• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

She had the intelligence, creativity and ability, if she didn't stab you in a vital organ

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Stabber on the loose!

Toronto police hunt for ‘dangerous’ woman after stranger stabbed ‘without provocation’ in financial district

Rohinie Bisesar wanted for attempted murder by Toronto police

A 40-year-old Toronto woman is wanted for attempted murder for allegedly stabbing a stranger in a “vital organ” at a drugstore in the city’s financial district.

At 2:55 p.m. Friday, a well-dressed woman armed with a knife entered the Shoppers Drug Mart in Toronto’s underground PATH system at 66 Wellington St. W., inside the TD Bank Tower. She walked up to the victim and stabbed her “in a vital organ,” Const. David Hopkinson said. He would not specify which organ was punctured.

Police have not yet found any connection between the suspect and the victim, he said.

“It is strange,” he said. “We believe it to be a completely unprovoked attack.”

The victim was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries. She remains in grave condition, Hopkinson said Monday afternoon, and police have not yet been able to interview her.

“I don’t believe anyone has spoken to her,” he said. “If we catch her, we might be able to establish that there’s something going on in the background, here, that we don’t know about. But we’ve not found any link.”

The suspect was able to walk away from the scene after the attack, police said.

Police released a photo of the suspect taken from surveillance video Saturday. The suspect was wearing a lavender dress shirt and a black blazer and matching skirt at the time of the attack. She was carrying what appears to be a red shopping bag. On Monday morning, police announced that the suspect had been identified as Rohinie Bisesar.

She is a financial advisor and investor according to her LinkedIn profile. She received her MBA from the Schulich School of Business at York University in 2007. According to her profile, she also received a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in general management from York, a Bachelor of Science in molecular biology from the University of Toronto, a certificate in mining and received a certification from the Canadian Securities Institute. She did consulting work between September 2012 and November 2014, and has been “opportunity seeking” since then.

Bisesar regularly visits shops and plazas in the financial district, and is well-known in the area, police said. If anyone sees the suspect, they are asked to call 9-1-1. Do not approach her, police said. Although she has no criminal history, she is considered “violent and dangerous.”

In four recommendations posted to her LinkedIn page between 2010 and 2012, Bisesar is described as intelligent, determined, dedicated, enthusiastic and professional.

Georges Monette, an associate professor of mathematics and statistics at York University, worked with Bisesar when she was a member of the department’s technical and computing support team from May 1999 to July 2001.

“She was superb both for the outstanding quality of her work and for her warmth and interpersonal skills,” he wrote on Oct. 24, 2010. “She had the intelligence, creativity and ability to work collaboratively that allowed (her) to find excellent solutions to just about any problem researchers and faculty members would present her with.”

She had the intelligence, creativity and ability to work collaboratively
She also received a recommendation from the Chief of Staff in the dean’s office at the Schulich School of Business. Sean Siddik “advised” Bisesar during her time at York University, according to a post he published Sept. 19, 2011.

“I had the opportunity to work closely with Rohinie over the years, during her involvement with the Women In Leadership organization at the Schulich School of Business as well as Women in Capital Markets,” he wrote. “Rohinie was always organized, professional, hard working, and courteous. She demonstrated sound judgment, as well as very strong leadership and entrepreneurial skills. Rohinie was a pleasure to work with, and I wish her all the best on her future endeavours!”

The National Post was unable to contact Monette Monday afternoon. When Siddik was reached by telephone at his Toronto office, he declined to comment on Bisesar. He directed any queries to the school’s media relations team.

Police are still searching for the suspect.

