• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shows worth watching?

While I think there are huge flaws with Foundation, having a genetic Emperor is a massive Sci Fi idea. The 3 stages of life thing. I think I will track down the source material for this and read it. It's an Asimov book, right? I bet if J. Michael Straczynski had done this show it would have been a lot better. The politics here are interesting.

It does feel like a bit of chore to watch from time to time - a few too many digressions.

But the Dawn, Day and Dusk idea for the emperor is a fantastic and very compelling story to follow, as you said. Lee Pace can be a bit hammy in the role, but he still keeps it interesting.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It does feel like a bit of chore to watch from time to time - a few too many digressions.

But the Dawn, Day and Dusk idea for the emperor is a fantastic and very compelling story to follow, as you said. Lee Pace can be a bit hammy in the role, but he still keeps it interesting.
The last episode where they go into the basement (or wherever it was) and there is the original Empire dude in a large test tube. I can picture Zuckerberg considering this to prolong his reign.

praktik

TRIBE Member

I've been enjoying it! Some pacing improvements could have been made but so far so good, enough compelling content to keep me going. Fuck me if I forget the books I read as a 16 year old!

The last episode where they go into the basement (or wherever it was) and there is the original Empire dude in a large test tube. I can picture Zuckerberg considering this to prolong his reign.

He's getting ALL KINDS of ideas!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've been enjoying it! Some pacing improvements could have been made but so far so good, enough compelling content to keep me going. Fuck me if I forget the books I read as a 16 year old!

He's getting ALL KINDS of ideas!
I just started reading the foundation e-book pack I got off z-lib. The opening descriptions of Trantor, holy fuck! An entire planet literally paved over with steel buildings, the locals choosing not to go out into the air and above it because it freaks them out too much.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am watching Y The Last Man. Somebody on here years ago referred me to read the graphic novel(s) which I now forget and it was ebook so didn't have the same impact. I like the post apocalypticness of it I guess.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Been spreading the watching around but have to say this Goliath final season is superb. On Ep 6 after tonight

praktik

TRIBE Member
I am watching Y The Last Man. Somebody on here years ago referred me to read the graphic novel(s) which I now forget and it was ebook so didn't have the same impact. I like the post apocalypticness of it I guess.
nice it's on deck. Any good??

The graphic novels were so good (even though I hated the art), but the TV show didn't seem to find it's groove. They also leaned heavy into what The Walking Dead had already done in the way of look and atmosphere - which I think was a mistake.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

He was definitely over the top on the desert walk, but it still worked somehow.

Also, I have the hots for the Danish android.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I'm liking Bladerunner Black Lotus for the animation, which is spectacular. The animators have almost nailed human facial expression. Motion capture makes most of the movement seem real after a while. Try to find this show if you are a Bladerunner fan., but many of DLs are Japanese with no subs.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
I'm not crazy about Raised by Wolves. Sure it's Ridley Scott producing, but it feels and looks like late 70's early 80's Dr. Who production values.

The trailer for season 2 is out - which looks fantastic.

I'm on a bit of an island about the show as the last episode really turned a good portion of the audience against it - leaving me and a few others in wonder/awe instead.

If you're not going with it already? Stop maybe.

I loved the world building and the vibe pretty much throughout.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Expanse is back!

Final eps for this arc.... next three books after this one jump a bit in years and focus on Laconia and basically a new arc that is less Holden-centric (still in books as an aged man but not as central to the story).

Unsure if final three books will be turned into some Amazon movies - but you can bet your bottom dollar there will be something. So many novellas in the storyline too that could be fleshed out into Amazon movies too

praktik

TRIBE Member
Got my copy of the last book as part of a bundle deal for a talk last week with the guys behind the James SA Corey pseudonym:x

28335699.jpg

Finishing Mark Lynas "Our Final Warning" re-write of his "6 Degrees" book - then will dive in!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am watching Station Eleven which is kind of like the Walking Dead, except with a shakesperian acting troup, post virus apocalypse. I don't understand the comic book everyone is reading or even care what it means, perhaps at some point I will. Has Mackenzie Davis, the actor with twice as many tendons as your average actor. I like her quirky end of the world attire.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I am watching Station Eleven which is kind of like the Walking Dead, except with a shakesperian acting troup, post virus apocalypse. I don't understand the comic book everyone is reading or even care what it means, perhaps at some point I will. Has Mackenzie Davis, the actor with twice as many tendons as your average actor. I like her quirky end of the world attire.

The book is excellent source material and so glad it's doing such a great job of translating to screen! Loving it so far. David cross is amazing.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Christopher Walken is in it! He's just so odd and such a great actor.

Every character on this show seems like they barely tethered, about to explode or completely lose it.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling documentary which I found far deeper than I expected. It's in 2 parts.

I found Shandling's fake smile and whiny voice off-putting while he was alive, but I did appreciate his brilliance, especially in the Larry Sanders show, which is why I watched this documentary. It's worth checking out.