• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Should I buy this TV?

Vise

TRIBE Member
I'm considering picking up this TV for the bedroom at my new house (need something I can wall mount). It looks quite nice via HD and the price can't be beat. If you're gonna get it I'd recommend going to Pacific Mall and haggling for the best price, there are a bunch of computer places that have it for sale (as low as $1179 if I recall correctly) but I'm sure you could cut a deal.

You might also want to check out this Daytek from Costco. Price is similar but the specs are actually better (higher contrast ratio, lower response time). I haven't done all the research yet (don't move until the end of April) but I figure by that time I should be able to get a decent 32" LCD for around/under $1000.

ian

TRIBE Member
A friend just sent me this reply when I asked for his opinion:

"Ian, do not buy that TV. A 24ms response time is embarrassing now, that's like 3 generations ago. With a response time that slow, you will notice tracers when watching fast moving objects. The cheap LCD I bought last spring had a 8ms response and I think the new ones are down to 4ms. The other specs are OK but nothing great, you should be able to get a contrast ratio over 1200:1 in a cheap LCD. Buy comparison, the Samsung's are up to 3000:1."

Hmm. . . thoughts?

I don't want to spend too much money. . . .

Vise

TRIBE Member
He is right about the response time, 24ms is pretty terrible. Had no idea it was that bad. The Daytek I linked is 8ms which is much better... if you find a 32" LCD for around $1000 with a 4ms response time and contrast ratio over 1200:1 be sure to let me know. :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ian

TRIBE Member
I sent the same nerd the Daytek as above and he thought it looked excellent and was a good deal. Hmm. . .

Vise

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I think its a decent deal as well... I was originally considering the Daytek but figured I could save a few hundred (if not more) by cutting a deal on the Acer at Pac Mall. Given the specs on the Acer I'd definitely lean towards the Daytek right now.

As a heads up, I was at the Costco in Markham about 2 weeks ago and they didn't have the 32" Daytek... only the 40" version. Might have to look around to see where they have it in stock... or else order online.

ian

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the tips. If I get some cash back from my income tax, I'll be picking one of these up.

lobo

TRIBE Member
While not as cheap as the Acer you posted, the 32" Sharp Aquos is one of the best LCDs out there and has specs that are way better than the Acer. I picked one up for my dad last week at Future Shop and haggled the guy down to $1750 for it.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10065084&catid=#

Plus, for spending that much on a TV, I'd like to know that I can walk into a place and let someone know if there's a problem with it, even if I have to exchange it. Good luck trying to do something like that with Tiger Direct. I've heard horror stories about their return policies.

Lobo

ian

TRIBE Member
Dammit, Costco is all out of the TV! I could oreder it online but then I'd have to wait. ANyone who knows me knows that that is impossible. The Sharp above looks nice, but should I not be looking for a 8ms response time like the Daytek?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

octo

TRIBE Member
it's too bad you're intent on buying a tv that you can hang on a wall.

at $1199.99the Sony KV30HS420 will give you much better picture quality.

to get comparable performance from a flat panel display you'd have to spend almost triple the price, if not more

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Daytek has probably the best performing low priced LCD panels in Canada at the moment. I did a lot of reading and research on the off brand LCD panels over the past few months. My friend has the 32" Daytek. Great TV.

The question arrises of what you want it for though. If it's for regular TV watching, some sports, and movies, you'd be better off with a cheap Plasma or even the sony CRT above. They're lower resolution so they don't have to interpolate the signal as much (cleaner viewing results).

If you're interested in true HD, using it with a PC, or doing a lot of gaming then you'll want to lean towards LCD.

No matter what, a 32" Plasma/LCD/CRT can be had for around $1000 no problem.