Anyone with information about Bisesar is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at 222tips.com, or to text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).

from the national post
Rohinie Bisesar wanted for attempted murder by Toronto police | National Post

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this, there is no catharsis; my punishment continues to elude me, and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself. No new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I have this feeling that she's dealing with some serious mental health issue. Off to the hospital with her.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Mental issue for sure

Rohinie Bisesar, arrested and charged with attempted murder in random stabbing, struggled with career
Republish
Reprint
Aileen Donnelly and Richard Warnica | December 15, 2015 10:10 PM ET
Rohinie Bisesar's mental health has deteriorated in the last several years, a friend says.
Courtesy of Karl GutowskiRohinie Bisesar's mental health has deteriorated in the last several years, a friend says.
Twitter Google+ Reddit Email Typo? More
She used to sit in the window at the coffee shop — same stool, same spot — day after day, working on her laptop. She wore the same two suits and the same two shirts: one white, the other lavender. But she looked the part anyway, professional, ready to work. The thing is, though, it was a part, a role she was playing, not a life she really had.

On Tuesday afternoon, Toronto police arrested Rohinie Bisesar, an MBA and financial district regular, and charged her with attempted murder. Police believe Bisesar walked into a downtown drugstore Friday afternoon and hacked a knife into a stranger’s chest, wounding her grievously. Then she walked away.

Bisesar’s story made international news when police released her name Monday. She appeared online to be as far from a common criminal as could be. She went to one of Canada’s best business schools, at York University. She worked in finance and consulting. Her LinkedIn page featured a slew of glowing praise from former colleagues.

But according to one friend, the life Bisesar lived online was largely a mirage, at least in recent years. Karl Gutowski has known Bisesar for eight years. He said Tuesday she struggled to find work after completing her MBA in 2007. Bisesar, 40, networked hard, he said, but could never land anything for more than a few months at a time.

‘She seemed very sweet but odd’
And in the past several years, Gutowski said, Bisesar’s mental health had deteriorated. She was hospitalized in 2014. She was alienated from her family and she appeared to be increasingly paranoid.

“She’s a sweet person,” Gutowski said. But lately, “she seemed very sweet but odd.”

Police say Bisesar was arrested Tuesday at approximately 3:05 p.m. Ten minutes earlier, someone using Bisesar’s personal email address sent a message to the National Post.

Gutowski’s confirmed that the email address is authentic and that Bisesar had been using it Tuesday. But the Post could not independently confirm that the message came from her.

The email opens with a plea:

“Do you know any top professionals in artificial intelligence, biotechnology, nanotechnology, satellites?” it said. “Maybe Military. Maybe Government?

“Something has been happening to me and this is not my normal self and I would like to know who and why this is happening. There is either a single person or more responsible and who and why would be nice to know.”

Related
Toronto police hunt for ‘dangerous’ woman after stranger stabbed ‘without provocation’ in financial district
It then goes on to address the stabbing.

“I am sorry about the incidence,” the email said. “I felt the need to be extreme to see if it would work. I would normally not do such a thing.”

Gutowski said Bisesar’s successful friends helped her through years of unemployment, letting her sleep on their couches or lending her money.

“She’s been able to sustain herself from a large network of friends,” he said. “I speculate the list got shorter and shorter.”

Her only real break came in 2010 when she landed a job at GMP Capital, a financial services firm with an office on King Street West, he said. But her employment there only lasted about eight months.

“She got that one job, but she didn’t get to keep it for too long,” Gutowski said. “She couldn’t adjust to pretty normal office politics.”

Friday’s stabbing happened in the heart of Toronto’s financial district, at a Shopper’s Drug Mart in the underground PATH system. The victim, who hasn’t been identified, suffered life-threatening injuries.

Toronto Police
Toronto PoliceRohinie Bisesar in surveillance images.
Police charged Bisesar Tuesday with attempted murder, aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon. She was due to appear in court Wednesday morning.

News of the apparently random attack rippled through the tight financial district this week. Bisesar was well known in several coffee shops in the area. And until about a month ago, she was a regular at a Starbucks on Yonge and Adelaide streets, according to the manager, Ryan Baron.

Baron said Bisesar sat for months most days at a window bench near the bathroom. He didn’t find anything unusual about her. She was quiet, polite. But about a month ago, she just stopped showing up.

As for Gutowski, he continued to stay in touch with Bisesar even as she alienated many others in her life. She had supported his career and encouraged him to succeed, and he wanted to help her get over her illness. They’ve exchanged more than 1,100 emails over the past five years.

