• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Should a guy pay for a woman on a date?

Old Stradlater

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
it has nothing to do with romance - his wife is a grown woman, and he's treating her like one.

Considering she is the one who is going to have to split her vagina wide open to deliver his child, I think she deserves a free meal.

Old Stradlater

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kate
I did however get a pimpin anniversary dinner where I got treated like a total princess and I thought that was a pretty awesome act of chivalry!
See that's wonderful. But this guy from the beginning of the thread would probably say that makes you a gold digger, and that your boyfriend is a caveman and that you should have split the bill.

All this thread was really meant to do was confirm that guy was an asshole.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Resolver
I was on a date last year with a fine lady. We went out to an Italian restaurant and after the dinner was finished I willingly offered to pay. She refused to let me pay which kind of stunned me a bit. I offered to pay again and she pulled the bill away from me and demanded that she payed. We had to come to an agreement that as long as she's paying for the dinner, I'll pay for the movie.
you gotta go back to 2004 for dating analogies eh matt? dizzam!

kuba

TRIBE Member
if you need a thread to confirm he's an asshole then how the fuck do you get up and manage to know what side is the front side of the panties you wear, mr stratedler?

artemis

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chaos
Certainly, being nice is not sexist, that's not what I intended to convey.

I meant to say there are better ways of professing your love than screwing in a fucking light bulb.

If the 'loving' aspects of a relationship involve moving boxes and fixing leaks, well, that's a sad state.

As for squishing spiders, that's cool. :D

Anyway, if you take everything Old S. say's in context, it seems to me he's implying that his ways of showing "love" (and getting some) involve cash money and manual labour. Sad.

p.s. i never said anything about focing a girl to do anything, you should learn to read a bit better, or maybe you need a man to do it for you?
:D
yeah...can you come over here?? ;) there's also a really mean looking spider on my monitor oh oh

and agreed about love - there are many different ways to express it other than lightbulbs and paying for dinner.

but i do believe that lightbulbs and dinner can be a part of that expression, in both female and male parties. certainly not necessary, but useful

sorry also about using the word 'force' as it seems to have given you the wrong impression.

mainly i meant that you've expressed a lack of desire to assist the girl in that manner as an expression of love, therefore causing the girl to have to do it herself all the time. i do think that's crap because people should help each other, especially in a romantic relationship

Old Stradlater

TRIBE Member
"Anyway, if you take everything Old S. say's in context, it seems to me he's implying that his ways of showing "love" (and getting some) involve cash money and manual labour. Sad."

That's not what I said at all. I said I don't think there's anything wrong with the chivalry of wanting to pay for your girls dinner, or wanting to help her fix a lightbulb and it doesn't mean you are sexist or that she is a mooch.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Myabe not for a first date, but it's not a bad date.

Go for drinks before movie, see movie, have shit to talk about after movie.

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by alexd
it is so refreshing when a girl whips out the cash or visa and insists on paying on a date.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Polymorph
agreed

and you will probably get laid.

UMMMM no, girl paying before you get her in the sac is all kinds of bad. It means you probably won't get laid

She'll go to bed with you not only because she's attracted to you but also as a "reward" or "to show a little appreciation" for you picking up the tab.

If she pays date is over as soon as you leave the restaurant, she's paid because she wants out and doesn't want to feel like she owes you anything.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dicksherwood

UMMMM no, girl paying before you get her in the sac is all kinds of bad. It means you probably won't get laid

She'll go to bed with you not only because she's attracted to you but also as a "reward" or "to show a little appreciation" for you picking up the tab.

If she pays date is over as soon as you leave the restaurant, she's paid because she wants out and doesn't want to feel like she owes you anything.
ding ding ding! we HAVE a winner!
neanderthal of the year!

artemis

TRIBE Member
quote:
it is so refreshing when a girl whips out the cash or visa and insists on paying on a date.

umm. NO

artemis

TRIBE Member
nothing neanderthal about it...just the way it is.
i find in life that one is often able to validate whatever philosophy they have chosen.

so if you actually believe this (and i really feel sorry for you if you do) then you are probably choosing to date girls who are actually like that, OR are completely dillusional while the girl is actually sleeping with you because she genuingely likes you

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
quote:

ummm no. The scenario is more like this.... when the girl offers to pay with 'that type' of impulse...(it's all nuance, dude, put yourself in the moment), then you say, well, "ok, look, I've got a nice bottle of wine at my place, (the reciprocal action), if you'd like to extend this excellent conversation...."

If she says yes (which she will)...

winner.

of course the scenario could go your way. Hey, if she's sitting right across the table from you, you should be able to read which way it's going...

Last edited:

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Old Stradlater
Considering she is the one who is going to have to split her vagina wide open to deliver his child, I think she deserves a free meal.
*gasp*

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Agent Smith
Applying rules to things as unique as human relationships is fucking retarded.
A-FUCKING-MEN TO THAT!

each situation is unique and people should do what feels right for them, in that moment.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Polymorph
then you say, well, "ok, look, I've got a nice bottle of wine at my place
how about "i've got some ice-cold forty's at my house"?

would that work aswell?

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by artemis
i find in life that one is often able to validate whatever philosophy they have chosen.

so if you actually believe this (and i really feel sorry for you if you do) then you are probably choosing to date girls who are actually like that, OR are completely dillusional while the girl is actually sleeping with you because she genuingely likes you
Don't feel badly for me, life's lookin pretty good from my vantage point.

From experience it looks something like this. Guy pays it's a date, therefore there is the possibility of extracurricular activities. Girl pays she's letting the guy know this is no longer a date, maybe friends or the girl has decided at some point she's not interested and does not want to create any expectations that MAY go along with it being a date.

It's obvious. Both scenarios have happened to me. If you have a even a small amount of tact and social awareness you pick up on these things.

defazman

TRIBE Member
of course it's always different in each situation

unless you're taking out mingster, then you best be buying her a nice bottle of wine and some lobster.