1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

SHERLOCK the TV show

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Sep 12, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I have always been a huge fan of the original Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and especially liked Jeremy Brett's intense portrayal of the detective in the Granada TV series made in the 80's.

I have, for the most part, hated Hollywood portrayals of the detective. Much as I like Robert Downey Jr., I thought his recent Holmes movie was just an excuse to blow shit up with computer graphics. It completely missed the point and vibe of the Holmes character IMO.

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched the first season of BBC's Sherlock, a new TV series that seamlessly brings the Holmes and Watson characters into present day London. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's vibe is there, but the characters are placed in our environment of texting, cellphones, and internet.

Holmes, portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch, brings a Jeremy Brett intensity to the role with added dry wit and a touch more darkness. Martin Freeman as Watson is excellent: a gentleman ex-Afghanistan war vet working his way back to life from PTSD.

The men's fashions are great, and the look of the show will set a lot of trends in motion I bet.

The first season contains only three 90 minute episodes and they are worth checking out. I can't wait for season 2.

2. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

my aunt was talking about this show this morning when I had breakfast with her. It sounds like it's definitely worth a checking out...

3. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

great programme.
    wasn't a huge fan of ep02 though.

Ep03 however.... wow. That was some epic shit.

4. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

interesting! had not heard of this series. i'm like you alex, i consider jeremy brett to be the best and that series was awesome!

glad you brought this up as i'll be checking this out.

5. alexd

There is also something to be said for a longer time format too. When the show is good, it is excellent when it runs longer than the usual 50 minutes.

6. Hybrid

Hybrid TRIBE Member

I watched the first episode last night , and really enjoyed it. I like how they show all the texts and data pop up in mid air. Good effect for a digital age.

7. alexd

I bet other shows will be doing this very soon...

8. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I've seen all three. They are great!

9. Shogo

Shogo TRIBE Member

I loved the three parter and am glad to hear they are making more. The catch is that writers and creators are working on Doctor Who now, it might be a while. The guy who played Sherlock was one of two actors who were up for the Doctor's role.

In the UK, there is a already a dvd and bluray out. I was watching the making of thing which was quite good. I'm hoping someone picks it up so the rest of the world can see it. On the intertubes, there is a shorter version of the pilot too which the changes they made which weren't just storywise ;)

10. alexd

Heads up! Sherlock season 2 started last night, and is now available in the wild for DL.

11. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

ew seriously?
    wonder if/when they will put it on PBS again?

12. alexd

This is a different one DG, a modern version produced by the same people that do Dr. Who.

13. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

yeh I know.
    they had it on Masterpiece Theatre last year.

14. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

Season 1 is on Netflix, haven't checked for season 2.

15. alexd

I have a nice little mound of clementines next to me, and I am going to fire up the new SHERLOCK episode! So hyped! What could be better on a freezing cold night...?

16. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Good to know. I'll check it out. Season 2 won't be on yet if it just started. That's a really long time for the next season to come out.. You guys first posted about Season 1 in Sept. 2010?

17. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

Excellent news! Going to dl it now.

18. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

great episode. so well written.

cant wait for next weeks!
    The Hound of Baskerville! CLLLLASSIC

19. alexd

That was rather good! I can't wait till next week's episode.

Clearly some innovative cinematography and effects going on here. I particularly enjoyed the text appearing on the screen as Watson typed in his journal - the text flowed into paragraphs around objects on the wall in the room! Very cool.

20. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

YES!!

So excited when I saw Series 2 was available!

This plus new Ab Fab makes me love the BBC even more

and the new ep is awesome.

Check out the first series on Netflix, it's pretty damn rad

21. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

There was a guy at the swiss chalet at king/simcoe named sherlock. He was a bit of a dick but now that swiss chalet has closed and what became of him is a mystery.

I mention it because his name is sherlock.

22. alexd

The case of the missing sherlock.

23. peko

peko TRIBE Member

Great show! It's more like a movie then a television series.

24. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

I just finished the second episode and I absolutely love this show. I wasn't too sure about Benedict Cumberbatch in the role at first (He just seemed too pretty for me :p), but damn he's perfect as Sherlock. Well done.

^^ In regard to your comment Alex (I love to read about shows as I'm watching. It's a quirk), I found out Sherlock's coat and scarf were a huge hit and became a major fashion staple in England after the show aired. As someone put it, "So it is that Britain's latest men's style icon is a fictional asexual (Ahem: They forgot high functioning), sociopath first seen onscreen hitting a corpse with a stick. Surely not even the great detective himself could have deduced that was going to happen."

:D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  25. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

because of this thread, i downloaded season 1 yesterday (HD versions, 2.5 gigs each) and will start watching them shortly. i will be back. :)