• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

skydiving

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
so I'm going skydiving...I've committed financially already, and now it's just a a matter of time.

Pete tells me there are three types of jumps you can do on your first time.

1) a low altitude jump where you're basically tethered to the plane and as soon as you jump the chute is triggered.

2) a tandem jump where you freefall but the instructor is strapped to your back

or special option 3, which we are doing, where you freefall, but two instructors jump with you, and hold you arms and legs to avoid you going into a death spiral.

just the thought of doing this makes me all antsy.....

so, who has been?

was it the best shit ever!? or over rated? (can't see how)

did anybody defecate in their flight suit? or land in electrical wires?

did you get the video? is it worth it? or is it just you looking petrified with your cheeks flapping in the wind like a bulldog in a hurricane?

how much beer should I bring for afterwards? or will I not be able to keep it down for a while!?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

TRIBE Member
I did option number 1 about 5 years ago. It was pretty fucking cool. I'm really glad I did it.

Bring lots of beer for after. You'll be all hyper and wanting to get pissed.

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
SlipperyPete said:
awesome to see you ask the questions AFTER putting down the cash

It's actually a better idea. Then it's harder to back out.

I've never gone skydiving, but I would absolutely love to. I'd probably rather do tadem.

Jumping with your legs and arms held onto by people would be like an updated aerial midieval rack.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I went and did the tandem jump. It was amazing. We jumped from 2 miles up in the air, and had a freefall for 40 seconds. i went through toronto skydive inc. in barrie. The instructor 'thumper' was a great guy. all in all it was an experience of a lifetime, to see the earth actually curve, and to see CN tower the size of a pin, and to fall through clouds for a second. Felt like nothing else. PM oliveoyl, she's been like 10x.

Don't do it unless you're willing to shell out $ for the video, though. I would be pissed if I didn't have a DVD of my jump. Luckily I do, and it's awesome to watch. They put it together with st. germain's "tourist" album, and it's a great 2 minute clip to show.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
SlipperyPete said:
awesome to see you ask the questions AFTER putting down the cash

haha, I googled "skydiving fatalities" last night.....

this is a warmer fuzzier info gathering session....

and yah, the video is like 95 bucks, which is robbery....but still....I guess you sort of want it.

Moez

TRIBE Member
DUDE! You better report back after you jump. I want to know all about it. I've been meaning to go skydiving for a few years now.

so excited for you :)

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
we're going the last weekend in may, after may 24....

we got some deal if we booked now, and jumped before june but we want to wait until as late as possible so the weather wouldn't be shit....which it still may.

I'm pretty stoked....not sure where the place is again.

pete, post up the link to the jump school.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I did this a few years ago with a couple of Tribers... after a night at System, no sleep. It was fun, wasn't scary until my legs were dangling out the plane.

depraved

TRIBE Member
My 1st jump was like what you describe in '1', but the jumpmaster held my pilot chute, which causes the main chute to deploy 3 secs. after jumping. The rush for me came when I graduated to an unassisted (i.e. pull-your-own-ripcord) freefall & landing; my 1st freefall only lasted 15 secs (jumping from 4500'), but as you accumulate good jumps you jump from higher & the freefall lasts longer. My last jump was from 10,000' & it rocked. With experience, it gets to the point where you know by how far away the ground looks when it's time to pull without even looking at an altimter -- which was the whole point for me anyhow since I got into parachuting as a prep for base jumping.

Good luck.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
I did this a few years ago with a couple of Tribers... after a night at System, no sleep. It was fun, wasn't scary until my legs were dangling out the plane.

bad ass.

we paid 350....is that good or terrible?

seems kind of expensive to me, but whatever...If it's one of those get what you pay for things, I'm cool with that..

ila

TRIBE Member
What the shit is a death spiral?

Fuck buying a video of yourselves, ask for a video of THAT SHIT when you're done.

Also, no matter what you pick you're not going to die so just go with the most fun option (number 3) and give'r. You should talk to my sister and crazy uncle dave. they've both been skydiving and had pretty awesome times. dave's been a bunch of times.

If you feel bad about spending 350 on skydiving, I spent 275 on jeans last saturday.

HOLLA!

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Moez said:
I've been meaning to go skydiving for a few years now.

If you want, I can get you in touch with a co-worker of mine who jumps out at Wakaw all the time....

I'm thinking about doing it this summer....just gotta get my balls to grow a bit more before then.

:p

deep

TRIBE Member
Props to Pete for organizing this, looking forward to jumping out a perfectly good airplane.

Found some pretty good deals on ebay for parachutes - many of them used only once...
emot-pseudoscience.gif

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
joey said:
another question tack..
are you having to do 1 day of classroom stuff or multiple?

just one...we have to learn some stuff on the friday, then again a bit on saturday, but we also jump then too.

Ali: a death spiral isn't a thing, I don't think, I just made it up. :)

DINGER

TRIBE Member
I've done option 1 and 3...option 1 was fine but got boring after a couple jumps and you don't really experience the feeling of freefall - just flailing and falling.

I would do option 2 or 3 for sure if you want the experience of freefall. Both are safer then you think. You have a radio in your helmet to get help landing safely - you won't end up on a church roof or on a highway.

It's worth the extra money to fly.