1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Should a guy pay for a woman on a date?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Old Stradlater, Oct 7, 2005.

1. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

Seriously, I'd like to buy you a drink or 10.

2. afterglow

afterglow TRIBE Member

It depends on who asked for the date. If I've asked them to go out, I'll expect that I am paying. If they've asked, I generally expect that they are going to pay but I will bring money with me to split the bill - just in case.

3. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

ha

and that bathroom trick is always a winner

4. erikadoor

erikadoor TRIBE Member

Whoever makes the offer for whatever, pays. Whoever gets to the door first opens it for the other person.

If it ever gets to the point where you wait for the other person to offer so you don't have to cover it, stop seeing them. It's all about doing things for people that you care about/are interested in. A lack of desire to treat the other person as you wish to be treated indicates that you're an asshole and should find someone you want to treat well.

In the event a friend/interest leaves their wallet at home, underestimates the amount/etc..., the other person should cover under the assumption they are exempt from covering the next get-together.

If one person constantly does the asking, then do a every-other-time arrangement or just go by whoever picks the activities....and if you don't discuss how this shit is going to be handled beforehand, then grow up and learn how to discuss money like an adult.

5. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

I really don't see why being nice is being sexist? I'd help my guy with fixing and moving shit too!

Feminism is simply the acceptance of the idea that women are CAPABLE of doing things for themselves, not forcing the girl to do it all...

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

Applying rules to things as unique as human relationships is fucking retarded.

7. erikadoor

erikadoor TRIBE Member

Expecting unique people to know what to do while involved with other unique people without guidelines is fucking retarded.

8. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Well, cristal likes having me around for screw-top removal and spider squishing.. If I recall correctly (and I might not be - I was half in the can at the time) it was part of our vows.

:D

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

That's why we evolved to communicate with each other long ago.

10. erikadoor

erikadoor TRIBE Member

So how are you refuting my point exactly?

Communication to establish guidelines for further communications/interactions.

I'm damn well certain there are things you don't say/do around your girl.

11. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Old Stradlater gets walked all over.

12. Agent Smith

Agent Smith TRIBE Member

I'm refuting your point because I think guidelines are established between communicating parties. I don't think there are higher standards that should be applied to all parties (with the exception of the obvious 10 commandments bullshit).

Also, the mrs. and I are gonna be in Chicago, and you said you might have suggestions on what to do. We're all ears!

Edit: FYI, I'm a guy who pays for everything. I'm old-fashioned that way. It even makes me uncomfortable if the girl pays a small portion. But I don't think other arrangements are any better or worse, they're just different.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  13. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

I always pay on the first date.

will try to on most dates... but if the other person insists on paying to get me back for a previous one.. I'm not going to argue ;)

14. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

it is so refreshing when a girl whips out the cash or visa and insists on paying on a date.

15. Muad'ib

Muad'ib Well-Known TRIBEr

I pretty much always pay, not because I feel as though I have to or because I want something out of the girl but because it is easy to do and it simplifies the night. If she wants to buy drinks or something or pay for a movie (not that I ever go on movie dates or dates at all for that matter) then that is cool too. I just want to have fun and I don't think that money should really be an issue if it is someone that you like, I will happily hand over the cash if it means hanging out with someone who I think is awesome.

16. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

haha

17. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

If you want to get laid, yes.

18. Chaos

Chaos TRIBE Member

Certainly, being nice is not sexist, that's not what I intended to convey.

I meant to say there are better ways of professing your love than screwing in a fucking light bulb.

If the 'loving' aspects of a relationship involve moving boxes and fixing leaks, well, that's a sad state.

As for squishing spiders, that's cool. :D

Anyway, if you take everything Old S. say's in context, it seems to me he's implying that his ways of showing "love" (and getting some) involve cash money and manual labour. Sad.

p.s. i never said anything about focing a girl to do anything, you should learn to read a bit better, or maybe you need a man to do it for you?
    :D

19. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

looooooooool

20. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

agreed

and you will probably get laid.

21. Resolver

Resolver TRIBE Member

I was on a date last year with a fine lady. We went out to an Italian restaurant and after the dinner was finished I willingly offered to pay. She refused to let me pay which kind of stunned me a bit. I offered to pay again and she pulled the bill away from me and demanded that she payed. We had to come to an agreement that as long as she's paying for the dinner, I'll pay for the movie.

22. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

movies suck as a date....means u have nothing to say to one another

23. kate

kate TRIBE Member

I like what Ali said best.

A little romance should be gained, a little cheapo crap lost.

I always pay for brunch on sunday's becasue I have worked on Saturday night and have a wack of cash. The first few months of my relationship my boyfriend would not let me pay for ANYTHING because he likes taking care of me. When you live together its kind of a different story but we just do nice stuff for eachother whenever we feel like it like dinner or dates or whatever and everyone's happy. I did however get a pimpin anniversary dinner where I got treated like a total princess and I thought that was a pretty awesome act of chivalry!

24. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Just do a system where whoever pays gets to have an extra orgasm at the end of the night.

It helps keep the balance.

25. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

^ you get a lot of free dinners?