1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Shirt collar stiffeners

Discussion in 'Guys Stuff Forum' started by diablo, Jun 9, 2010.

1. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

You know the little two-inch plastic spears that hold out the corners of most dress shirt collars? Why are so many of them these days - rather than being sewn into the collar like they always were - "conveniently" removable?

It's a pain in the ass to pull them out every time you wash a shirt in order to keep them from getting lost in the washer or dryer.

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Tell me about it.

I've got a pile of them on top of my dresser.

I think they made them removable because they would curl if you tossed your shirt in the dryer and become useless.

3. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

They are called "collar stays" I have a couple of mongrammed silver ones that I use instead of plastic. What kind of shirts were you buying where they were sewed in? The only shitt I have where they are fixed inside was some $15 H&M piece.

4. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I've had them in the dryer before, and they were just fine.

Plenty of shirts, both inexpensive and higher-end. In my experience, it's more the cheaper shirts that have the removable stays, if anything.

Most dress shirts that I've worn in years past had either sewn-in stays or thicker fabric for the collar, thereby removing the need to have removable bits of plastic in your collar.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

They're removable so you can iron your collar.

6. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Yeah, I think it is actually my mid-range shirts (Banana Republic, Hudson Room) that have the removable ones. A higher-end shirt is more likely meant to be properly starched, thus eliminating the need. I wouldn't buy a shrit again that has them sewed in. It is either removable or none at all for me from here on in.

7. derek

derek TRIBE Member

yeah, i'm getting the feeling some people don't iron their shirts.

firmly pressed since my mother taught me to iron at 15.

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Do you guys use any starch? I find when I iron I can never get them as crisp and right as when I take them in.

To be honest, I am such a hack with an iron that my easy care shirts look better out of the dryer than my other shirts that I spend too long ironing. This is 2010 damnit, and we're still ironing shirts? Excuse me while I put my clothes through the ringer.

9. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Agreed. As nice as a crisp and clean higher-end dress shirt looks, I can't be arsed ironing them most of the time, and I end up just letting them pile up until I have a whole bunch, which I run through as quickly as possible.

10. derek

derek TRIBE Member

first you need a good iron, something with a little weight. the t-fal ultraglide is nice and reasonably priced at about $50.00.

you'll get differing opinions on starch, i use it rarely, but i have a can on hand if needed.

i iron even the supposedly non-wrinkle shirts.

my wife can't iron, it's actually amusing to watch her try.

the best is when my cousin was over a few months ago, he had a meeting d/t, and ironed the crease out of his dress pants (he placed them flat on the board, like you would with jean, or chinos with no crease). i had to fix it for him as i couldn't let him go d/t for a meeting with creases on the sides, and the line showing on the front of his pants where the crease should've been.

the one part most guys miss on their shirts is the crease caused by the hanger on the shoulders.

my mom use to iron underwear, and we were never allowed to leave the house looking wrinkled. i just do shirts and pants.

i hear some of the handheld steamers are great, for those that aren't handy with an iron.

11. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

I always use spray starch on the collar and cuffs. But try to avoid anything that touches my skin as I hate the way it feels. I've actually been complimented on how crisp my shirts look!

12. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

Can I ask where you bought your monogrammed collar stays? I have been looking around for some locally.

Thanks

13. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Silly question: why would anyone want silver or monogrammed stays when no one is going to see them?

14. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Just going to post this.

If you get the Maxwell's shirts + drycleaned, you won't need to iron your shirts. You have to get the stiff cotton (Egyptian I think, no poly blends)

15. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

They were a gift, but I think she got 'em on Etsy.

And if you're asking that question, you've obviously never been to a "collar stay" party.

16. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i'd avoid drycleaning too often as the chems will mess up the material eventually.

17. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Unless I stain them, once per 6 months. I have a lot of shirts to go around.

This is more true for suits than shirts though, as you can always replace the latter.

18. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

pfft, what kind of peasant has monogrammed collar stays? My collar stays are gold jewel encrusted gifts from the Earl of Bologna.

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

please, you need to upgrade to the platinum model. they're engraved by zen masters using only their breath, and repel ugly chicks, while attracting their hot friends. good-bye wingmen.