“I was trying to be the voice of reason,” Gutowski said. “But you can’t really reason with a person who’s not sharing anything except her own circular reasoning, which is very faulty.”
Rohinie Bisesar, arrested and charged with attempted murder in random stabbing, struggled with career | National Post

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
"superb both for the outstanding quality of her work and for her warmth and interpersonal skills," - LinkedIn recommendation.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I had the feeling this would happen. This case is sad. I hope the stabbed woman ends up recovering, and I hope this one gets the mental health treatment she needs. She's probably going to go to a psych ward and will be monitored for a long time. Little if any jail time me thinks.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
It is sad. Hopefully both the victim and Bisesar get the help they need to be fully rehabilitated.

I have to return some video tapes

derek

TRIBE Member
^^^

that sucks.

also, i'm not suggesting she isn't mentally ill and doesn't need the proper help; i find it interesting though at the amount of empathy for her, it it were a dude i don't think there be the same level. there'd be some pitchforks out

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

that sucks.

also, i'm not suggesting she isn't mentally ill and doesn't need the proper help; i find it interesting though at the amount of empathy for her, it it were a dude i don't think there be the same level. there'd be some pitchforks out
If she was a hideous hag she would have received no sympathy whatsoever and absolutely no media coverage.

I wonder, was she shot, tazed, or did she kill herself? Even if in hospital, she was supposed to be under arrest, right?

derek

TRIBE Member
Yes you can be in a hospital and under custody.

Too true her looks played into the reaction as well. Funny how society is sometimes

I can't imagine what the family of the victim is going through. Truly sucks.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djfear

TRIBE Member
^^^

that sucks.

I think this is a fair point and I do agree with you.

I have sympathy for this woman (and the victim and her family as well), and this is a peculiar thing for me, so I decided to list the reasons why I may feel like this. The impression I am getting from the media is that she has a mental illness. Now, let's take a step away and compare this to... say... the greyhound bus murder from a few years ago.

That murder was gruesome, it was a middle aged asian man on a cross-country bus, and he ended up going to a mental health institution and even received day-passes. He received NO sympathy from the public, so why are we giving this woman some sympathy, or at least why don't we see any hatred for her? These might be some possible factors:

1. She's apparently educated
2. She's apparently been off work and has just been sitting in a coffee shop in her own dream world. A sad state of affairs already.
3. We immediately suspected something was up with her mental health
4. We have zero information about the victim, there are no "victim was a fun loving mom who took her kids for hot chocolate" stories.
5. She's pretty and well dressed.
6. White collar financial types can relate to her. "I'm stressed at work too, I also just got laid off." etc.

This is probably why you're seeing this reaction.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Odd that in the other random stabbing and murder of Mark Ernsting, the media focused on the victim with little attention to the man in custody.

djfear

TRIBE Member
It's story time

Several months ago I was walking in the path and I see this construction guy walking in the opposite direction. He had a construction hat with him, and a typical outfit that downtown construction guys are rocking.

As we were walking in this hallway towards each other, I saw him shoulder check some guy in a suit - deliberately. And I also saw two guys walking beside me notice this as well.

I was next in his path. I adjusted my course towards the middle right side of the hallway to avoid him - and he adjusted course as well! I pretended not to notice him but when he shouldered checked me I was ready and met him with resistance of my own.

A couple of words were exchanged as we were passed each other and he raised his hands like he was ready to fight. I just turned around and kept walking and I had an exchange with the two guys that witnessed the whole thing.

The thing that went through my mind was "this guy's in construction and he surely has a knife on him (for work), and he looks pissed, like he just got fired.", so i figured the guy has less to lose than I do, hence why I didn't have a battle to the death between First Canadian & the Scotiabank Plaza. But it reminded me... there could be more crazies lurking about and we're a hair's-length away from triggering something crazy.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
News stories are way more interesting when it involves an attractive female, even when looks have no bearing on the subject matter. I thought everybody knew that.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Shows the emptiness and emotion behind the claims of our "coddling justice system" letting murderers off the hook for "mental illness"

What about the victims?

These stories are notable for not pushing the "outrage machine" buttons

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders