1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

sharpening knifes?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by krosum, Jun 16, 2008.

1. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

hey tribe.
    i have a good set of henckels but i need to sharpen them.
    is there a place that does this around parkdale?
    kro

2. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Sharpening Stone FTW!

3. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Get a stone!
    You can get one in Chinatown for like $10. They're great.

Make sure to watch some Youtube videos on it cuz most people do it wrong.

Queer Eye has a good lesson on it. Handle to point, swiping across diagonally to the point with your left hand pressing down... Ah, forget it. Just youtube some videos.

4. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

You can also get the stones and a knife sharpening DVD from Lee Hardware on King West.

You'll need two grits - one coarser the other finer to polish. They'll be able to help you out there.

Practice on a shitty knife first. These are wet stones.

-- Jay aka Fut

5. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Yes, that is a good idea to practice. I did the same thing. Still not great at it but it gets the job done.

LOVE Lee Valley.

6. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

7. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

Yes, Lee Valley. Forgot the proper name.

Tons of stuff in that place. Ridiculous store.

-- Jay aka Fut

8. RobotHouse

RobotHouse TRIBE Member

if its an expensive knife you are planning on sharpening and really taking care of just take it in and get it professionally sharpened. itll give an edge that no home sharpening with a stone can get.

9. Mephisto

Mephisto TRIBE Member

stones+1! i use 1000 and 6000 grit water stones. takes a bit of practice to get a feel for the proper bevel angle so use the penny trick as a reference to start out. korin(nyc) has an excellent video on sharpening which you could order. they also have it looping in the store so you could go and watch the whole thing or, better yet, sit in on a lesson with their resident knife master.
    [​IMG]

10. vox

vox TRIBE Member

that's not true. i've gotten my knives sharp enough to shave my arm hairs off.

i think i have a 1000, 4000, and either a 6000 or an 8000.

if you're using a water stone, don't use a steel to hone the blade.

11. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

Go HERE, and get something like this (325x / 1200x 8")

[​IMG]

It'll offer you what is, IMO, the best balance between speed, durability, and edge. It'll sharpen quicker and with less hassle/mess than wetstones, and it'lll be PLENTY sharp for any kitchen duty you could ever need (if you know what you're doing, this thing will get a knife sharp enough to shave). I also find you don't want an edge TOO fine. the super-fine edges will be better at push-cutting, but most people don't use kitchen knives in that manner. A SLIGHTLY coarse edge will give a nice bite. I usually stop at the 325 grit side.

12. AgentSanchez

This is incorrect information. A steel can restore any bent/warped cutting edge, and that is it's primary purpose. I like to pull the knife so that it moves in the direction of it's spine. It'll take a bit longer but it's more forgiving to the edge. You really can damage an edge with a steel if you don't know what you're doing.

13. OutcastTO

OutcastTO TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

I have one of these and its great. Cost around 30 bucks if I remember correctly.

14. SolChild

SolChild TRIBE Promoter

Nellla Cucina shapens knives, its about 3/knife.
    they do a good job too...that's where I take my Globals.

15. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I have this one guy in a truck, and he drives in my neighborhood ringing a bell and you run out to him and he will sharpen anything you have in your home lol. This guy does a wicked job too, but I think you need to live a an Italian Portugues neighborhood in order to get this service lol.

16. workdowntown

workdowntown TRIBE Member

HAH! I have the knife van guy too! Those guys are great, they know the difference between chisel-ground and regular V bevels for one thing.

unfinished ceramic plate edge = great sharpener.

17. alcid

alcid TRIBE Member

18. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I def. remember the old guys who'd come walking through the neighbourhood (annex, 1970's) ringing a bell, towing their sharpening cart behind them. Prolly got about 1-2 customers per street, if that. My mom used them once a year - they did a really good job! Nice to see that the next generation have upgraded to four wheels. I heard the guy going through our 'hood last weekend. Might have to get out there the next time he comes by.

19. djglobalkiller

djglobalkiller TRIBE Promoter

nella cucina on bathurst/bloor gets a second vote.. they are good with the end product, and can always recommend a good home system if you want to buy a stone..

i been in the industry for years now :)

20. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

any chef want to recommend a good set for me... knives were the only thing I didn't put on my wedding registry... and i'm dying for a set now.

21. krosum

krosum TRIBE Member

sweet... thanks all !!

22. vox

vox TRIBE Member

if you're doing the japanese wetstones and you have the super-fine ones for polishing, i would never, ever use a steel on them...what's the point? it's counterproductive and you don't have the same control as with the stones.

23. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

24. AgentSanchez

P.S.

It's "Knives"!

25. isoprax

isoprax TRIBE Promoter

I've been an industrial Butcher for 9+ years and I can say without hesitation, from what I've read here, I wouldn't want to use a knife any of you sharpened :p

I'm pretty sure those of you who do your own knives at home believe you can get them 'razor sharp' and that you're pretty good at it. If my knife at work was 'razor sharp' I'd be injured in no time. It's just not sharp enough. Seriously.

I've seen people at work who've been taught all the right steps, techniques and given the right tools and lots of time to practice and yet still only get their knives 'razor sharp'.

It is an art. In my room of 200+ people there were less than 5 who truly understood how to take a knife and put it work. It takes years to learn and that's in an environment where you're using it for 8-10 hours per day. When your knife has even a microscopic burr on it's primary edge you'll feel it. When your secondary edge is too thick, too short or at the wrong angle you'll feel it. When your blade has even a slight warp to it (usually gained through inconsistent and uneven stoning) you'll feel it. And this is before we get to Steeling. Steeling itself is a whole art form in and of itself.

On many, many occasions I've seen people work day in and day out with a knife they thought was the best it could be and the look on their face when you show them it can be better is one of utter disbelief and then fascination.

I'm not trying to discourage. But keep in mind it's not something you just pick up.