• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Skream + Benga

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
So I don't listen to dubstep very often. I'm a house person but dubstep is growing on me. I'm not a hip hop person either but a number of times on Sunday night I was listening to the tunes thinking, fuck, this needs some really sick, recognizable, hip hop lyrics over top and it would sound even more sick than it already is.

So here's a track I whipped together and I think it demonstrates quite nicely.

It's Anti Serum's - Skull Fucked with Jay-Z's Dirt Off Your Shoulder. It's one of only two dubstep tunes that I own. As opposed to about 4000 house tracks. LOL.

http://djmikeryan.com/trax/AntiSerum vs Jay-Z - Dirt off Your Skull Fucked.mp3

Enjoy. ;)

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
marcus up to his old tricks eh? that guy used to destroy every dnb headliner brought in to Tdot (accept andy c) glad to see he's up to it in the dubstep scene as well. he's got to be one of toronto's fuck it canada's best overall djs

perhaps 'boundary pushing' is indeed the new 'easy way out'. People want to hear new stuff, they crave it in fact. they want to hear hardcore stuff with new innovative sounds. If the crowd gets anything but that, they are not satisfied. So I think that is, in fact, the easy way out. If you really want to push the boundaries, bring a banjo and knee cymbals instead of serato and dubs. See if people's perspectives on the sound can really be changed/progressed/pushed sincerely.
whats your point? :rolleyes:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
just another way to look at it, is all. that grey area of 'what is acceptable and what is the boundary' -- youre not getting defensive and uptight are ya? :p I guess to younger folks who dont stand back and consider the big picture, its either 'cool' or 'not cool'. well fuck then.

Last edited:

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
I'm a house person but dubstep is growing on me.
Enjoy. ;)
MR, I too grew up on house and for years thats all i listened to and thats all i would spin in my home town. Over the last year or so dubstep has really made a solid home in my musical preferences. It grows on ya big time. I hope you start to enjoy it more and more.

djfear

TRIBE Member
The bad:
  • Too hot after midnight
  • skipping needles
  • Too many rewinds
  • $30 @ the door? They should have posted this info! I would have bought a ticket

The good:
  • Free water! Yes Wrongbar, you delivered on this
  • GREAT SETS by all DJs, I was not disappointed by the music at all
  • Very positive vibe in the place
  • Friendly staff & security

All in all I got my money's worth and it was definitely an amazing show. Perfect way to start off the summer.

But yeah, those skipping needles were hurting. They need to learn to either ask everyone on stage to not jump up and down, to turn down the bass if it's skipping the needle, to get fresh copies of vinyl that skips, or to use proper needles with the appropriate weight on them and with appropriate anti skating settings.

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member
The bad:
But yeah, those skipping needles were hurting. They need to learn to either ask everyone on stage to not jump up and down, to turn down the bass if it's skipping the needle, to get fresh copies of vinyl that skips, or to use proper needles with the appropriate weight on them and with appropriate anti skating settings.

or...just go digital. Yeah, it was cool to see them play an entire set of original dubplates BUT if you're going to be touring the world and playing these same ones each time, they are for sure going to wear down.

just sayin'.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
its funny how this hasn't happened at any of their other tour spots that we know of...just toronto. hey zoo, did it happen out west? is toronto cursed? :D :p

djfear

TRIBE Member
or...just go digital. Yeah, it was cool to see them play an entire set of original dubplates BUT if you're going to be touring the world and playing these same ones each time, they are for sure going to wear down.

just sayin'.
Yah, especially if you keep rewinding them with such force! Still... I've "fixed" records that skipped before, or if I knew they skipped at a certain spot I would just start the record where it wouldn't skip and would just mix it in from there.

I felt embarrassed for them when it kept skipping after two rewinds. After the third time it would have felt like an awkward comedy starring Ben Stiller.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
I'm preeeeeetty sure I know the two dudes you're talkin bout. :D

They're good guys, just a lil bit too hyped for the night. ;)
one of them was for sure nick.c, haha..

dj.nick.c said:
Funktion-One; we're not worthy (wayne's world, anyone?)
Unless that was done in Goldmember's voice, totally unacceptable.

btw, you're behind on your friend payments.

*edit: pretty bummed about missing this one.. meh, Shambhala will no doubt make up for it :D

dj.nick.c

TRIBE Member

*edit: pretty bummed about missing this one.. meh, Shambhala will no doubt make up for it :D
ummmmm, i think i kept my dubstep dancing to a modest skankity skank this time 'round. I can be sure this person was referring to the gentlemen front and center. I was in the back right corner to avoid death by heat stroke and/or dehydration.

the goldmember voice was my full intention, ontop of the waynes world ref., whoa, a double reference, whoa guy.

i don't need this friendship, especially if you're going to harrass me on a public forum, bitch! i think i'll just go ahead and cancel that shambhala flight i booked for you. i'll let you know how benga and skream are a second time around.

DICK!

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member

tiz funny because one of their names IS Nick, but I don't think it's the same one that's on here (as he already said..)

i think this will go down as one of the best parties of the year, regardless of skipping needles and heat stroke!

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
i don't need this friendship, especially if you're going to harrass me on a public forum, bitch! i think i'll just go ahead and cancel that shambhala flight i booked for you. i'll let you know how benga and skream are a second time around.

DICK!
hardee har har!

fine then, enjoy that Westjet credit. =)

pr.incest

TRIBE Member
Oh you two. Sparrin' and a fistin'! Am I gonna have to call a time out? Also Robert with Nick's new luscious 'Biceps of Steel' you might be in for something of a ride! Then again I don't think I've ever felt your biceps... I'll have to ask the Miss as to what might makes right there...

Anyway so looking forward to Shams!

And yeah that party really was great: heat stroke, heart murmurs, smelliness, sound disruptions, rough and tumble boys and all. Good times should have miserable points within. All part of the seething fun I gather. Who wants perfection anyway and Destro it was good to meet you via 'WickedKen' at the quite enjoyable (but also boiling) Promise thing two nights previous. Crazy great venue and while I didn't run into you at Skream & Benga, I'm glad to see/read/hear you enjoyed.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
Oh you two. Sparrin' and a fistin'! Am I gonna have to call a time out? Also Robert with Nick's new luscious 'Biceps of Steel' you might be in for something of a ride! Then again I don't think I've ever felt your biceps... I'll have to ask the Miss as to what might makes right there...

Anyway so looking forward to Shams!

And yeah that party really was great: heat stroke, heart murmurs, smelliness, sound disruptions, rough and tumble boys and all. Good times should have miserable points within. All part of the seething fun I gather. Who wants perfection anyway and Destro it was good to meet you via 'WickedKen' at the quite enjoyable (but also boiling) Promise thing two nights previous. Crazy great venue and while I didn't run into you at Skream & Benga, I'm glad to see/read/hear you enjoyed.

ahhhhhhh yesssss - (jus' put two and two together!).

nice to finally meet you too (after seeing you at jams for years)