• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Should I buy this TV Part II?

scott

TRIBE Member
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010061779&catid=

Since I'm not going away this year, I feel I owe myself a gift. Had to get rid of the 55" HD when I moved into a smaller place and going from having HD to not having it SUCKS. This sale lasts till tomorrow.

Samsung's TXR3079 30" Widescreen CRT HDTV is about 1/3 thinner than regular flat CRT televisions while offering true compatibility with progressive scan DVD players. It comes equipped with the Pro Picture technology, which converts all analog signals into an enhanced digital signal.Click Here for Special Delivery Shipping Policy More Info

WebID: 10061779
Mfr. Part Number: TX-R3079W/XAC
480i/480p 540p/960i 720p/1080i Capability Yes
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Built-In Protective Screen Shield No
Center Channel Input No
Channel Labeling Yes
Comb Filter Yes
Commercial Skip No
Component Video Inputs Yes
Digital Focus No
Display Type CRT
Dolby Digital Surround Sound Optical (Digital Out)
Fine Pitch Screen No
First Surface Mirror No
Front A/V Inputs/Outputs No
Front S-Video Inputs/Outputs No
HDTV Compatible Yes
Headphone Jack Info Not Available
Included In Box Manual, Remote, Batteries
Invar Shadow Mask Info Not Available
Language Options English, French, Spanish
Lenticular Screen No
Multi Sync Multi Source No
Parental Control Yes
Picture-In-Picture Yes
Product Dimensions 93.4(W) x 56.8(H) x 40.6(D) cm
Product Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour
Product Weight 54.5 kg
Progressive Scanning Yes
Rear A/V Inputs/Outputs Yes
Remote Control Type Multi
RF Inputs 2 Rear
Scan Velocity Modulation Universal
Screen Size 30"
Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes
Sound Logic Audio Leveler No
Speaker Output Jacks Yes
Speed Channel Surf No
Surround Sound No
TV Guide Plus No
Upconversion Technology No
Variable Audio Output Info Not Available
Vertical Compression Info Not Available
VGA/SVGA Inputs No
Video Input Labeling No
Watts Per Channel 10 Watts x 2
Wide Band Video Amplifier No

More Information

FEATURES:

100% Digital Signal Transfer Connection

Velocity Scan Modulation Improves Edge Detail

Pro Chip Plus Converts All Analog Signals Fo Flicker-Free Progressive Scan

Offers True Compatibility With Progressive Scan Multi Function Remote

**Requires HDTV Source

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

scott

TRIBE Member
I just read a bunch of reviews, most positive. Apparently there's some sort of "bend" in the bottom of the screen.

I've gotten conflicting stories though as far as what's better - LCD or CRT.

I've considered going with one of those no name LCD brands in the previous thread but I think I'd feel more comfortable in going with a big name.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

asdfqwerty

TRIBE Member
Anybody know anything about projectors? Somebody's selling this for $650 obo used (says s/he's turned it on twice):

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_12347253/127201.html

That's just a link to specs. I tried finding reviews online, but i couldn't find anything, and i can't be arsed to learn what good specs are for DLP projectors.

Dell's also having one of their sales, with different things going on sale each day this week, so maybe you can get something similar to that Samsung, except LCD

octo

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant said:
SolChild:

What is the best CRT unit on the market then? I'm going to be buying one very soon.

the 34" Sony KD-34XS955N (about $2600)- blows everything out of the water

there's also the KD-34XBR960 but i don't think it's available in Canada

next is the 34" KV-34HS420 - it has great picture quality but lacks the fine pitch of the XS or XBR, but it also costs a few hundred less. (about $2000)

for $1200 you can get the 30" KD-30HS420, which is comparable to the Samsung posted in this thread (but the sony is better IMO)

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
dont forget Toshiba's 30" & 34" 16x9 models, those are also great and prolly not as expensive as the Sonys. I think the 34" goes for about $1600-$1800. They both have component inputs as well as 2 HDMI inputs.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
octo said:
the 34" Sony KD-34XS955N (about $2600)- blows everything out of the water

there's also the KD-34XBR960 but i don't think it's available in Canada

next is the 34" KV-34HS420 - it has great picture quality but lacks the fine pitch of the XS or XBR, but it also costs a few hundred less. (about $2000)

for $1200 you can get the 30" KD-30HS420, which is comparable to the Samsung posted in this thread (but the sony is better IMO)

I have the KD-30HS420 and picture quality is awesome. HDMI (it does 1080i) input as well. Only drawback is the weight/size (compared to LCD/slim CRT's). If you have the room though, and don't need a huge screen, go for it. You should be able to find it cheaper than the $1200 Futureshop is selling it for.

scott

TRIBE Member
Well I bought the TV last night and it's really, really fucking cool. It's a "SlimFit" so it's 2/3's the size of a regular CRT. It actually looks like an LCD when you look at it straight on due to the design of it.

My "upconverting" HDMI Samsung DVD player compliments it nicely.

Pickin'up my HD box on Saturday.

This makes me :)

Anakin

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant said:
SolChild:

What is the best CRT unit on the market then? I'm going to be buying one very soon.

I just bought a 34" Toshiaba HD CRT. Are you looking for HD? Or are you just looking for a standard CRT?

HD CRTs are getting harder and harder to find. 34" is kinda the upper limit.

I love my 34", I got a sweet deal on the floor model at Best Buy for only $750.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
HD CRT.

I'm not sold on the premium paid for the newer technologies. Plus a 50" unit would look retarded in the room I'm putting it in. The viewing distance will be about 6 feet on average.

halo five

TRIBE Member
Buying a TV? That's crazy talk. Sneak into a fancy new condo buildings and raid the garbage rooms. People throw out perfectly good TVs all the time because they just bought an HD LCD Plasma S-Video MegaTrinitron Projection Laser Component 5.1 PIP model and their old one doesn't match their new DVD player.

And so much more satisfying than a trip to Future Shop! Reducing landfill + Free stuff = Warm and fuzzy.

I guess this post isn't directly at the OP but more at anyone looking for something fun to do on a Saturday morning :) Carry on.

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
any thoughts on this?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1699624&sku=S452-2602

Display Area 26"
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Contrast Ratio 1600:1
Resolution 1366 x 768
8ms Response time

Retails for $800, I can get it for about $600. Other than being hella small and having the 8ms response time.... I know shit all about TVs. Educate me!

s452-2602-call1-yc.jpg

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
S-PVA, eh? I've heard good things about the new Samsung PVA panels on a couple message boards (hardforum, anandtech), but would like to see how this stacks up alongside an S-IPS panel...

And what the fuck is Dynamic Contrast ratio actually mean to my eyes? Fuck.

(sorry, wish i could have some constructive info for you, but i don't)

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
b2c_l_hls7178w.jpg

Samsung
HL-S7178W 71" Widescreen DLP® HDTV with 1080p Resolution

Key Specs Built-in analog/digital tuner
Up to 10,000:1 contrast ratio
1920 x 1080 digital format converter <<<--- What does this mean?
3:2 pull down
No burn in
Slide show viewer
2 HDMI inputs
Game mode

1080p sets are finally here. Are they gonna live up to the hype?