1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

simon baker @ amsterdam brewery

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Nesta, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

that was the closest thing to a rave that i've seen since 1999. amazing venue, incredible music and a proper party vibe! simon baker continues to blow my mind every time i see him. monster track after monster track of big, bass heavy, crunchy, punchy, funky house and techno. the kind of music that warrants a reaction with every mix. the kind of music that forces you to dance your ass off. i saw old friends for the first time in years. i left shortly into matthew dear's set, but i kinda felt sorry for the guy having to follow mr. baker. any reviews for matt dear?

i really hope this party kicks off a series of events at this killer venue and maximum respect to a.f.e. society for taking the time to find a unique venue and putting a real effort into the decor.

party of the year!

2. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I got a text from someone around 1 am that said "the room is hot, the sound is bad"; I'm curious to hear more reviews...

3. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

the venue was super cool, but desperately needed a/c. at least there were a few large fans to park oneself in front of. i was pretty bored musically - i felt like it was super up and down and i couldn't really ever get into it for more than 5 min at a time. went outside to cool off and came back in just before 3:00 to find matthew dear on. i actually liked the music finally and managed to stick around for another 20 min, but by that point it was a bit of a "too little, too late" situation and all i could think about was how much i wanted to go to bed.

overall, i still had a great time and i loved the different venue and the whole rave-y vibe, but the music just didn't do it for me.

4. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

The thread title is appropriately focusing on Simon Baker. He had the set of the night but I didn't expect it to be so hard! Toronto hasn't really had this kind of "big room" event in a while and I think both Mr. Baker and Mr. Dear thought they had the "ok" to rock out. Unfortunately while Simon Baker did it reasonably well, Mr. Dear's big room sound is not that great with very little programming.

I actually left disappointed with the night as well as I did come specifically for Mr. Dear, and hoping to hear some more interesting tracks from him, but I guess he just thought he was at a rave and did not venture into the type of music I expected to hear from him.

There are two other points for this venue - it was quite hot, in that baking-humidity type of venue. A number of large fans were operational but they just could not keep the circulation throughout the floor and the heat permeated the entire place. Frequent breaks were in order even if you were not dancing, and I saw a large crowd chilling outside every time I went out.

The other point is that, even though I fully acknowledge that this is the "Amsterdam brewery", paying $6 for a dixie cup of alcohol and $5 for a cup of their stellar brew is ridiculous.

Otherwise the space itself was large and roomy, sound was fairly powerful but somewhat muddy, and the people there to have fun. It's great when this type of event brings out familiar faces from days gone by. However I think that our crowd is generally more musically aware, so together with all these points above left the venue noticeably emptier just past 3 AM. I didn't even stay to hear the remainder of Mr. Dear's set.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  5. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

Amsterdam - welcome to your post-rave years

as mentioned above the heat made for an event where you really couldn't zone into the sound, as you'd have to leave often.

i really enjoyed the decoration. it was really cool to see matthew dear in a makeshift spaceship with tenticles made out of tin foil! terrence's t-shirts were for sale too which was cool.

a comment on the beer - i was really suprised above all that it was warm. as a fan of this brand i was actually excited to go to the brewery for the first time but the warm beer in the frat party cup was off. i guess you can't stick a keg in a sauna and expect it to come out cold lol.

nice to see soapy and oerets.

6. outlaw

outlaw TRIBE Member

I thought Simon Baker was a bit boring. Overall too 'clubby' and not nearly as interesting as some of his own tracks I've heard in other mixes.

and yes lovely venue but the heat was brutal.

7. soapy

soapy TRIBE Promoter

awesome venue and decor. would be perfect in any month other than july when the heat isnt so intense. the big fans were awesome and there was one in the front right beside a speaker which provided a great space for dancing. i thought the sound was top notch. great crowd and tons of really good looking girls. for me simon baker was really good but not epic. matt dear on the other hand was definitely epic especially towards the end. best techno ive heard in ages! funky, quirky, rolling monster baselines. terrific mixing and use of buildups. the final 45mins was absolutely insane!
    total rave vibe just wish it could have gone on for another 2 hours.
    thanks to everyone involved for a great time.

8. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

on the flip side of heat, we went to a party in this venue in December a few years back (Blow Up reunion)...It was freezing!!

Not a bad space, but would need a lot of work to really make a party feel intimate (ie the blow up party just stuck a couple of djs on a table)...

9. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

10. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

of course i am the only person you can see in this video!

and a video i took of matthew dear at sunnyside two years ago shows up in the sidebar. worth checking out:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4EZuUfOLo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

11. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

senor tunes, good seeing you as well!

got to this a little after 2 - was at Stone Lounge before for Three, who was putting us to sleep with his no-energy tracks. Great crowd over there though.

party at amsterdam was crazy! Walked in to Simon Baker finishing up with some skippy bassy funk, really enjoyed that stuff. Matt Dear followed with some good shit too, a little more minimal but still a lot of fun to dance to.

Loved the sweaty rave vibe in there, hadn't felt that in many years