• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Should I bother?

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Here's the scenario:

I'm walking into class yesterday and a guy who sits behind me notices the "I <3 TEKNO" pin I have on my bag. He can't read it so asks what it says. When I tell him, he physically recoils and makes a "kitty-smelled-a-stinky" kinda face.

Me: "Trust me dude, you have no idea what techno is. What do you think techno is?"

Him: "Gino beats."

I told him that's a popular misconception and reiterated that he has no idea what techno is, but that's not it.

My dilemma is that now I kinda want to burn a cd for him showing him what techno really is. Should I bother, and if I do, what mix would you recommend that shows techno off well? I'm thinking one of Trevor's mixes or maybe Oddmyth's "Dust In The Rain" or "Not In So Many Words".

The guy's a bit of a tool anyway, so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother. He probably listens to Creed.

derek

TRIBE Member
even better, burn him a cd with '80s miami freestyle, and tell him it's a compilation of the greatest techno ever.

:D

ktown

TRIBE Member
exhibitionist !!!

if you think he's worth your time
the way i am i'd loook him right in the face (make my scary face, roll my eyes) and say something like... "right... cause i look like a fkn gino don't i ? DUMBASS ? " hahaha

sorry . too much coffee . the second cup a block from my palce got high speed wireless internet, so i'm gonna live here now

what class you taking anyways ??

db

TRIBE Member
If you want to promote stereotypes of techno snobbery then don't bother, but if you truly love your music and want to encourage others to embrace it, sure burn him a CD or two unless the $1 in supplies is over budget...

biodork

TRIBE Member
my vte goes for richie hawtin live in barcelona from a few years ago (on his deck efx & 909 tour) THAT mix is fucking badass

seeker

TRIBE Member
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. Two guys I worked with thought that 'techno' was either Chemical Bros or ATB.

I made them a compilation CD with a bunch of songs on it, spanning all kinds of electronic music. It had some Orbital, Prodigy (Experience era), Moody Boys, Dillinja, some Platipus trance stuff, etc. My aim was to show them that 'Techno' is a diverse animal, and that it doesn't fit easily into one pigeonhole.

If you want to go the mixed set route, something with lots of different flavours is probably best. Not to slight any of the local guys (cuz we know you can all hold your own ;)), but my pick for this kind of mix would be Jim Master's Essential Mix from 1999. You guys have all heard me go off on that one before, but it covers everything: hard, soulful, Detroit, Swedish, German, UK, electro, house, straight-up techno... everything.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
my mixes are a little easier for folks outside the techno spectrum to swallow, however if you really want to show him the sound of machines, trevvy has that all down pat.

Hawtin in Barcelona is good, but kinda boring for someone who doesn't listen to 4/4 beats all day long.

odbx

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
but my pick for this kind of mix would be Jim Master's Essential Mix from 1999. You guys have all heard me go off on that one before, but it covers everything: hard, soulful, Detroit, Swedish, German, UK, electro, house, straight-up techno... everything.
Jim Masters Broadcasted on Sunday 19th December, 1999

Black Dog - "Merck" (Warp)
Rhythm Is Rhythm - "Strings Of Life" (Transmat)
Cyberton - "Clear" (Fantasy)
Optic Nerve - "Another World" (Direct Beat)
Sueno Latino - "Sueno Latino" (Creative)
Beltram - "Energy Flash" (Transmat)
69 - "Jam The Box" (Planet E)
Kraftwerk - "Tour De France" (white label)
Nightmares On Wax - "Dextrous" (Warp)
Rhythm Is Rhythm - "The Dance" (Transmat)
Planetary Assault Systems - "Booster" (Peacefrog)
E Dancer - "Pump The Move" (Kms)
Ron Trent - "Altered States" (white label)
DJ Deeon - "House O Matic" (Dancemania)
D B X - "Losing Control" (Peacefrog)
Domina - "Domina" (white label)
New Order - "Blue Monday" (Factory)
Vainquer - "Ploy" (white label)
Aphex Twin - "Polygon Window Quoth" (Warp)
Dave Clarke - "Red 1" (Bush)
Adam Beyer & Lenk - "Drumcode 1" (white label)
Speedy J - "Rise" (Plus 8 Music)
Ken Ishii - "Extra" (R&S Records)
Plastikman - "Spastik" (Plus 8)
Green Velvet - "Flash" (Open)
Joey Beltram - "Forklift" (Novamute)
Dj Funk - "# 1 Pump It" (Cosmos)
Jeff Mills - "Step To Enchantment" (Axis)
Patrick Pulsinger - "Citylights Pt I" (Disko B)
Dave Angel - "Rotation" (Rotation)
Octave One - "I Believe" (430 West)
Lil Louis - "Blackout" (Ffrr)
Robert Hood - "Moveable Parts" (M Plant)
Suburban Knight - "The Stalker (Edit)" (Transmat)
69 - "Rushed" (Planet E)
D X - "Houseshift" (Reflection Music)
Purpose Maker - "The Bells" (Purpose Maker)
Marco Carola - "Tang" (1000 Records)
Marco Carola - "Eternity" (Design)
Surgeon - "Magneze" (Downwards)
The Advent - "Bad Boy" (Internal)
Red Planet - "Star Dancer" (Red Planet)
Laurent Garnier - "Acid Eiffel" (Fragile)
Steve Rachmad Presents Scorpio - "Aqua Dance" (Fragile)
Slam - "Positive Education" (Soma)
Basic Channel - "Phylyps Trak I" (Basic Channel)
Knights Of The Jaguar - "Jaguar" (U R)
69 - "Desire" (Planet E)
Galaxy To Galaxy - "Hi Tech Jazz" (U R)
Jedi Knights - "Blaff Reader" (Clear

