could have lived longer. And that is not all; it is well known that smoking causes blindness and ear problems. In fact, “McMorran's eyesight failed in his final years, and people needed to shout for him to hear them.” What a waste. This is what tobacco does to you. May this epitaph stand as warning to the young, so that they learn to NEVER make John’s mistakes, and turn into statistical deaths.