• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shigeo Fukuda - Impossible Sculpture

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Stumbled across this on another forum today, but thought it was pretty cool.

The actual sculpture looks like random chaos, but the shadow it projects forms a real image - pretty spiffy IMO.

And this page has a bunch of videos of his artwork / sculptures / etc.

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
whoa, yeah...that is super neato keen a riffic (not being sarcastic, i think it is cool...)

any idea how long these things take to make?
there must be some serious planning going on...

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Whoa. That is some serious sculpture. Where do you even start - it jooks like a big pile of shit but somehow casts a perfect shadow of an object. My head hurts.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
its all about perspective... the angle we look at the "art" make it look like a chunk of crap but if we looked at it at a perspective that the light source is, I am sure it wouldn't be so obviously misconstrued... notice his artwork isn't photographed in regular day light situations?

that said... f'ng cool!

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
dude the shadow is a picture ... in the first shot you can see the shadow of the object ontop of the picture of the motorcycle shadow..

JAR

TRIBE Member
Blue Meanies said:
dude the shadow is a picture ... in the first shot you can see the shadow of the object ontop of the picture of the motorcycle shadow..
wha? come again

The Peej

TRIBE Member
dudes. the "shaddows" are printed. These are not being "cast" by these piles of rubbish.

Look at the rear wheel of the motorcycle. It has light on the "shaddow" making is lighter then the rest of the "shaddow"

I don't even think this is an artist trying to trick or fool us either. I think this is a lost in translation misinterpretation of this artists work. imo.

Edit: The video of the motorcycle is a bit more convincing. But he's still only showing it from deceiving angles. This is a case where I must see to believe. I.E. see it in real life.

cool tho. thanks for the link

Last edited:

d.code

TRIBE Member
The Peej said:
dudes. the "shaddows" are printed. These are not being "cast" by these piles of rubbish.

Look at the rear wheel of the motorcycle. It has light on the "shaddow" making is lighter then the rest of the "shaddow"

I don't even think this is an artist trying to trick or fool us either. I think this is a lost in translation misinterpretation of this artists work. imo.

Edit: The video of the motorcycle is a bit more convincing. But he's still only showing it from deceiving angles. This is a case where I must see to believe. I.E. see it in real life.

cool tho. thanks for the link

I don't know about that..

I do see what you are pointing out here- and it is possible there was something lost in the translation- but light does bounce you know. I think that light spot on the back wheel is simply a backlight (or in this case- a front light) that is overlapping a bit from a main light source.

You can do THE trickiest things with light because its all our eyes have to go on.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
on Sushi TV (the show on the comedy channel where they show highlites of whacky japanese television) they showed a guy making sculptures like this, and actually camera scrolled around the thing to show the shadow.

so although I cant vouch for if these examples of sculptures are what they say to be, I can vouch for the fact that someone out there is good enough to make sculptures in this concept.

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
are you sayin you can't see the shadow of the object ontop of the motorcycle shadow picture? its clearly visable the object is casting a completely different shadow...