1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Skate 3 review - Early on.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by oddmyth, May 12, 2010.

1. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Skate 3 went retail yesterday. I spent most of the day pondering whether I would purchase the game on day 1. As a former Am skateboarder it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that I should have *some* skate game in my possession. I really wasn't feeling Ride whatsoever and I really loved Skate 1.

When I went out to grab Chinese food for dinner I decided to slip over to EB and grab it before my conscience really got the best of me and I'm glad I did.

I think most reviewers have really forgone the first impressions of a game these days and really just focus on the meat of it all without mentioning the presentation. EA/BlackBox have gone out of their way to make this game polished while still displaying the ethos that makes skate-culture so attractive. The opening sequence is a video montage of all the pro skaters working on the lumberyards and board factories and is a creative take on the "here's how a skateboard is made" kind of videos. One part fact and some B-grade acting make the opening sequence worth watching, especially if you've grown to love the skater-cum-actor sequences that are so prevalent in skate videos these days.

The game consists of you and eventually a team putting together your own company. To do this you take photo ops/video ops and challenges to unlock content and accessories through earning board sales. Board sales are key to growing your company, however you can always chill and session a spot.

One of the differentiators between just going through the motions in this game and actually playing it hardcore is the concept of 'owning' a spot and 'killing' a spot. Most challenges will present you with both an 'owning' and 'killing' task however as you will soon learn the 'killing' tasks can be quite tremendous. One of the earlier 'killing' tasks involves a two sets of stairs a planter. To kill this one you have to grind the first set, flip out, grab over the second set and then slide the planter. I'm a moderate skate player and I spent probably half an hour trying to complete this task before moving on. I came very close but it just goes to show you that 'killing' the spot is not going to be the pushover task in this game.

If you follow the dialogue you will find a lot of emphasis is put into skatepark creation, which you will discover early on is a great system, in which you can customize not only the configuration, but the texturing and logo's in a park (as well you can earn new objects buy selling more boards) Eventually after selling a number of boards your team will be given their own skatepark and you can just go ride it, or start customizing it to your hearts content.

I haven't bothered with the online stuff as of yet, but from what I've read your team can extend to your friends, you can put your custom parks online and earn board sales via the number of downloads your park has received and I'm sure a great many more things.

Overall I do agree with the reviews that Skate3 is a niche game and while most people will enjoy it, it really does take a skater mentality to want to session a handrail for half an hour or spend hours just creating a smooth line through a park and nailing every trick. The truth is that is exactly what skaters do and is one of the reasons that I love Shaun White Snowboarding on the PS3 (just rockin' the slopes is hella fun).

For people brought up with the 1080-mctwist-to crooked-grind-laser flip-to-smith-on-the-conduit-in-the-rafters Tony Hawk style of game will probably be dissapointed by not being able to mash buttons for high scores in a carrot on a stick to the end of the game type of challenge.

For me however having my custom skater kick a varial shuv-it to blunt slide and flip out straight while Ol'Dirty kills it on 'Shimmy Shimmy Y'all' in the background is all I need for a good time.

2. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Dear Todd. You are a nerd. I Love you. Please marry me.

3. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

i picked the game up on tuesday as well. Havent put a whole lot of time into it sadly.

Dont think i will give it the time it deserves w/ red dead redemption coming out this week.

4. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I'm not sure if i'm going to purchase this one or not. Skate 3 didn't seem much different that Skate 2.

5. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

@ian - will my bbq fit in your backyard? If so bring proposal to Liberty Village anon.

@kodiak - buying skate dipped into my beer fund, no red dead for me :(

@agentRC4 - not a massive overhaul, but definitely still worth a used purchase down the line. As I mentioned I have no Skate games at my disposal currently, if I had Skate 2 I may have been more apt to pass as well.

6. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

the added moves (Darkslides/catches) and the hardcore mode are very fun.

Also the skate park editor is very easy to use. Moving objects around the world is much MUCH easier now. Same with offboard walking/running controls. You can finally do a proper drop in into a pool/half pipe too.

7. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Yeah, the more I play the demo and read on-line about it, i'm starting to think about picking this up. Hopefully I'll get $5 trade-in from EB.