• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sign the 'save kensington' petition

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
There's already a walmart 3kms away at Sufferin Mall (not a typo), pretty sure that would constitute within a 'county' in Canadian parlance.

TRK

TRIBE Member
Not sure I care about people's opinion who don't live in the neighborhood. I do (little Italy, which is actually closer to this proposed walmart), and signed the petition. If you want to live beside a big box store, go for it. In this case it is the residents who should decide whether they want to see significant changes to zoning. Neighborhood's (like a great party) have a living "soul" - nourish it and you have something amazing - walmart is a soul killer, best left in the suburbs.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
MediaPost Publications Study: Wal-Mart Has Positive Impact On Communities 01/21/2008

A new report finds that Wal-Mart benefits rather than harms the American economy. The study, which was just released by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, shows that between 1985 and 2003, personal income, overall employment and retail employment grew faster in counties with a Wal-Mart than in those without one.
geez, i wonder who funded that study. :p

maybe it's cuz wal-mart decides to put their stores in areas where the economy is strong and there is good prospect for growth?

that's like saying no two countries in the world that have wal-marts have ever been to war against each other so therefore wal-marts are good for world peace.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Walked through there today after work. Dirty, smelly... weird people smoking pot right out in the open. I love that neighbourhood. If rents weren't so high, it'd be my choice place to live.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i find it funny that people are bitching about the lack of free parking around with this topic.

Maybe you straight fuckers, oh wait...... bad.

But anyways.... trying to find some free parking for the night while going to the homo area of toronto is like trying to find a fucking unicorn in a swingers club:

FREE PARKING DOES NOT EXIST IN TORONTO.

so seriously. This thread can seriously go fuck themselves. Because this same argument has been going around in the yonge/church/wellsely area for like... um... for ever.

welcome to the rest of the city motherfuckers.

Enjoy.

Sorry, but your little "niche" parking shit problems have been going on since the dawn of time in this city. EVen in the past trying to find parking ANYWHERE in the area of kensington is fucking pathetically sad.

no sympathy from this 905er

oh, btw... here's a hint. Find a parking lot with a "Generic" parking tag that you can scan, ms paint (shit don't even need to photoshop) and print. Estimate the time that you arrive. Pre print your shit. Find a spot. Put your fake parking tag in your window.

Fuck you toronto people are FUCKING STUPID.

Been doing this shit for fucking YEARS when i drive into downtown toronto.
So again, why are you cunts bitching? Oh wait.......... you're not as smart as i am.

*edit*
I wrote parking tickets in the city for numerous years. I still have my MLEO license btw. Trust me when i say this. Guards and even the blue hornets don't look "too closely" on the parking stubs. They take a quick look and move on. You don't even have to be a fucking photshop master. Like i said. I edited my shit in MS PAINT,............. never got a parking ticket.

You fucking clowns in downtown spew out so much horse shit it's not even funny. I drive my ass in 40 minutes into downtown, park my car for 8 fucking hours and i LAUGH at you. Because you're fucking stupid........

Last edited:

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Usually you make those abusive, incoherent, heterophobic rambling crazy person posts after 1am. It's kind of cool to see you branching out to 11:10pm like that. Props.

me

TRIBE Member
You fucking internet blowhorns. Suck it up, change the world; and five years from now you've hopefully moved on. Get over it...man. Kensington will be fine. Bathurst will be fine. We'll all be ok...

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
That's a terribly defeatist attitude to have. Of course a petition showcasing the sentiments of the local residents will make a difference to the OMB review board. I understand what you're saying, but this ain't Turkey.. if enough people speak up, it will be much more difficult for Riocan to get the area re-zoned. I think this is one petition that everyone (who cares and agrees) should sign.
no offense or anything, but i happen to be living in Istanbul right now and the people of Toronto could learn a thing or two from the people of Istanbul - they don't like a mall coming in, it doesn't come in ....

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Trust me when i say this. Guards and even the blue hornets don't look "too closely" on the parking stubs. They take a quick look and move on.
Some of them do, some of them don't. I used to buy an "all night" pass from a (cheaper) green P in Parkdale, and then use it to park at my girlfriend's house at Wellesley/sherbourne in the Green P across from the Phoenix overnight. I didn't always get away with it! Granted I usually did!

derek

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the note of clarification :)

Even if companies aren't making direct deliveries (by courier or otherwise), stock still needs to move from the central warehouse to the retail store. Wouldn't that require semi-regular, sizeable, deliveries? That still doesn't address the issue of loading noise, especially at night, for those living directly behind the store.
the noise could be a concern for any operation after 11pm but then with traffic and ambient noise in that area at all hours, it would probably be drowned out.

i'm slightly in favour of it and suspect that as pointed out that if it were a canadian tire going in there'd be less disagreement.

i remember dufferin mall in the 90s and it's way nicer now. the walmart did not destroy the area.

