• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shooting @ G-Spot

depraved

TRIBE Member
Man shot dead at downtown nightclub
Monday, December 22, 2003

TORONTO -- A shooting at a downtown nightclub early Monday morning resulted in the death of one man and a mad dash by hundreds of club-goers to escape danger.

The 24-year-old man was killed in a flurry of gunfire. He became Toronto's 62nd homicide victim this year after being rushed to hospital, police said, adding that they were looking for witnesses in an attempt to track down anyone involved in the shooting.

A post-mortem on the man -- whose identity was being withheld until his family was notified -- was scheduled for Tuesday.

The shooting at the G-Spot Nightclub in the heart of Toronto's entertainment district occurred about 2:20 a.m.

Police were called after gunfire broke out in the trendy hotspot, which covers three floors and attracts as many as 1,000 club-goers on a regular weekend.

Det. Greg Grove said between 500 and 700 people were at the club during the shooting. He appealed to anyone who may have been in the club or who had contact with the male victim to call the homicide squad.

© Copyright 2003 Canadian Press

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

JAR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut
I wonder if the mixture of alcohol and cocaine had anything to do with the shooting?
or the mixture of hip-hop/thug culture and macho bravado?

AshG

Originally posted by JAR
or the mixture of hip-hop/thug culture and macho bravado?
you know how we do...

on a more serious note, yeah that kind of culture can embrace more violence than some others, but i'd guess its probably more a case of stupidity(in whatever cultural context) reigning supreme.

and as for that, i'd say that the gspot attracts more idiots than other places i can think of.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
RIP.

strangely, although i am aware that people get shot at nightclubs, i dont really fear for my life when i go out (granted, i basically never go to the clubs where this violence occurs, but its all within a very close proximity).
do you guys think that it is becoming too dangerous to go clubbing now?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
sorry...i sorta left out my main point in my last post.

now that gunplay seems to be occurring more frequently, it seriously increases the chances that innocent bystanders (or in this case, patrons) could be seriously injured or killed when fights break out.

and in that regard, do you think that these clubland shootings can be traced back to previous grudges or gang activity, or are they just as random as any other run-of-the-mill clubland violence?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I saw this on the news last night. They actually showed people running out, pretty crazy stuff. You might be able to find the video on the cp24 website.

JAR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SneakyPete
I saw this on the news last night. They actually showed people running out, pretty crazy stuff. You might be able to find the video on the cp24 website.
I realize that someone getting shot and killed is nothing to laugh at, but I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the site of the hoochie club girls running out the door in their giangantic heels and revealing outfits.

RIP.

DjCao

TRIBE Member
i use to pass by on thursday and sunday nights, and around joker & G spot is always the same on those nights...guys trying to pick up girls, bothering the ones that just pass by, yelling loud and braving to anyone, etc....Is always on Hip hop nights...i'm not against hip hop or anything, just the ambience that generates....
about shootings on comfort zone or others...i really doubt it...cause is not like that...

IMO

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Detective Greg Groves was quoted in the Toronto Sun saying "All I'm certain of right now is there's at least one shooter, possibly two."

That's a brilliant deduction Detective.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits

do you guys think that it is becoming too dangerous to go clubbing now?
I do think about it from time to time... I don't like being in the vicinity of something like this.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
i'm not even really sure... it could just be that the media is spinning it that way.
It's not. Last year's murder total was 61 (I think). This year we are at about the same with 62 (but there is still a solid week left in the year to bump that number up).

I never worry about getting shot at clubs. Most of these people have a resaon as to why they were shot. Possibly drug related, or it is a revenge murder, cheating on a BF/GF, gang-related retaliation, etc. They are not random incidents where the shooter will walk up to a random person and pull the trigger.

Cheers ... Ian :)

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Soundstream
Most of these people have a resaon as to why they were shot. Possibly drug related, or it is a revenge murder, cheating on a BF/GF, gang-related retaliation, etc.
And they will happen in clubs occasionally. Mere happenstance.

Happenstance is a word that is not used often enough, methinks. Forsooth.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
They are not random incidents where the shooter will walk up to a random person and pull the trigger.

I don't think anyone thinks that. I think people are more concerned with getting caught in the crossfire

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
yeah, i guess it just scares me that someone evening a score or getting revenge on someone could end up killing a completely unrelated patron with a stray bullet.