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't bother. The guy doesn't have a clue what Techno is he probably will not change his jadded perception after the fact. SO I think it might be a waste of time. You could give him a killer mix and he probably would reply "Yeah, that's the shit I'm talking about!......this stuff sucks."

Some people are so closed in when it comes to electronic music. Whatever is protrayed on the television is what the majority think comprises the whole genre.

But hey, if the result is good then that's one more converted to the dark side!

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
"HICKS will be HICKS"
It's all the same to those people.
Just pin a Confederate Flag to your bag next class and I bet you he will be your best friend!

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
Jim Master's Essential Mix from 1999. You guys have all heard me go off on that one before, but it covers everything: hard, soulful, Detroit, Swedish, German, UK, electro, house, straight-up techno... everything.
Yup you converted me on that one forever ago, sweet mix, definitely one for the ages.

odbx

patri©k

TRIBE Member
I say...

burn him the craziest Michael Jatas mix. Sharpee up the disc with the guy's name on it and surround it with the word 'techno' and little hearts.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patri©k
I say...

burn him the craziest Michael Jatas mix. Sharpee up the disc with the guy's name on it and surround it with the word 'techno' and little hearts.
HAHAHA.. it's like you read my mind. I was thinking of doing that. Well, except for the Sharpie part. ;)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
unless you are one of the so called " Chosen" who must educate ppl with techno I also say don't waste your time. Close minded people rarely want or will hear things in the right manner to begin with. Just take a look at the Raves that quickly changed soon as the Toronto Star started saying they are drug fests and nothing more. Of course that is when they became more or less about the drugs. Now if the person had said I would be interested in you showing me the music is something else other than the stereotype then I could see you doing something.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
Here's the scenario:

I'm walking into class yesterday and a guy who sits behind me notices the "I <3 TEKNO" pin I have on my bag. He can't read it so asks what it says. When I tell him, he physically recoils and makes a "kitty-smelled-a-stinky" kinda face.

Me: "Trust me dude, you have no idea what techno is. What do you think techno is?"

Him: "Gino beats."

I told him that's a popular misconception and reiterated that he has no idea what techno is, but that's not it.

My dilemma is that now I kinda want to burn a cd for him showing him what techno really is. Should I bother, and if I do, what mix would you recommend that shows techno off well? I'm thinking one of Trevor's mixes or maybe Oddmyth's "Dust In The Rain" or "Not In So Many Words".

The guy's a bit of a tool anyway, so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother. He probably listens to Creed.

This happens to me but with some girls at work or at school.

They listen to the stuff I listen to and they make assumption then I just make them an MD and see what they like.
You can't push stuff into people. I have come to notice that Way Out West is Looooooved by many girls who are into top-40 stuff. I can't really push the hacker or someone like the vitalic into anyone so I just go for the most soothing sound as possible. This is with girls.. guys .. I don't really give a fuck. You don't like it.. I don't care.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
I wish someone would have made me a cd when I was 16 and told me "this is real techno".

I was a product of the "gino beats" mentality. WE CAN BE CONVERTED.

I blame aqua, and euro-shit for the problem.

HELP HIM!

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
some close-minded opinions here.....give him a mix or two - it can't hurt....some derrick may or JM liquid room or plastikman's mixmag...