• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Shazam partners with Beatport

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Looks like track ID's may become a whole lot easier...

----------------------
Music app Shazam has announced a partnership with online music retailer Beatport.

The deal will see the UK firm, which passed 275 million users last year, gain immediate access to Beatport's entire catalogue of music. The Shazam app is designed for mobile users to identify—or "tag"—songs stored on its databases. The company says the technology will be able to identify songs that have been slowed down or sped up, with around 1.5 million new tracks added to its database, which previously stood at 25 million.

Will Mills, Shazam's director of music and content, said 31 of the top 100 most tagged tracks of 2012 were dance music. Mills said: "From Ibiza to LA to Tokyo and beyond, fans of electronic dance music... will now be able to experience more of the dance tracks they love every time they use Shazam when they go out." Beatport CEO Matthew Adell echoed these sentiments: "Adding the Beatport catalogue to Shazam's database is a great way for fans of dance music to discover songs that are being played by DJs all over the world," he said. "Our partnership also gives DJs and producers exposure to an enormous audience of potential new fans."

RA News: Shazam sign Beatport deal

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oeretS

TRIBE Member
on first glance I didn't pay much mind to this, but I guess it's pretty huge for track IDing both at the club and at home with DJ mixes, considering most tracks in the house/techno genre are on Beatport. Good stuff.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Fucking a. Just downloaded it as my last-ditch attempt to ID a track i've been looking for for months. I will wonder no more. Best. Fucking best.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
I LOVE Shazam. I use it all of the time because I've become totally clueless when it comes to who things are - even music I own.

My memory is shot to hell.

alison87

TRIBE Member
I feel like i'm going to start using it a lot more. I've literally spent hours and hours over the last few months listening through previews trying to find this one track, i went through almost every single label and artist in my iTunes back to early 2012. Of course said track came out in 2011, sigh.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
i couldn't get shazam to work worth a damn for the music i listen to.

it was deleted off my droid a very long time ago.

It's a very awesome app and all that. Just didn't work 2/3rds of the time for me.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
However, I seriously doubt that Shazam can ID this house track I have from some UK tv series I have on VHS tape from the mid 90s which I've never even heard in a club...

alison87

TRIBE Member
Sweet! Check out his album, Ali. It's very good!

I've been digging his productions for some time.
I had a listen to the album previews but didn't hear anything else that really stood out to me. It's funny, 10 years ago i probably would've bought the album and listened to it a lot because all i did was buy albums, now i'm buying individual tracks i tend to look for very specific styles and sounds and i've given up being a completist.

I do have his Modul8 EP, though, that's a nice one for layering. Actually, the kind of thing i wouldn't have bought 10 years ago because it sounds better mixed than on its own ;-)

videotronic

TRIBE Member
SFX buys beatport for a little north of $50 million

SFX Buys Beatport | Billboard

SFX Entertainment continues its buying spree in the EDM world with the purchase of music-download site Beatport, a source confirmed to Billboard.biz today. The deal was for slightly more than $50 million, the source said, although SFX chief Robert F. X. Sillerman declined to name the price. The news was first reported in the New York Times.

Beatport head Matthew Adell told the paper that being part of SFX could help the company expand into live events as well as internationally.

“We already are by far the largest online destination of qualified fans and talent in the market,” he said, “and we can continue to grow that.”

Beatport had $15-18 million in revenue last year but had losses of around $2 million.

Last month, SFX added five new companies to its portfolio, including Voodoo Experience and ID&T -- the largest dance-event promoter in the world -- giving the company a significant foothold in the North American festival market, and not just in EDM.

Last year, SFX acquired Dayglow Productions ("The World's Largest Paint Party”) and Disco Donnie Presents, and had been expected to purchase Insomniac Events, the producer of Electric Daisy Carnival, but the ID&T news and a rival bid from Live Nation seemed to make that less likely. The two companies host similar, potentially competitive events. Speaking with Billboard.biz last month, Sillerman, however, did not count out an Insomniac deal.

"We never comment on stuff like that, but it's fair to say that we've been talking to everybody," he says. "Pasquale [Rotella, Insomniac president] is in his own way a genius, and has accomplished things that no one else has come close to. So with that level of respect, you can draw your own conclusion."

alison87

TRIBE Member
That's pretty big news. I hope this SFX dude (who?) doesn't drop Beatport as soon as the Next Cool Thing happens in pop music. I know a lot of people recommend using other stores, but Beatport has opened a whole new world of music to me and it would suck to go back to the dark old days of having to go to niche stores that only sell certain labels/genres.

Now if only they'd fix their stupid player so it doesn't freeze up all the time...

The Truth

TRIBE Member
I'm surprised they were bought for only $50M, even though they are the dominant player in the download market..and they made a $2M loss last year!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alison87

TRIBE Member
Honestly given how little artists and label owners in this scene earn, i'm not surprised Beatport isn't raking in the cash. Pretty much everyone i know under the age of 30 pirates all their music - DJs/producers included! I suspect it doesn't take a whole lot of sales to get into Beatport's "top 10", because there just aren't that many people left who still buy music.

The real value of Beatport for artists/labels is as a PR tool for their own gigs/swag/etc, which is something Beatport themselves never really got a slice of in the past. But now that they're part of this "EDM" conglomerate, that's gonna give them the opportunity to make money on both sides. No doubt they will start "featuring" certain acts on the site and mailing list to try drum up interest in their own events. The less cynical way of looking at it is that it might also allow "unknown" artists to be discovered/booked for those big events because they know that "most people who bought Tiesto also bought unknown artist XYZ", but i can't see that being sustainable. If the inevitable cross-promotion does end up being at the expense of people being able to easily find new and interesting music (which is what i personally use the site for), then that'd be a shame.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Shazam have announced a deal with online dance music retailer Juno that will see the mobile firm add thousands of vinyl-only tracks to its database.

The partnership will let Shazam tap into Juno's pool of four million digital tracks, as well as all new vinyl releases. Though Shazam searches for vinyl material are relatively small— for example, Bicep's vinyl-only track "$tripper" has been 'Shazammed' 50,000 times, while searches for digitally available David Guetta tracks have topped 70 million—the deal is sure to help people who use the app in nightclubs.

The announcement comes at a time when vinyl is enjoying an upward swing in sales, with Juno reporting a 20 percent rise in the past year. "We are really excited to share our unique catalogue through this new partnership with Shazam," says Juno's managing director Richard Atherton. "Many of the releases we stock and sell are often not available on commercial download stores for weeks after their release on Juno." The current Juno database has now been added to Shazam, and will continue to grow as new digital and vinyl titles arrive each week.

"Juno has the world's most comprehensive catalogue and widest source of genres in dance music and we are very excited to form this exclusive partnership with them, especially as it includes vinyl," says Shazam's Will Mills. "Vinyl music is seeing a resurgence in the industry, with sales at their highest for 15 years."

Mills added: "Crucially, some of the most important and exciting new music is released on vinyl first before later hitting digital. So this gives Shazam's 420 million global users an even better experience with the world's newest and most innovative music, which is sometimes beyond the digital ecosystem." The deal comes a year after a similar agreement was struck between Shazam and digital-only retailer Beatport.

RA News: Shazam teams up with Juno