1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

smitherman

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by alexd, Sep 3, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

2. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

Smitherman: Pitcher

Smithers: Catcher

3. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

I don't know him that well but I saw smitherman speak at a work function while I was at U of T. Although I don't remember any specifics I do remember that he was a decent speaker, possible a bit populus but that's the game of vote getting.

4. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

i was expecting a lot more from him. he's really disappointed. it's too bad tory didn't bother to run.

we're so fucked if ford gets in and it's looking like he will?! how the fuck does that happen?!!

5. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Too much taxes and boat loads of Tamils.

Don't you read the general forum?

:p

6. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

^^^^
    hahahaha, good point. heard those tamils are planning on invading toronto island and setting up shop there.

7. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Agreed. After listening to Tory on 1010 every afternoon for months during my drive home I have been really impressed by him. He would make a great mayor of Toronto.

8. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

he should have run. i'm pissed that he didn't. i know he didn't want to be put through the wringer again but he would have won this election. i really expected smitherman to rival him but he's been extremely weak.

9. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

So after losing the mayoralty race to Miller (wait... was it once or twice) and then being a do-nothing leader of the Ontario PC part, you all think Tory would have just all of a sudden been Magic in City Hall?

10. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    not to mention being the charming man who engineered the attack ads mocking chretien's palsy way back - all class...
    I got a voice-mail message from Smitherman last night. It sounded alright. Certainly better than the scary one I got from "Doug Ford, Rob Ford's brother" a few weeks ago...

I do think Smitherman is a credible right of centre alternative. (Though anything is better than Ford). He is smart, gets the city, I think, and has provincial connections, which are a must given how municipalities depend on the province in our antiquated legislation.

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I don't know what's funnier, pretending you are getting informed by talk radio, or thinking that Tory would make a great mayor.

Thank you for the funniest post I've read all year!

Absolute gold.

12. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

well provincial politics are pretty different from municipal ones. but the point i was trying to make is that smitherman has done diddly squat since announcing he was going to run for mayor.

he's talked around issues and hasn't come out with any big, bold, ambitious ideas. i want to vote for him but he hasn't wowed me. i'll likely vote for him just to avoid having ford get in but i'm not too optimistic he's going to be a memorable mayor that will lead toronto into new and great places.

13. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    Agreed; it wasn't so much his provincial experience, but that he has some connections there (hopefully hasn't burned all bridges); that's what took Miller forever to build up.

And yes he's done not much of anything since the start of the "campaign"; my sense is the campaign as it were is going to heat up seriously now; it's just over a month to go, and given people's attention spans, it's probably best to focus on the tail end of the timeframe.

14. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

yeah erika, i really hope he comes out swinging hard. i'm fucking terrified that ford will win, haha.

i think he was just down at sugar beach today meeting with reporters and mentioned that if ford were elected all of the waterfront construction would halt. i think if that were to happen i would pull out what few hairs i have left on my head! smitherman then pointed out that he is committed to the continued development of the waterfront.

so that's a check mark in my mind for smitherman.

15. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I hope the tide turns for Joe Pants. There's been so much negative press about the current state of things; but given the shitload of crap that Miller inherited, a lot of good has happened.

16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i predict that all the right-wing nuts in the city (of which there are relatively few in comparison) will stay home eating pork rinds and expecting the voting station to come to their fat asses.

17. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

18. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Up with Pants!

19. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

[QUOTE='[- FuNKtiOn -]
    Im definitely leaning his way at this point.[/QUOTE]

me too. rocco rossi fucked up with his goodfellas/bocce balls ad campaign. not sure what he was thinking, but i can ensure you he lost a lot of the italian votes.

20. cosmiK-Cat

cosmiK-Cat TRIBE Member

ya that was a shining endorsement from NOW. I just am not comfy with his NDP connections. But it sounds like at least he's keep Millers city plan on track. Loved how he tried to turn the arts debate yesterday to a "there is no deficit" debate at every turn. But also a bit irritating that he tried to dominate with his own agenda instead of staying on topic..

21. cosmiK-Cat

cosmiK-Cat TRIBE Member

^^also ew. there is a vote for rf ad in here.

22. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Smitherman is right of centre? are you sure he's not left?

the only thing I find odd is that all of a sudden smitherman is playing up the gay angle, it looked like a vote grab the way it was done.

as mayor I don't think smitherman could stop the trough at city hall. Ford is a baboon but so was mel and he did a decent job.

23. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Rob Ford looks and sounds like he would be at the villain's dinner table when Batman busts through the skylight.

MR Smithers lost my vote last fall when his office, which is in my riding, never returned a phone call, email and told me I needed an appointment and didn't take walk in's when I did just go right to office. The last part was almost right out of that car/muffler commercial.

24. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

oh that's how he's "right of centre" the secrecy/ignoring voters needs issue

personally I don't think any of them will do a good job period. Ford is going to get shot down every time he tries to action one of his campaign promises.

Smitherman is not fiscally responsible and has a history of being wasteful with taxpayers money with little/nothing to show for it.

Rossi, sorry dude you can't be a trailblazer if you have useless ideas that are impossible impliment

Pantaleone, doesn't have the personality but has the experience, sadly its closely tied to Miller

either way Ford seems to be the peoples choice

25. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Yes if by "people" you mean fat pink homophobic racist retards in SUV's.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010