• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ski/Snowboard Preparation

sk8

TRIBE Member
Skiers' Checklist

Ski season is here. The following is a list of exercises is to help you prepare:

Soak your gloves in water and store them in the freezer after every use.

Fasten a small, wide rubber band around the top half of your head before you go to bed each night.

If you wear glasses, begin wearing them with glue smeared on the lenses.

Throw away a hundred dollar bill - now.

Find the nearest ice rink and walk across the ice 20 times in your ski boots carrying two pairs of skis, accessory bag and poles. Pretend you are looking for your car.

Sporadically drop things.

Place a small but angular pebble in your shoes, line them with crushed ice,and then tighten a C-clamp around your toes.

Buy a new pair of gloves and immediately throw one away.

Secure one of your ankles to a bed post and ask a friend to run into you at high speed.

Go to McDonald's and insist on paying $8.50 for a hamburger. Be sure you are in the longest line.

Clip a lift ticket to the zipper of your jacket and ride a motorcycle fast enough to make the ticket lacerate your face.

Drive slowly for five hours - anywhere - as long as it's in a snowstorm and you're following an 18 wheeler.

Fill a blender with ice, hit the pulse button and let the spray blast your face. Leave the ice on your face until it melts. Let it drip into your clothes.

Dress up in as many clothes as you can and then proceed to take them off because you have to go to the bathroom.

Slam your thumb in a car door. Don't go see a doctor.

Repeat all of the above every Saturday and Sunday until it's time for the real thing.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
Hey Kate, I'm going snowboarding for the first time next weekend w/ Jen at al.

Any tips? ;)

ummm... wear kneepads?

ok. real tips. go on a bunny hill only to get your balance sorted out. it's ridiculous and frustrating to try to learn on such a flat slope. it is much easier to learn on a steeper hill, like a nice blue hill with no bumps.

an instructor friend took me out 2 years ago when i was learning and immediately took me up a blue hill. by the second run i could link turns.

i had tried to learn a couple times before on the bunny hills and always ended up frustrated and putting my skis back on.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
kev, I was never a real skater, but I did for a few years as a kid.

It definetly helps pick-up on boarding. Especially with the balance on carving side to side.

All you begginers, go to the small hill on Blue, not the stupid one with the little tow or whatever, but a real hill.

I go down any hill and if I go to that small one I fall, because it's toooo slow. You need a bit of an angle to get some speed to start off IMO.

Best lesson is get your bindings all down up... go down the hill on one edge far as you can. Slowly, then stop and plop down and flip over and do the same edge the other way ... and continue for the next edge...
Eventually making your turns more straight...

Now try to hit every jump you see, do 180s and 360s out of nowhere and fall on your face and get up and go ... WOOO HOO!

Oh ya, if your name is sk8 and you hit your knee really bad on ice, don't do a few more runs and think it's ok ;)

pr0nstar :D

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I've done longboarding down some whacky hills as well, so the motion of speed/carving isn't alien to me.

Having it be slippy underneath me will be a challenge, I'm sure.

I'm pumped though! It's been so long since I've said I was gonna try it.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Go to McDonald's and insist on paying $8.50 for a hamburger. Be sure you are in the longest line.

Ha ha :)

Last time we went we bought Mr. sub and left them in the car. Then when we wanted lunch we ate our subs in the car and listened to tunes.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar

Oh ya, if your name is sk8 and you hit your knee really bad on ice, don't do a few more runs and think it's ok ;)

pr0nstar :D

yeah.

well.

i'm stupid.

:D

<-- skied the rest of the day after breaking my ribs and nose too

Funzo

TRIBE Member

Any tips? ;)

That's awesome! When you realize this is the best sport you've ever done we should go riding someday!

Casper

TRIBE Member
why buy food or take breaks for that matter? one pocket sandwich, the other pipe, a camel back under your fleec for beverage of choice but, i don't think they'll too many all day outings this season,
peace

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Whhhhooooooo!
"You wiiill jooooiiiin ussssssssss"

'Bout time more folks I know get into it!!
Caspers got a good point too- I prefer to brown bag it, & save $ for gear....

-J
*powder*powder*powder*powder*

bambam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY
BRING A PILLOW FOR YOUR AZZ!
hahaha
this one seoson I was teaching a group of beginners and this one girl fell and broke her tailbone her first time snowboarding ever...next season she was in the same beginners group i was teaching and she broke her tailbone on the first day...again.
i dont know why i find that so funny, i probably shouldnt. meh

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by cosmiK-Cat
Oh yes. That too.
Ms. Killalady you guys get some good runs in for me this weekend.
-J
Oh, I SUUURE WILL! :)
Sunday too.

and bambam, that's faking hilarious!

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
I went to lakeridge last week.

I dunno why they call it that. There's no lake, nor is there a ridge.

Hotdog: $4.35

If you go there get the potien.
I haven't been there in ages but i remember that they were sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!

smile

TRIBE Member

Any tips? ;)

here's a tip for all you ontario riders:

ENJOY THE ANTHILL, SUCKERS!

just to make you jealous, here's what i've been shredding:

122803_view.jpg

122903_view_bm.jpg

have a nice time on blue "mountain".

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
If you go there get the potien.
I haven't been there in ages but i remember that they were sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!

Life lessons here folks.... Never tell a french guy where to get Poutine.
That's like telling an american where to buy a gun

okay, it isn't... but it's close.

I've had Lakeridge's Poutine. It's nasty.

Shann

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by smile
here's a tip for all you ontario riders:

ENJOY THE ANTHILL, SUCKERS!

just to make you jealous, here's what i've been shredding:

122803_view.jpg

122903_view_bm.jpg

have a nice time on blue "mountain".

MmmmM

Home sweet home!

Have fun Kev!

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
shadapa yu!

^^^^am totally jealous.

But I'm planning a trip already for next year!!
-J
*even it means renting a van & sleeping in it