• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Slavery: 20-hour shifts, regular beatings, torture = 'all the shrimp you can eat'

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
How to buy slavery-free prawns – and have a positive impact on the industry
Wield your consumer power to help remove slavery from the Thai seafood supply chain, says the executive director of the Environmental Justice Foundation

Avoid prawns from Thailand, and contact retailers to check their supply chain.

As a consumer, you have power: you can shape the marketplace and the actions of major companies. Use the power you have in your wallet to make sure we once and for all remove slavery from the Thai seafood we consume.

1. Contact your supermarket's chief executive – write, call, tweet – and ask them if they can guarantee that they have eliminated slavery in their seafood supply chains – and how they have done this.

2. Ask your retailer if they undertake unannounced, independent inspections at every stage of their Thai seafood supply chains. Ask that they to do this if they don't already.

3. Only buy your seafood from sustainable, well-managed fisheries specifically recommended by reputable organisations such as Marine Conservation Society and Greenpeace.

4. As a last resort, if your retailer cannot confirm that its seafood products originating in Thailand are not 100% slavery-free, don't buy them and tell your supermarket bosses why you are not buying.

Steve Trent, executive director, Environmental Justice Foundation

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Maui

TRIBE Member
Would you eat cock roaches for dinner? Why would you eat shrimp,the bottom feeding bugs of the ocean then?

Seafood is nasty, and full of mercury. The oceans are being trashed and depleted and slavery is on your plate. But hey, I guess being a douchetard and paying exorbitant prices at fancy resto's for bugs trumps sanity.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Would you eat cock roaches for dinner? Why would you eat shrimp,the bottom feeding bugs of the ocean then?

Seafood is nasty, and full of mercury. The oceans are being trashed and depleted and slavery is on your plate. But hey, I guess being a douchetard and paying exorbitant prices at fancy resto's for bugs trumps sanity.
I buy my shrimp in Chinatown. I'm likely directly contributing to this slavery. But yes, quite tasty.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Mercury in shrimp?? Man that guy is everywhere!!

Dude, your not even serious are you? Don't try your schtick this time. Even the FDA has guidelines for consuming fish to limit mercury levels, and you know if those guys are warning you it's worse than they say.

Admittedly shrimp may be on the lower end, but they are still cockroaches.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Maui

TRIBE Member
Just checking.

I didn't really get the joke, I thought that dude was supposed to be me. I see now it's the GOAT. Funny.