• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Skype makes outbound calling free (in U.S. & Canada)

lobo

TRIBE Member
For those of you who use Skype or are thinking about it:

Calling people on Skype is totally free. It's also free to call landlines and mobiles within the US and Canada until the end of the year.

http://tinyurl.com/kf8wr

Skype Makes Outbound Calling Free
By Nate Mook, BetaNews
May 15, 2006, 12:49 PM

Skype on Monday turned the Internet telephony industry on its head by introducing free calling to traditional landline and mobile phones in the United States and Canada through its SkypeOut feature. The move comes just days after Microsoft introduced Windows Live Messenger beta with its calling service.

SkypeOut previously charged users per-minute fees for making calls to non-PC users -- a business model being adopted by a number of rivals, including Yahoo, AOL and Microsoft. Now, Skype users can call both fellow Skype users and standard phone numbers without being charged until at least December 31, 2006.

"Yes. It is really very, very free. There’s no prepayment, no minimum use, no subscription, no monthly fee, no nothing," Skype wrote on its Web site. "That is, until December 31, 2006. We’re not quite sure yet what we will do after that. Maybe we extend the free period, maybe not."

International calls will still be charged the standard SkypeOut rates, the company said, which it claims are the lowest in the industry. Skype is hoping the free service will help solidify its position its the market amidst growing competition from the major instant messaging providers and VOIP companies like Vonage.

“Millions of consumers around the world are flocking to Skype every month, and we believe free SkypeOut calling will rapidly accelerate Skype adoption in the US and Canada,” said Henry Gomez, General Manager of Skype North America.

Lobo

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I read about this yesterday, I think it's great. I was already using SkypeOut to call home, but free is even better than the couple cents a minute it cost before.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
So, you don't have to pay anything with Skype, just download their software and start calling? Does this make one more susceptible to telemarketers, the OG spam? Or any other drawbacks?

trinitydub

TRIBE Member
stargurl* said:
I read about this yesterday, I think it's great. I was already using SkypeOut to call home, but free is even better than the couple cents a minute it cost before.

sigh. it's not applicable from calls made from overseas to canada & the us - found this out after making a list of a bunch of people i wanted to call today.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
So, you don't have to pay anything with Skype, just download their software and start calling? Does this make one more susceptible to telemarketers, the OG spam? Or any other drawbacks?

Nope. You don't have to pay anything for these calls and since you're not assigned a phone number to your account, you're not susceptible to all the concerns you listed.

Lobo

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
i already use skypeout, getting their service for free is pretty awesome!!

i'll probably get a skype-in line too now since i don't have to pay for the skypeout service anymore

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
goodbye calling cards. fuck you cel phone long distance!

hello free!!! :):):)

incredible. and the sound is so clear. this is so wikkid!

~*...normurai...*~

lobo

TRIBE Member
Just remember folks...it's only free until the end of the year. They haven't really said what they'll do after that.

Lobo

zoo

TRIBE Member
honestly even what i was paying (2cents/min anywhere in the world) was super cheap so who cares if they make it a pay service again in 2007

it's worth it (to me, i'm used to $100 monthly cell phone bills, NO MORE!)

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
trinitydub said:
sigh. it's not applicable from calls made from overseas to canada & the us - found this out after making a list of a bunch of people i wanted to call today.
What? Boo :( I was excited.

Oh well, €0,017/minute is still fine by me.

Anakin

TRIBE Member
stargurl* said:
What? Boo :( I was excited.

Oh well, €0,017/minute is still fine by me.

Get your friends that you call to use skype. Skype to Skype has always been free.

Mind you they probably need to be infront of a computer to recieve your 'call'

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I know, I've logged many, many hours on Skype-Skype calls (ah, the joys of a long-distance relationship - but not anymore, now that we live together :D). Not everybody uses Skype though, and in the end it's cheaper for me to keep paying €0,017/minute than for me to force everybody I know to buy headsets and sit in front of their computers.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
lobo said:
"Yes. It is really very, very free. There’s no prepayment, no minimum use, no subscription, no monthly fee, no nothing," Skype wrote on its Web site. "That is, until December 31, 2006. We’re not quite sure yet what we will do after that. Maybe we extend the free period, maybe not."

Read:

"It's free until Jan 1 2007, when you've all ditched landlines and other calling packages and are depending nicely on Skype, when we re-introduce charges, probably along some small upgrade in service, Bitches."

keztronic

TRIBE Member
just tried this out tonight and it works great..
grabbed a couple of cheap ass usb phones from factory direct ($30 for 2 with coupon) and my lack of land line/high wireless bill probs should be solved..

zoo

TRIBE Member
Karim said:
So uhhh, what happens to my 8 euros in credits?

i have 9 euros in credits hehe

we can still use it towards non-north america calling :/

i only bought it so i could have an outgoing landline in hamilton ..

Karim

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
i have 9 euros in credits hehe

we can still use it towards non-north america calling :/

i only bought it so i could have an outgoing landline in hamilton ..

ditto. When'll they have skypeIN in canada? Then I can ditch regular phones all together, it'd be even cheaper than voip.