• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shooting at Munich shopping center, multiple deaths reported

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Feeling like I'm channeling JamesM with multiple posts, so please pardon the rapid updates..

- Police requests people to stay away and indoors
- Attacker may have escaped to public transportation system
- Unconfirmed reports of another shooting at a subway station
- Reports of deaths range from 1 to 15 at this point, according to different German media organizations.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
- First reports came in around 17:30 CET.
- Multiple attackers reported, police described this as a "rampage" according to BBC.
- Shooting at another subway station is being denied according to BBC.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Ugggghhhhh fucking people with nothing better to do than hurt other people.

There is no appropriate term fro what i want to call them compared to what they are.

praktik

TRIBE Member
If you are making fun of the idea that gun control would prevent all gun violence or all incidents of mass violence then you are not actually engaging with the rationale for strong gun control - the idea isn't that all violence is prevented or that all incidents of mass violence is prevented.

The idea is that strong, prudent gun control reduces the mortality related with violent use of firearms since, on the whole, stronger gun control restricts the availability of firearms in general and the most potent in particular. This means that when violence occurs, it occurs with less overall mortality (suicide attempts are less successful, same with homicide - on the whole, not entirely)

Recall also that suicide is by far responsible for most deaths by firearms, so pointing to instances of homicide (rarer) and mass violence (rarer still) as reason to consider gun control measures futile you are already missing the point.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
So looks like this kid was more Columbine than ISIS eh?

A different, more local form of terror - the revenge of the bullied in a small high school world.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Seems so, though the backlash in EU will still hit immigrant families and refugees the most. Followed by legal gun owners I imagine. Apparently he had an Afghan refugee friend who he told details to in advance but his friend did not report him. More fuel in that fire.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
No no, we simply need everyone to register with legally authenticated identification when using the Internet. Must keep e-commerce running!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

wickedken

TRIBE Member
If you are making fun of the idea that gun control would prevent all gun violence or all incidents of mass violence then you are not actually engaging with the rationale for strong gun control - the idea isn't that all violence is prevented or that all incidents of mass violence is prevented.

The idea is that strong, prudent gun control reduces the mortality related with violent use of firearms since, on the whole, stronger gun control restricts the availability of firearms in general and the most potent in particular. This means that when violence occurs, it occurs with less overall mortality (suicide attempts are less successful, same with homicide - on the whole, not entirely)

Recall also that suicide is by far responsible for most deaths by firearms, so pointing to instances of homicide (rarer) and mass violence (rarer still) as reason to consider gun control measures futile you are already missing the point.
Well thanks for making your POV known but I wasn't making fun. I take it you are for gun control?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
No no, we simply need everyone to register with legally authenticated identification when using the Internet. Must keep e-commerce running!
shhhhhh! don't put ideas out there. we're probably less than five years away from verified identities when going online, but try to keep it for as long as possible.

praktik

TRIBE Member
... And yes, I support policies that reduce human mortality since I am something of a utilitarian at heart.

Most happiness for the most people you can get - if that means strict gun control so suicide and homicide attempts are less successful then so be it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I thought this remark was poking fun at gun control since a shooting incident happened
I should clarify... Germans have gun control, I think it makes sense and does exactly what you suggest ("so suicide and homicide attempts are less successful "), but it didn't help in this case, and it won't help in those cases where people decide to break the law.

i.e. it's not the panacea that always gets suggested when some shit goes down in America.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I should clarify... Germans have gun control, I think it makes sense and does exactly what you suggest ("so suicide and homicide attempts are less successful "), but it didn't help in this case, and it won't help in those cases where people decide to break the law.

i.e. it's not the panacea that always gets suggested when some shit goes down in America.
Ya thats my point - and that is the true position of gun control advocates - that we reduce overall mortality, not that all incidents of violence with guns go away as this is a utopian and impossible goal. So if one is arguing against gun control, pick this position to argue against, not the utopian one - since real gun control is not grounded in the utopian goal but more the pragmatic goal of reducing overall mortality across society from suicide and homicide attempts.