1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

SMD and Annie Mac @ 99 Sudbury

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Thunder, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

Rolled up around 11ish to the venue, walked in and thought this looks smaller than I remember? :confused:

Only one tiny washroom for the ladies :O and a massive spa sized bathroom for the guys seemed a bit unfair but hey I can't complain?

The music - I thought before arriving would be indie fluffy light house with alot of vocals or at least something close to that but instead it was banging electro all the time all night long. I don't have issues with that it's just not what I excpected my bad for hoping for otherwise. Maybe something else was played after I left (relatively early just after 2am)

Annie Mac played almost all electro during her set as mentioned above. (at least that's how I heard it) There were a few gems in her set at the end and she finished off with Magnetic Man's I Need Air which I went off to but I was really hoping she was going to switch up the genres a bit more. Still incredible to see her live regardless of what she played.

We stayed for a bit of SMD's set but by that time it was late for us and we were uber hungry and pumped for poutine from Poutinies. ch33se

Two things I could have done without, the mega heatwave in the venue, i'm sure if i had stayed at the back it would have been less intense but I wanted to dance and hear the music properly, which brings me to my second issue the sound.

There wasn't enough of it and they should have had some speakers at the back of the venue or staggered the speakers mid way. There were alot of times I was standing right beside someone within ten feet of the front of house and could clearly hear them without even raising my voice.

Also I don't care much because I usually go to parties for the music and not the people but it was like they took the patrons of every queen west bar and dumped them into the venue telling them the theme of the night was hipster Prom 2010. :) Everyone was really nice but some of the people I came with felt very old, c'est la vie I suppose? technics1200

2. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

it was my first night out in a long time, and i had a great time.

awesome to see some faces that i haven't seen in quite awhile! :D

i enjoyed annie's set but was also hoping for a bit more of a mix (perhaps some dub step, etc.) but i'm still really happy to have seen her...

smd was fun too.

the venue was warm but not so bad in the middle area, where i found the sound was at its best.

we felt old too, but like you said everyone seemed quite young, although it didn't feel too hipster to me, but then again i'm from kitchener.

3. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Kinda rough around the edges, but in a good way. Had a bit of warehouse flavour.

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

this was about a 20-min walk from our house.

so was the old school dnb nite at lula lounge. but.....

we stayed home and living room raved. it wuz teh funky timese.

5. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

Gah wish we could have met up and talked more bbq turkey tips!