• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shirt Printing Part 2

Karim

TRIBE Member
So I've been looking at alot of magazines, and thinking of what I like in terms of fashion these days. I really really really like button down shirts with prints on them. Not a pattern, but a print like a t-shirt going across the front.

My buddy got a really cool one from 4YOU that has caligraphy type text over the front, going across the buttons and all.

I have a few old dress shirts that I'd love to spoof up myself.

I like a distressed print on the shirt, almost like spraypaint, if I have a stencil, I wanna figure out if there's a paint I can buy to spray through the stencil and onto the shirt. I'd be using a cardboard stencil. I just need to figure out what kinda paint to use and what to use to spray it.

I figure the paint that they use for actual silk screening would be good, but is it thin enough to put in a spray bottle?

Thanks

:)
Karim
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Fabric paint. It settles without going beneath the surface of the fabric. So it doesn't run between the threads once you spray it.

I have one of Frank Zappa on a great zip up dress-shirt. It's a great way to update something you don't wear much anymore.

BUT BEWARE. It is REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY trendy right now to the point where no one is thinking about substance. They're just spraying all kinds of shit all over the place and it's looking sooooo bad.

I want the 4You shirt with the Chinese flowers. You'd totally dig it, Karim.
 

smile

TRIBE Member
regular spraypaint will work fine, just remember to go very lightly with the paint and let it dry, if it's too light, do it lightly again. the key is to do it gradually, so that you don't saturate the fabric and make the paint bleed out of the stencil. keep doing light "coats" until you reach the desired level of colour.

and remember to put something inside the shirt so the paint doesnt soak onto the other side of the shirt.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Not using the center of the spray will work too where most of the ink is the most concentrated.

Use the edge of the spray.. Like doing shading in Photoshop.
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Karim

TRIBE Member
can you get fabric paint in a spray can?

I'm gonna experiment a bit with the regular spraypaint before I put it up to a shirt.

I hate the abstract patterns on prints. I want actual coherent words or phrases.

:)
Karim
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Karim
can you get fabric paint in a spray can?

I'm gonna experiment a bit with the regular spraypaint before I put it up to a shirt.

I hate the abstract patterns on prints. I want actual coherent words or phrases.

:)
Karim
Don't know but you can put paint in a spritzer???

I would ask Lewiscraft. They sold me really good fabric paint once.
And some places like art stores will have silkscreen inks that are made for use with fabric.
 

smile

TRIBE Member
buy a cheap airbrush?

you could buy a cheap airbrush for like $20 and just rent a small air compressor.

or if you'e really cheap, you could use compressed air cans.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
That's true. Since airbrushing has been rendered obsolete because of Quark Xpress and Adobe, I've been seeing kits for really cheap.

One problem, NOT easy to use. Takes time and practice. I did airbrushing for years to perfect it. Only to never use it again in the art world. Ha.

I wanna spray stuff too, Karim. Let's have a spraying party... er...

Or not..
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Funzo

TRIBE Member
We went out for ahllowe'en as the "Clitoris Consultants" (Don't ask) but we bought suits from Value Village and psray painted hot pink Volcom and DC logos all over them. Just be sure you do a few coats, or it won't show up as good! Spray panting clothes is the new tie-dye!
 

Funzo

TRIBE Member
That shirt has been working wonders* on the home front!

*wonders = me almost getting my ass kicked veryday I wear it :D I still love it though!
 

Karim

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
That's true. Since airbrushing has been rendered obsolete because of Quark Xpress and Adobe, I've been seeing kits for really cheap.

One problem, NOT easy to use. Takes time and practice. I did airbrushing for years to perfect it. Only to never use it again in the art world. Ha.

I wanna spray stuff too, Karim. Let's have a spraying party... er...

Or not..
Sure, but we can ONLY spray paint. Nothing else. Comprende?

:)
Karim
 
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Karim
Sure, but we can ONLY spray paint. Nothing else. Comprende?

Ooooooooh, so sorwy. NO speak-ah breedah...

Or did you mean the fern-leaf spritzing party I suggested last month?
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Funzo
That shirt has been working wonders* on the home front!

*wonders = me almost getting my ass kicked veryday I wear it :D I still love it though!
Whoa! By who?

All I've been getting is "interesting shirt."
 
Top