• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shoot-outs in hockey?!

Da grunj

TRIBE Member
Personally I think they SUCK! Its just not "HOCKEY" to me.

I would rather see a tie, well I would rather see them play sudden death, but its not realistic in the regular season. Its like the hockey game (team sport with 20ish guys on each side) ends, and a completely different game (a singles match begins).

I will not accept winning or loosing because of a shoot out. Not that my "single" view matters anywayz.

GRj

Colm

TRIBE Member
I agree.

Penalty shootouts prove how banal hockey has become to our American cousins. Years of big, unskilled brutes dominating the league because of increased defensive zones and rule tinkering have driven away the American sport purist. At least the crusties who run the NHL have recognized that.

The MLS had shoot-outs at the end of every drawn game a few years back. Sure, the first few occassions brought some extra interest and excitement, but it was always pretty clear that it was a marketing ploy to attract the fence sitting fan and thus was scrapped after one (maybe two) seasons. Its important to note its utter and complete failure to attract fans - actually, the fans came when the MLS adopted the European approach to soccer and embraced the ubiquitous 2-1 scoreline.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Colm, I think you hit the nail on the head.

A couple seasons of this 'new NHL' and you will see them go back to the tried and true.

They are even putting the two line pass back into the game in Europe because hockey over there has become dull and boring.

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
if people actually looked at it probably they would realize it is great idea, and keeps to the traditional sense of hockey

i dunno how many times as a kid, we had shootouts, its one of the greatest moments in the game, if not probably the greatest moment in sports

these ties and points given the past few years sucked. Look at the leafs last season, they lost top spot because boston had more points, yet, fewer wins than the leafs, but because they received more points because of ties, the leafs were screwed

bring on shootouts

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglisthead
if people actually looked at it probably they would realize it is great idea, and keeps to the traditional sense of hockey

i dunno how many times as a kid, we had shootouts, its one of the greatest moments in the game, if not probably the greatest moment in sports

these ties and points given the past few years sucked. Look at the leafs last season, they lost top spot because boston had more points, yet, fewer wins than the leafs, but because they received more points because of ties, the leafs were screwed

bring on shootouts

I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE EVEN IF YOU REACHED IN MY MOUTH AND PULLED THE WORDS OUT WITH A HOOK

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
I like the change, but will re-evaluate my like of it in 5 years. I think the shoot-out/penalty shot is the most exciting play in hockey. It's more tense and nerve racking cause it requires patience. It's a one-on-one opp between the goalie and the shooter.

At least for goalie's sakes, goals scored on shoot-outs won't count towards their GAA or SV %.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
I saw a Carolina/Atlanta preseason game when I was in NC. They had a shootout just for the hell of it at the end. The crowd seemed to like it a lot. I for one like the new rules. I'm not a hockey fan, mostly because of Toronto and their shitty "Dump the puck and chase" game that they're still trying to play in the preseason. This game I saw however ended up 5-4 final score and THEN the shootout happened. The game is faster now, and can hold the interest of the casual fan as there's more scoring. I'd actually love to see a comparison of the goals per game from 03 and this season.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Have you seen JS Giguere or Garth Snow this year?

They look funny without their super huge gear on. Oddly enough Brodeur looks exactly the same as he did in 2003.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
They had a shootout just for the hell of it at the end. The crowd seemed to like it a lot.

I think they had a shootout at the end of every preseason game, regardless of the score. It was designed to help players and coaches feel out the concept before the regular season

Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
I'd actually love to see a comparison of the goals per game from 03 and this season.

You'll probably see such a comparison on an almost daily basis.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Colm

TRIBE Member
Its a gimmick & it'll get old quickly.

The NHL managed to get by for decades without OTWs, OTLs & mandatory shoot-outs. The draws became a complete bore because they were 1-1, 2-2 scorelines, which has more to do with post-1990 rule changes than anything else.

European football introduced a brilliant change in the mid-1980s. 3 points were given for a win rather than two. Teams were henceforth given extra incentive for attacking.

But the shrinking of goalie pads is wonderful news. The rare hilites Ive remind me of days past, when hockey was entertaining.

PS - I think the Leafs are screwed. The rule changes have made Pat Quinn's tactics highly redundant.

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Colm

PS - I think the Leafs are screwed. The rule changes have made Pat Quinn's tactics highly redundant.

funny quinn was the only coach preaching run and gun style, while every other coach tried the trap

quinn still believes in run and gun style, and these rule changes will benefit greatly for the leafs, as this might stop the trap from occuring

as for dumping it, that is the only way to play against teams that use the trap

last nights game was a prime example of what type of game the leafs will be playing this year