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the note of clarification :)

Even if companies aren't making direct deliveries (by courier or otherwise), stock still needs to move from the central warehouse to the retail store. Wouldn't that require semi-regular, sizeable, deliveries? That still doesn't address the issue of loading noise, especially at night, for those living directly behind the store.
good thing there isn't a hospital near by, or a strip of club/lounges/little Italy.... if there was, the semi regular ambulance sirens and trucks delivering food/supplies/beer might be an issue as well.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i'm slightly in favour of it and suspect that as pointed out that if it were a canadian tire going in there'd be less disagreement.
if a developer tried to alter the *zoning* of my downtown residential neighbourhood to enable it to build a large big-box retail centre or multi-storey shopping centre, i would do whatever i could to stop it.

there are already enough established retail areas in downtown toronto.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Too many seem to forget that zoning and more broadly, planning, is an active and consultative process that seeks inputs from a variety of stakeholders. Those who trumpet market triumphalism when commenting on these issues are either driving a hard polemic or are simply naive.

Building and developing in cities is heavily regulated and so should it be, a developer does not get to arbitrarily decide where they build, how tall they build, nor do they get to impose their will on many other facets of the design construction process. It's gospel that the immediate and unconstrained interests of developers is not in line with official plans for city building, and so many proposals are significantly altered, or denied outright.

With that in mind, Wal-Mart has no "right" to build in an an urban setting, but they do have a right to submit a proposal. Similarly, citizens and especially those who live in close proximity have every right to make their concerns known during the application process.

It wasn't that long ago that SmartCentres tried to push a similarly designed Wal-Mart on Leslieville and after a lengthy battle, the residents won. There's no reason to think that will not be the outcome in Kensington.

Shout outs to KMW and le bricoleur for injecting some knowledge and context around planing and zoning into this discussion.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
For those who trumpet Leslieville as an example of how to stop a box box store, the end result is just a shitty or evermore so than what would have occurred if Walmart had moved in.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Walked through there today after work. Dirty, smelly... weird people smoking pot right out in the open. I love that neighbourhood. If rents weren't so high, it'd be my choice place to live.
Even if rent was cheaper, I still wouldn't live there. Nearby, but not in.

I've known enough people that live in the area, and they suffer huge pest (rats...like giant fuckign rats...and cockroaches).

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
good thing there isn't a hospital near by, or a strip of club/lounges/little Italy.... if there was, the semi regular ambulance sirens and trucks delivering food/supplies/beer might be an issue as well.
Yep.

I live in a coach house. Our windows back on the Alley between Euclid & Manning.

We have to shut our windows on weekends, because you still hear the "Untz-Untz-Untz" from the bars on college. Even on weekdays, we'll be woken up by the LCBO delivery trucks ( LCBO on college is across the alley from our bedroom window) at 6am. These trucks emit a super high pitch tone while the delivery door is open).

Don't like the sounds of the city? Don't live in the city.

Last edited:

rawd

TRIBE Member
Downtown living inching closer to just living.... Soon the only diff between the core and outside will be just the insane traffic due to fucking parades and condo construction.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
For those who trumpet Leslieville as an example of how to stop a box box store, the end result is just a shitty or evermore so than what would have occurred if Walmart had moved in.
The new development proposal is so much better than the last! It is much more geared towards mixed-use, it will integrate bike lanes, public spaces as well as retrofit old buildings.

Massive retail development and hotel planned for old Toronto Film Studios site

As much as I'm loathe to praise, SmartCentres, this new proposal clearly reflects the feedback gather in the last attempt, and is as decent a large scale retail infill as I've seen proposed in Toronto.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Kensington is dying and there is not much that can be done about it. (Sorry) Its no different to other areas around Toronto that just don't get the press.
Dying?!?!

When was the last time you went there?

I do most my grocery shopping in Kensington and it's always busy and bustling when I'm there.

Go there on a weekend afternoon and the streets are packed! Especially a Pedestrian Sunday.

Clothing and retail busy, bars busy, restaurants busy, grocery and produce busy, cafe's busy.

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member
With that in mind, Wal-Mart has no "right" to build in an an urban setting, but they do have a right to submit a proposal. Similarly, citizens and especially those who live in close proximity have every right to make their concerns known
can we define 'close'? I'm pretty sure a lot of the slacktivists on FB circulating this petition to 'save kensington', live nowhere near kensington. that said, the proposal actually puts this development in Trinity Bellwoods, not kensington.