1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

shitty drivers

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mr chris, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mr chris

mr chris TRIBE Member

2. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

I got my G2 in Sarnia, and passed my G there as well. I would drive to and from Toronto (or Detroit) very often for concerts, parties etc, and I don't think taking your test in a smaller town has anything to do with how good of a driver you are in Toronto. Either you can drive, or you can't. The fear of failing a Toronto road test is just that, fear. With enough practice you can pass a Toronto road test. If given the test in Toronto, I don't think I would have failed. The only part I failed was parallel parking (after practicing and doing it perfectly at home for months), and I would have probably failed it in Toronto too.

3. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

shit i know that the oshawa drive test center was one of the worst for failing people.

I remember kids in highschool would go up to lindsay and out near kingston in order to get their license.

Not one kid at my highschool that i can remember ever passed their G2 test on the first try in oshawa. Including me. I got it on the 2nd try like everyone else.

4. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I find the farther you get from the city, the better the drivers tend to be anyhow.

Also, I got my driver's license in Oshawa on the first try. That was before this whole graduated thing, but i assume the test is the same.

5. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Got mine in Oshawa too...1st try....from the stone lady.

Other peeps in my high school were not so fortunate.

6. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

What school did you go to solacevip? Courtice 87-93 here.

7. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

8. mr chris

mr chris TRIBE Member

i find vaughan really bad... signals are meaningless, stop signs/red lights are just suggestions, home of the left lane right hand turn, lots of truck balls and ferrari stickers on shitty cars, road rage galore...

9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

THIS.

Failed the first Oshawa test too. Fucking Dragon Lady.

Passed the second time with the Instructor guy offering tips...

10. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

I did the test in a real small town. I didn't read the drivers book and tried to cheat off my buddy beside me only to find out later the questions were random on each test. Still passed that with the maximum # of errors.
    Then I failed the driving test cause I still hadn't read the book and didn't know which way to turn the wheel on a hill. Also didn't help when he asked me to put on the parking break and I said "there is no parking break". (wtf why my parents let me go with that!?)
    So I read the book before the next driving test. I drove around the block making 2 left turns and parked it back in the lot. Passed. lol. Pretty easy.

Imo it's in the best interest that Toronto drivers take the test in Toronto. It's a huge difference driving in this city than a small town. Only experience can prepare you and it would be optimal for drivers to get that experience with someone in the passenger seat helping them before testing.
    I drove for 5 years before hitting Toronto and I was shitting bricks when I got on the 401 rush hour (although I may have been on shrooms at the time). In that same day I was driving down Richmond st. the wrong way, and almost ran over a pedestrian at a light. My gf when I moved here lived in North York and would drive finch all the way to Markham rather than the 401 cause she was scared to drive it. That seems absurd to me, but just shows you some people are not prepared to drive on those roads.

I now consider myself a professional driver and this is why I lobbied against the cell phone ban.

11. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

the corner of hwy 7 and jane ( at 4 pm ) is ripe full of the most ignorant and idiotic drivers i think i've ever seen.

12. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

I wish driver's licenses in Canada was like Germany. In Germany, it's 3500 euros (roughly 5200 CAD) to get your driver's and they sure as shit don't make it easy for you.

You have to pretty much memorize this HUGE fuckoff manual about the mechanics on a car and essentially have to be capable to change the spark plugs and oil yourself. Then the driver's road test portion of it is 2 hours. Everybody fails their first time. Everybody.

To re-take the road test, it's 500 euros (750 CAD). To re-take the written, it's 300 EUR. The difference from the 3500 EUR goes to the state.

Funny part is that Canadian drivers can go to Germany and swap their driver's licenses straight across the board for a 100 euro fee (translation and processing fees). No justice in that part.

13. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

my first time taking my test i had a scottish guy with so thick of an accent he sounded like groundskeeper willy times like a brazillion

literally couldnt understand a thing he said

14. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

I'm getting to my wits end. It is unbelievable how many people cruse about 20 km/h through a stop sign in town, HOPING that no one is coming the NON STOP sign way. I had to wave through (with a sarcstic wave) a person 3 times so far today. Also the classic move in the country, where I'm cruising at about 90 km/h and someone decides its cool not to stop, and they cut me off, then proceed to turn left into the next driveway. Assclowns. Also classic is the speed up to 90/100 when its clear to pass, then when traffic is coming the other way, decide its a good idea to slow down to 70. Ultra-Assclown! :mad:

15. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Yep, same in Romania.
    Plus you are pretty much guaranteed you have to drive standard and the test is fucking tough - 1 hour in this driving park where you have to park your car on hills that are like almost 90% and so unrealistic and then second hour is road test portion.
    The costs are also ridiculous as well.

16. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

try hanging out around adelaide and spadina.. all the laws of driving go straight out the window!

it's the only place where the southbound traffic can supposedly, legally just sit in the middle of the intersection blocking east/west on their green.. light after light. Our window is like overlooking that intersection. so it's pretty much angry people on their horns all day..

17. kmsmith

kmsmith TRIBE Member

qft

18. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

Just saying 'Brampton' should pretty much end this thread.

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

ha! i got mine in oshawa too. first try. long before graduated licensing though.

20. mudbunny

mudbunny TRIBE Member

I'll say 1) Woodbridge 2) Bolton... Brampton is bad too

21. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

The Chinese.

Jay

22. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Imagine no one in their cars ever looked anywhere except straight ahead.

And checking your blind spot is something that simply doesn't get taught because that's what mirrors are for.

Also, a huge number of people don't see the need for using headlights.

Now you're driving in Korea.

I've heard the Chinese are worse. I'll get back to you on that.

23. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Driver's license - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some neato info there.

Such as:

Egypt

Egyptian citizens are entitled to a driver's license once they have reached the age of 18. To obtain their licenses, applicants must pass a driving test as well as several computer tests.

In order to pass, all a person had to do was drive six meters forward and then reverse six meters. However, the test was updated to make it more difficult, now the applicant has to answer 8 out of 10 correct answers in a computer test, then pass a forward & reverse S-track test in addition to an assessment of parking skills.