1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

"Smokey" the pot guarding bear...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by sk8, Sep 1, 2010.

1. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

sad that the bears may have to be put down.

3. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i heard about this. i believe intially there were talks of putting the bears down, but i believe they are reconsidering this postion, and are now looking at an animal sanctuary. i hope they don't get put down, that would be a shame.

best line in the report:

"Maybe they mixed some pot into the food -- it's possible it's why they were so laid back ... they were just lollygagging around," he said, adding the bears had made friends with a raccoon and pot bellied pig also found on the property."

i hope the culprit gets some sort of animal cruelty charge (to me more serious than growing pot). bears are not pets.

4. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

5. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

6. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

i consider the bears that roam the wilds of church street to be pets.

7. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

pocket bears.

[jai]

8. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

9. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

this thing that bother me - now this guy is feeding them and caring for them - great....the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Feeding them dog food? They eat berries and fish mostly. I hope this guy is some sort of trained expert on bears, or that he is a veterinarian of some kind. Other than that, just a hick with odd pets. roll the dice ol' buddy. what if they get sick? you going to cremate them? drag them back into the forest to die naturally? pay to have them operated on by a trained veterinarian? its not a 'feel-good' story. and now people like Jason Priestly are paying this guy to feed dog food to bears. please tell me that i missed something.

11. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

it's in no way a feel-good story - and i honestly don't see this turning out well for the bears...although bears are rehabbed and released a fair bit, so it isn't a new thing.

however there is the possiblity of them being released but with that comes the danger that they will become "nuisance bears" anyway due to their past contact with humans. Because the environment minister has commented - that says to me that research was done into this and they are being fed properly and will be weaned off properly. I don't know how it works in BC but here our ministers and directors every word to the press on stuff like this is carefully scripted by science geeks doing research (although sometimes they "go rogue" LOL). Basically they are giving it a shot, although I admit I'm skeptical. A lot depends on how long these bears were being fed and from what age - which isn't listed in the story. Black bears are not generally aggressive towards humans so attack risk isn't the issue - if they end up being destroyed it likely will be a property damage/habituated to human contact issue.

Late Tuesday, provincial Environment Minister Barry Penner told AFP the property owner, who he said was under investigation and could still face charges, had been ordered to continue feeding the bears until mid-November, by which time they are expected to start hibernating.

"Rather than cutting the bears off... they (will) be gradually weaned," said Penner.

He said when the bears awake in spring, they may learn to stay in the wild and avoid people.

"I hope it will have a happy ending but there's no guarantee," Penner said.

12. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

hopefully they're not simply destroyed when the media light is off the situation.

13. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Meh, if they were going to kill them they would have just up and done it.

Alberta politicians aren't that bright.