• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Slobodan Milosevic has died

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic has died, the UN tribunal said on Saturday.

"Milosevic was found lifeless on his bed in his cell at the United Nations detention unit," the tribunal said in a statement.

"The guard immediately alerted the detention unit officer in command and the medical officer. The latter confirmed that Slobodan Milosevic was dead."

The tribunal said the Dutch police and a Dutch coroner were called in and started an inquiry. A full autopsy and toxicological examination have been ordered. Milosevic's family has been informed, it added.

Milosevic, 64, suffered a heart condition and high blood pressure which had repeatedly interrupted his trial in the Hague on charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes during the bloody disintegration of Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
he wasn't convicted of anything before he died, was he? his trial was still on hold due to his health problems?

be interesting to see if people think he escaped accountability for his actions by passing away and if they will continue the trail posthumously to determin his legacy.

he was an angry little smelly man.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jebac

TRIBE Member
i am no supporter of milosevic, but if any of you followed the actual proceedings youd see what a good job he did of defending himself, and how much the judges did everything they could to weaken his case.

i am not denying that all these murders too place, but to place the blame squarely on one man is dumb. thats like blaming the chief of police because one police officer accepted bribes or something.

oh and i wont even get started on the legalities of the court

-jebac

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
but then i guess the question is:
if someone in a really high position of authority tells someone with very little authority to kill someone else, who is responsible?

i'd say its a cop out to let the person in authority go just because he didn't do the killing himself.

sorry for being so overly simplistic, but i am going on 5 hours sleep here.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
this raises an interesting question; how much blame should a leader share with his subordinates? does the policy writer who creates the orders have as much responsibility as the ones who actually execute them?

edit: whoops, liz got it first.

jebac

TRIBE Member
do you think that the president of a country knows EXACTLY what EVERYONE is doing at a particular time? no, he doesnt. maybe he didnt know what was going on? maybe no one reported it to him? im playing devils advocate

im sorry he died tho

-jebac

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
jebac said:
do you think that the president of a country knows EXACTLY what EVERYONE is doing at a particular time? no, he doesnt. maybe he didnt know what was going on? maybe no one reported it to him? im playing devils advocate

im sorry he died tho

-jebac
yeah but i think the whole point of war crimes trials is to be able to say with relative definitiveness that the guy in charge knew full well what was happening and gave orders to that effect.
because once that connection is drawn, then he is to be held responsible.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
jebac said:
youre a fool. he is still someones son and brother, no need for shit like that

-jebac
You telling me that they're going to errect some kind of monument in his name?

Dude, he's largely looked upon as a war criminal, and he wasn't in the UN detention centre for having his hand in the cookie jar.

A person like him makes a LOT of enemies in his lifetime.

jebac

TRIBE Member
highsteppa: i appologize i misinterpreted your post as in youd like to piss and shit on his grave or something to that effect.

bootybits: well in that case maybe you should send bush to the war crimes tribunal or clinton. the fact of the matter is you cannot hold one man accountable for the actions of certain individuals. i maintain that he most likely did not know alot of what was taking place

-jebac

jebac

TRIBE Member
ps: if you followed the proceedings youd see that there was VERY little tying him directly to the crimes that took place. sure you can say he covered his tracks well, or maybe he had nothing to do with it? guess we'll never know

-jebac

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
alright, so we hold political figures acountable for their subordinates actions. what about social leaders? what if a notable person who wasn't in office advocated for crimes and people committed them because of it, could he negate responsibility because he has no legal command over them and just infuence?

edit: I'm full of questions today... feel all discussiony.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
alright, so we hold political figures acountable for their subordinates actions. what about social leaders? what if a notable person who wasn't in office advocated for crimes and people committed them because of it, could he negate responsibility because he has no legal command over them and just infuence?
actually, i think even in this case the leader could be held accountable to some degree. like, i believe there is a charge for inciting a riot, or inciting a hate crime. i thiiiiiiiiiiiink.

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
"The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia bears full responsibility for this."
- BORISLAV MILOSEVIC, SLOBODAN'S BROTHER

"It is clear that they have killed him.

This is an outrage. Milosevic was kidnapped from Belgrade and illegally extradited.

The real culprits, murderers and killers are in Brussels and in The Hague."
- NICO VARKEVISSER, SLOBODAN MILOSEVIC FREEDOM CENTRE

cries of foul play? murder most horrid? time and age had no play in the end of Milosevic?

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
actually, i think even in this case the leader could be held accountable to some degree. like, i believe there is a charge for inciting a riot, or inciting a hate crime. i thiiiiiiiiiiiink.
what about in publishing materials? does a essay or article connect someone as much as a podium or soapbox to their message?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
well, its against the law to spread hate literature, but i dunno if that would extend to a flyer that said "hey you! go out and bash someone over the head!"
lol