1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Shona Tova!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Chris, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Have a great one, I had no idea the fast included no water, my god, hardcore!

Anyway, Shona Tova!

2. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

shana tova everyone, party like it's 5771

3. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

chris, the fast is next week, on Yom Kippur!
    Rosh Hashanah is one of the few holidays which has no food restrictions. it is a total eat-down. hence why i love it so much!
    going to shul on high holidays has gotten to be fun in a whole new way...now i get to see all my old friends with their new babies, and show off my new 6 month old niece. and my niece was a perfect angel during the Amidah...not a peep out of her. i had a blast this morning. :) it's good to go and hear the shofar once a year, ya know?

shana tova everyone. have a happy and sweet new year!

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

crap, got it all wrong, my friend at work is part of the "Tribe" and we, as in me, play quite a few jokes at her expense. For some reason I thought the fast was this week, my bad.

Now lets talk about tasty food! Whats on the agenda cutie Booty Bits?

5. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

mmmm fooooood...every day there are big fresh round braided challahs (some with raisins, some plain) as well as apple slices dipped in honey.

then there are the big meals. the first night was homemade gefilte fish with horseradish and a grilled eggplant salad for appetizers, then for dinner there was a rib roast, an israeli couscous with butternut squash sidedish, and some cod/potato/tomato dish. for dessert we had apple cake (very traditional!) and a fruit plate.
    yesterday for lunch was tabouleh and gefilte fish for apps, then squash and apple soup, then roasted chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, beets and onions and a pickle plate. for dessert we had my family's very traditional fruit compote paired with a cardamom flavoured apple sauce, then chocolate cake and plum cake.

tonight is dinner at the house of my aunt who is an incredible cook. all i know is that there will be brisket and some crazy momofuku-inspired cake - it's called crack pie?? i'll report back. :)

aaaah i love food and fall and family. that is why i love rosh hashanah!